New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

Just been looking at the Terriers and am tempted at that price.  Of interest is that they have a pre-order for a DCC Ready Terrier R3467 but over double the price of the club exclusives at £74.99

I hadn't noticed the DCC status for R3467 in the tech spec before, I think its a recent addition to the description.

It might be that Hornby realised that the Club Terriers looked a bargain against the main range release, so included the info that R3467 will be DCC Ready to differentiate it from R3247/8 and justify the higher price.

We'll see, once the Club models get into our hands!

Update:  My "Whitechapel" is now running light engine towards its new home.  I'll put some new straw out in its kennel.......

Edited by Hroth

I was just looking at the Hornby "Club Exclusive" page and it struck me that this week is the first time in over two years that everything is available and not pre-order.

Apart from the Jinty and the Centenary wagon which are "out of stock".

Amazing!

Oh, and Hornbys warehouse is shut for stocktaking between the 27th Jan and 2nd Feb so if you order between those dates, there will be a delay in fulfilling the order.

My "Whitechapel" arrived this morning.

Its a nice little thing but a bit noisy at speed, though the slow speed running is quite good (although not as good as a Sentinel).

Post #177 notes that the main range Terrier is being offered as "DCC READY". "Whitechapel" isn't. There's a "DCC Ready" notice printed on the end-flap with the loco identifier, but it has been carefully obscured with a white sticker.  I shouldn't think its too difficult to hardwire an 11 quid Hattons decoder into the loco!   Just had a look at the space available (without removing the body). There may be room in the boiler, but otherwise its a pretty tight fit around the motor.  It would have to be something similar to the Sentinel decoder in terms of size!

Edited by Hroth

I see Rails are showing both Whitechapel and the KESR terriers as pre-orders. They are obviously anticipatng Hornby won't sell them all to club members and have to distribute them more widely. There will be a hefty mark up though!

Received my pair today in a huge box that was big enough to contain ten Terriers! They look very good, and I've given them a test run and they are very sure-footed. They also seem to be much lower geared than my Waddon that was purchased new over a decade ago. Has the chassis been retooled to make it better or are Hornby just getting better at putting them together?

• RMweb Gold

I see Rails are showing both Whitechapel and the KESR terriers as pre-orders. They are obviously anticipatng Hornby won't sell them all to club members and have to distribute them more widely. There will be a hefty mark up though!

It looks as though 'Sutton' is already sold out. 

It looks as though 'Sutton' is already sold out. 

Somewhere in the mists of time, when the Terriers were first announced as club models (about 2013, I think), it was stated that there would be 1000 Whitechapels and 750 Suttons.  If Hornby stuck to those production figures, then its possible that all the Suttons have been spoken for and that Whitechapel is not far behind.  Esp at £35, which is a bargain compared to the plonking 0-4-0s (excluding the Caley Pug, which I quite like!).

Somewhere in the mists of time, when the Terriers were first announced as club models (about 2013, I think), it was stated that there would be 1000 Whitechapels and 750 Suttons.  If Hornby stuck to those production figures, then its possible that all the Suttons have been spoken for and that Whitechapel is not far behind.  Esp at £35, which is a bargain compared to the plonking 0-4-0s (excluding the Caley Pug, which I quite like!).

I brought 5 at that price 10 years ago which includes Bodiam. Sutton makes a nice companion. I also have the Dapol Stepney Brought 10 years previously for £45.

Dare I add the SECR one?

I suppose now we're well into the New Year, it must be renewal time for some Club members.

What was your reason for ponying up 20 quid?  Was it to:

• Gain access to a particular club model
  • Obtain the £20 voucher to discount a desired club model
  • Get an ongoing 10% off non-sale items on the website
  • Receive the wonderful club magazine

Given that Hornby has only just completed releasing models promised over the past couple of years and hasn't (to date) announced a new high value club model, will you be immediately renewing your membership?  Or will you let it lapse until something comes up?

My club membership expires at the end of June, so I've a few months to decide.  I'll admit I only paid up because I had an unreasoning desire to own an unsullied BoB for "only" £105.  I've bought a couple of other club locos as well (Down boys!!!) but none of my recent Hornby buys have attracted the 10% discount and the one model I am interested in, which may turn up towards the end of this year is a few quid cheaper to pre-order from a certain Liverpool vendor (inc carr) than the Hornby offering with club discount and free delivery!

So I'm in two minds.

Renew, or wait until something interesting turns up, THEN renew?

I joined specifically because the two Terriers looked really nice and were at a very good price. If nothing of similar interest turns up, then I won't renew.

To be honest though, my membership of the Bachmann Collectors' club is the same and sporadic depending upon what models appear for members. The last time I joined I think it was for the grey SECR C class.

Must admit I have been disappointed with the club this year. My membership is up for renewal next month and the jury is out on renewal. The club magazine seems poorer than ever and there are less of them. I used to benefit from the 10% discount in several locations but even that is restricted these days. The £20 voucher is also restricted to club models only whereas previously it was useable on all products on the Hornby website. I spent this year's voucher on the Jinty as it was the only model that remotely interested me. If they don't produce new models for next year I doubt there will be anything for me to spend the voucher on.

Must admit I have been disappointed with the club this year. My membership is up for renewal next month and the jury is out on renewal. The club magazine seems poorer than ever and there are less of them. I used to benefit from the 10% discount in several locations but even that is restricted these days. The £20 voucher is also restricted to club models only whereas previously it was useable on all products on the Hornby website. I spent this year's voucher on the Jinty as it was the only model that remotely interested me. If they don't produce new models for next year I doubt there will be anything for me to spend the voucher on.

I must admit that my feelings are the same - and I would have preferred to spend the voucher on "non-club models". Sadly, I did not find the club magazine to be that informative or useful and in all probability will not be renewing my membership this year.

Linners

• RMweb Gold

I went with the digital version to get the voucher for £15, and have benefited considerably from the 10% as well. The lack of D&E is a shame, but I'd prefer lower cost models to spend it on. Doing one modern loco at over £100 is no good if it's not something I'm after I bought the WD Jinty as it's different. If Whitechapel is still in stock at renewal time i'll renew and get one of those as I like small steam locos. As I don't plan major spend on their website this year, if there are no Club locos of interest I probably won't renew otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere in the mists of time, when the Terriers were first announced as club models (about 2013, I think), it was stated that there would be 1000 Whitechapels and 750 Suttons.  

As I recall the original (and very odd) idea was that 'Sutton' would only be available to people who also bought 'Whitechapel'. 

• RMweb Gold

I brought 5 at that price 10 years ago which includes Bodiam. Sutton makes a nice companion. I also have the Dapol Stepney Brought 10 years previously for £45.

Dare I add the SECR one?

It's worth noting that the SECR one (the preserved "Waddon") carried that livery until 1930, so it's justifiable on early Southern era layouts too.

I'm seriously tempted by manston. But I've just bought Bude as I've got more Battle of Britain's then West Country's. Strange reversal of real life. Gonna pay all my bills and c how much I've got left to play about with b4 committing to manston. But on the whole I've been left seriously unsatisisfied by the club as a whole. So I won't b renewing till they release some more models that are up my street.

Big james

In the Hornby 2014 catalogue, the only prices mentioned for any item are for the Collectors Club locos.

As well as the club prices we are all familiar with, the locos are listed with production run numbers and non-member prices including:

R3247 Whitechapel (1000) £64.99

R3248 Sutton (1000) £64.99

R3249 Manston (750) £157.49

R3250 Flying Scotsman (500) £162.99

So the £59.50 quoted by Rails is a bit of a discount on the original non-member price.  But if you want a Whitechapel, you're still better off jointing the club!