New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

I’m unconvinced it will be any different nor will it attract current or modern era modellers . Time will tell, I read the advert in Hornby Magazine today, certainly has a lot to shout about but will it have any conviction only time will tell.

The new club package sounds like a carbon copy of the Bachmann club. I think the free wagon, free catalogue, quarterly magazine etc will be fine providing the club locos are sufficiently enticing. Bachmann have done a good job with high quality club exclusive models. If Hornby follow this trend then I think that they will finally have found the correct formula.

There has been complete silence on this from Hornby with regard to existing members. I joined in July, to get the discount on an order which my LMS did not have available aling with free postage.  Therefore I was expecting to get 4 issues of the Magazine (Autumn 2017 through to Summer 2018) and other benefits. The Summer edition for the Magazine said the autumn issue would be out on September 14th!

Hornby will have a lot to do to in order to regain my goodwill and get me to sign up to the revised Collectors Club.

Off topic but I seem to have made a habit of this as a joined the Friends of Duxford two weeks before the Imperial War Museums did a similar thing in abolishing what I had signed up to and replacing with another product at a higher price.

• RMweb Gold

So what happens to existing members, are we grandfathered in, for the remainder of our term ?

or do we just lose the rest of our membership ?

Do I need to spend my £15 voucher on something with 10% off double quick from my existing membership ? do I lose both on Nov 1st ?

@£40, or £80 to earn “points” buying at full RRP from Hornby’s website, there’s not a lot there in it for me. Club models always leak out to ebay at some point, given the high RRPs now seen I doubt there’s margin in it for carpet baggers anymore.

Edit: just called the hotline, the new start date isn’t decided yet but it’s apparently fairly soon, but we will be contacted by email. However the existing club, memberships and benefits will be terminated and it’s expected we will have to sign up again to the new club.

Time to spend that voucher whilst you can. With the loss of the Price being secured at the time of ordering and losing the 10% discount I will cancel my preorders and reorder elsewhere.

It was a nice incentive that by ordering in Jan 2016 & getting 10% off, then waiting for the locos to be made, but safe in having secured the original price regardless price rises years later, at a time when other retailers have been shifting prices as it suits.

For example, in Oct 2016 I ordered Holland Africa Line rrp £184, discounted to £166, price was held until it was released in 2017 despite the price rising to £209, with Hattons and Rails selling at £189. (I subsequently sold my TTS chip for £45 and reduced my MN to £121)... that made the club worthwhile being a part of, even if it delivered little else in way of benefits.

Unfortunately if all preorders are to be repriced at full RRP then one example is my lilleshall Peckett jumped from £80 ordered on announcement with 10% club discount to October 2017’s new full RRP of £99...err no thanks.

I have pecketts, Duchess, MN, SECR all on preorder at Jan 2017 pricing and discounting, If they do follow through on this, it’s time to cancel all and reorder someplace else’s before they sell out as I suspect this could be a serengeti migration of pre-orders with cancellations @Hornby and reordering elsewhere coming.

I think Hornby may have miscalculated here, as despite the club being pants, it was a great incentive to order from a Hornby direct, you get the model first, at a price generally more or less equal than the retail discount price and Hornby gets the extra margin (as despite the price, it’s still higher than trade price to a shop). But price volatility on the high st, sell by dates on models and now disincentivising the end user.. my cancellations will go in, but my replacement pre-orders will become selective and delayed until an actual release/price is known.

Edited by adb968008

A very useful reply adb968008 .

If what you say about pre-orders are true, are not Hornby in breach of contract?. I have just gone onto their web-site and gone through the process of pre-ordering a  Peckett and no where does it tell me that my club discount will be removed when I pay.

I think if they go through with the plans as you say the small claim court or Trading Standards in Kent might be a little busy.

So what happens to existing members, are we grandfathered in, for the remainder of our term ?

or do we just lose the rest of our membership ?

Do I need to spend my £15 voucher on something with 10% off double quick from my existing membership ? do I lose both on Nov 1st ?

@£40, or £80 to earn “points” buying at full RRP from Hornby’s website, there’s not a lot there in it for me. Club models always leak out to ebay at some point, given the high RRPs now seen I doubt there’s margin in it for carpet baggers anymore.

Edit: just called the hotline, the new start date isn’t decided yet but it’s apparently fairly soon, but we will be contacted by email. However the existing club, memberships and benefits will be terminated and it’s expected we will have to sign up again to the new club.

Time to spend that voucher whilst you can. With the loss of the Price being secured at the time of ordering and losing the 10% discount I will cancel my preorders and reorder elsewhere.

It was a nice incentive that by ordering in Jan 2016 & getting 10% off, then waiting for the locos to be made, but safe in having secured the original price regardless price rises years later, at a time when other retailers have been shifting prices as it suits.

For example, in Oct 2016 I ordered Holland Africa Line rrp £184, discounted to £166, price was held until it was released in 2017 despite the price rising to £209, with Hattons and Rails selling at £189. (I subsequently sold my TTS chip for £45 and reduced my MN to £121)... that made the club worthwhile being a part of, even if it delivered little else in way of benefits.

Unfortunately if all preorders are to be repriced at full RRP then one example is my lilleshall Peckett jumped from £80 ordered on announcement with 10% club discount to October 2017’s new full RRP of £99...err no thanks.

I have pecketts, Duchess, MN, SECR all on preorder at Jan 2017 pricing and discounting, If they do follow through on this, it’s time to cancel all and reorder someplace else’s before they sell out as I suspect this could be a serengeti migration of pre-orders with cancellations @Hornby and reordering elsewhere coming.

I think Hornby may have miscalculated here, as despite the club being pants, it was a great incentive to order from a Hornby direct, you get the model first, at a price generally more or less equal than the retail discount price and Hornby gets the extra margin (as despite the price, it’s still higher than trade price to a shop). But price volatility on the high st, sell by dates on models and now disincentivising the end user.. my cancellations will go in, but my replacement pre-orders will become selective and delayed until an actual release/price is known.

I contacted Hornby about this and they commented that my existing membership would run to its expiry. I thought the 10% discount was continuing? I very much doubt that they would cancel existing members order portfolio. So I would wait until full details for existing members are announce before rushing to conclusions. Then we can all make an informed factual choice.

• RMweb Gold

I contacted Hornby about this and they commented that my existing membership would run to its expiry. I thought the 10% discount was continuing? I very much doubt that they would cancel existing members order portfolio. So I would wait until full details for existing members are announce before rushing to conclusions. Then we can all make an informed factual choice.[/size]

That’s worrying, I telephoned this morning too, which is what prompted my post.

You’ve been told it will stand.

I’ve been told the opposite.

No mention of 10% on the new website...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/thecollector

It does say..

“Earn Loyalty Reward Points with every purchase”

The absence of one and emergence of another, I do take as to be a replacement.

I agree we have to wait and see, but two different messages on the same day doesn’t inspire me to believe much.

From a sales ploy, I can’t help thinking the new club with its raised price is a ruse, Bachmanns club is massively successful, if they tempt Bachmann to price match Hornby’s club, both could fail.. who is going to pay £80 or £160 a year for 2 full fat club memberships ? By with a little clever marketing Hornby would then have denied Bachmann of a very successful sales channel which is much harder to rebuild once the goodwill is lost...

Edited by adb968008

The £80 membership includes a subscription to Hornby Magazine which is currently about £44 per year.

Jason

Its £37.99 with the yearbook thrown in as well

http://shop.keypublishing.com/subscription/view/publication/HM/Hornby-Magazine-Subscription

Si the Hornby Collector Plus costs £2.01 more and you do not get the yearbook. Not exactly brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I renewed for the collectors club last April, and I’ve seen nothing for my money.

Unlike in the past I went for the download option, does anyone know where one can download the club mag from ? - looking at the downloads area nothing has been updated for months.

Whilst I get all their other marketing gumpf, I never get one about the mag.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Bottom of two handrails, entering the footplate, who’s cab has lots of rivets, and a Vac Pipe, missing its bag, that provides higher than the buffer beam.

Suggests it’s not a tender engine (would only be 1 handrail), and running plate, wouldn’t be continuous.

But that it is continuous eliminates a number of tank engines too..

So were left with a GWR tank engine, that’s not a 41/51/61xx.

• RMweb Gold

Edit,.

I’ve 180’d my opinion.

The two images aren’t related.

Agreed bottom one, if it were linked to the top image, could only be 813...

However that’s not possible, the Loco has Orange black lining.. which 813 has to my knowledge never had. Similarly (and this is obscure), but looking at the 813 website, it’s overhaul was completed in June 2016.. with a black vac pipe and the Loco unpainted, but in may 2016 it was not yet fitted, since painting it’s pipe is black. That said, the Manor parked next to it in May 2016, certainly did have red pipes.

It could be another industrial, Hudswell Clarke, kitson ?

For example, How about this one, picture taken from the front of the footplate looking back towards the bunker..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/Kitson-Austin1.JPG/1200px-Kitson-Austin1.JPG

Edited by adb968008

Re club and the H class, on the H thread I posted I posted the following thoughts that I hope this friday's engine shed will give clarity on:

I don't ever remember seeing Hornby selling direct at the shows. So will it just be "we have a new club and this is the first exclusive join online here" with a leaflet? Or are they breaking the habit by taking a some stock (which doubtless must include some of the new club items as well) and computers/tills to sign people up on the day?

Noting down people's addresses in a system is no speedy task, so you would a few machines to meet demand.

Of course, maybe Bluebell is selling direct that day only. As I cannot see them fuffing around signing people into the Hornby club.

Perplexed how this will play out.

I don,t fancy speeding a fortune flying to the show, "just in case".

Could you snap a picture for us to see the clues?

I found the attached photo online. Rivet work, handrails, lining and "bagless" vacuum pipe look consistent with the Hornby images. Didn't Hornby say that one of their future models was related to a previous release (or words to that effect)? So, baby Peckett could be getting a big brother?

Loco is 1924 built Peckett 1636 0-6-0ST "Fonmon".

post-25981-0-72128600-1510777033.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I found the attached photo online. Rivet work, handrails, lining and "bagless" vacuum pipe look consistent with the Hornby images. Didn't Hornby say that one of their future models was related to a previous release (or words to that effect)? So, baby Peckett could be getting a big brother?

Loco is 1924 built Peckett 1636 0-6-0ST "Fonmon".

attachicon.gifFonmon 2.jpg

Would be nice but didn’t the pipe have GWR on it

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

Would be nice but didn’t the pipe have GWR on it

All the best,

Keith

Yes, it did have GWR on the pipe. However; preservation society's recycle parts were possible. I doubt "Fonmon" was ever vacuum fitted when in industrial service at Aberthaw cement works in its early days, this would most likely have occurred post preservation to work passenger trains. All speculation by me of course!!

Regards

Andy.

• Like 2

When they modelled the previous Peckett didn't they avoid preserved examples due to how many modifications they have received since the were in service?

Post 325 is a very good match though.

Maybe the two photos are unconnected and cover two locomotives entering their range next year.  It would be a rather bizarre choice and I don't think it really possesses the 'wow' factor that the Peckett does.

Edited by GWR8700