New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

• RMweb Premium

Received today a letter (undated but franked 9 Feb) from the Hornby Collector Club. It says that ththe review of the current club programme has been completed and that the new club will be launched on 23 February. However, it also says that membership of the new club will be restricted to those residing in the UK. They do say they are looking “to obtain a longer-term fix” and hopefully announce an international club offering once again.

Since I want the Club H Class model of 263, It looks like I’ll either have to give a family member’s address for my membership or, assuming I can, buy the model as a non member.

Not overly impressed; it can’t really be that difficult to price membership at a suitable level for international customers, or perhaps with the uncertainty of BREXIT they don’t want to risk problems (e.g. customs - Portugal for example is terrible for anything coming from outside the EU).

Received today a letter (undated but franked 9 Feb) from the Hornby Collector Club. It says that ththe review of the current club programme has been completed and that the new club will be launched on 23 February. However, it also says that membership of the new club will be restricted to those residing in the UK. They do say they are looking “to obtain a longer-term fix” and hopefully announce an international club offering once again.

Since I want the Club H Class model of 263, It looks like I’ll either have to give a family member’s address for my membership or, assuming I can, buy the model as a non member.

Not overly impressed; it can’t really be that difficult to price membership at a suitable level for international customers, or perhaps with the uncertainty of BREXIT they don’t want to risk problems (e.g. customs - Portugal for example is terrible for anything coming from outside the EU).

Terrific Hornby well done. They finally do the most interesting item in the club ever, and us people stuck in Europe (or elsewhere in the world) cannot buy it. I,ve waited 25 years for this loco too.

Forget the long term fix, the model we're after will have long gone by then.

If they cannot offer us the possibility to join the club, then please allow those outside the UK another means to buy the model via direct sales on your website.

This has been a problem for some time. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and 'Manston' is one of the railway's locomotives.

In 2015 Hornby produced a model of 'Manston' which was advertised as only available through the Hornby Collectors Club. The Swanage Railway shop would have liked to sell this model but Hornby would not supply these unless the purchasers joined the Hornby Collectors Club. I also did not want to join the club as I did not want to receive their magazines or offers.

Eventually Hornby unloaded their surplus 'Manstons' to Rails of Sheffield and I bought my model from them.

I hope the same happens with the H class and then overseas modellers will be able to buy one.

• RMweb Gold

This has been a problem for some time. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and 'Manston' is one of the railway's locomotives.

In 2015 Hornby produced a model of 'Manston' which was advertised as only available through the Hornby Collectors Club. The Swanage Railway shop would have liked to sell this model but Hornby would not supply these unless the purchasers joined the Hornby Collectors Club. I also did not want to join the club as I did not want to receive their magazines or offers.

Eventually Hornby unloaded their surplus 'Manstons' to Rails of Sheffield and I bought my model from them.

I hope the same happens with the H class and then overseas modellers will be able to buy one.

I thought I read somewhere it’s a run of 1500 (edited from 3000)... that’s (still) a lot in this day and age.

If correct i’m sure there’s going to be plenty to go around.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I thought I read somewhere it’s a run of 3000... that’s a lot in this day and age.

If correct i’m sure there’s going to be plenty to go around.

Good-oh. Maybe I shall order two, or even three.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So, today being 23 February I thought I try and sign up to the new Club. Success! I spoke to the Club to clarify what I could do and the lady I spoke to was very helpful. I logged into my Hornby account as usual, and updated my shipping address to an address in the UK. Paid my membership by PayPal and received a confirmation email with my membership number after a few minutes.

I was then able to go to the Club Models page and pre-order the Bluebell H Class 263 (which says delivery expected October 2018).

Incidentally, I tried to order the loco at the same time as paying for membership but it wouldn't let me; it said I had to be a member first.

Also, despite signing up for a notification email when the Club was set up, I haven't yet had one.

• RMweb Gold

So, today being 23 February I thought I try and sign up to the new Club. Success! I spoke to the Club to clarify what I could do and the lady I spoke to was very helpful. I logged into my Hornby account as usual, and updated my shipping address to an address in the UK. Paid my membership by PayPal and received a confirmation email with my membership number after a few minutes.

I was then able to go to the Club Models page and pre-order the Bluebell H Class 263 (which says delivery expected October 2018).

Incidentally, I tried to order the loco at the same time as paying for membership but it wouldn't let me; it said I had to be a member first.

Also, despite signing up for a notification email when the Club was set up, I haven't yet had one.

I joined the club earlier today, and ordered the H class. However, the promised confirmation emails and my membership number haven't arrived yet; all I have is the order number.

I also didn't receive the notification email that I signed for.

Just joined the club and ordered 263. Though I’d rather have had an extra £10 off or a voucher, than get a 0-4-0 club loco I will probably dispose of right away….

But, I look forward to having a go at this:

In all good value in terms of loco+club membership = price of general release loco.

BUT I would much rather have purchased the model from the Bluebell direct, and ensure that a charity I support can profit rather than shareholders of Hornby who already profit at other stages of the supply chain. I did phone the Bluebell to see if they were being allocated any and was told highly unlikely, which is a shame. If the H class trust (now part of the Bluebell Trust) had not preserved 263, Hornby's job would have been a lot harder in designing the model. Poor show that the railway’s revenue can't benefit from a model of one of its locos (although did Hornby pay for the livery refresh???).

Maybe in future preservation groups should make it a condition that, in order to access the loco for research, they are allocated any subsequent models of that particular loco (in whatever livery) for sale?

I've said before that I do feel that preservation modellers have the raw end of the deal in that many (but not all) preserved and 'special livery' models come out as club editions. This not only requires payment of an additional fee, but also eliminates the choice of stockist.

Now hoping Hornby get it right, with decent QC.

And getting it right includes the additional pipework on the front left hand side of the cab.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE JUST A RENUMBER OF THE PREVIOUS SECR H!!! It should be a 1960s condition model in SECR livery.

Edited by G-BOAF

I joined the club earlier today, and ordered the H class. However, the promised confirmation emails and my membership number haven't arrived yet; all I have is the order number.

I also didn't receive the notification email that I signed for.

Check your junk folder. I have just found both club and loco orders there...!

• RMweb Gold

Check your junk folder. I have just found both club and loco orders there...!

It's not in my junk folder. I signed up with the right email address, and there are two orders with today's date in my order history.

• RMweb Premium

Now hoping Hornby get it right, with decent QC.

And getting it right includes the additional pipework on the front left hand side of the cab.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE JUST A RENUMBER OF THE PREVIOUS SECR H!!! It should be a 1960s condition model in SECR livery.

The Hornby website says Era11, so it should be in its current preserved condition.

• RMweb Premium

It's not in my junk folder. I signed up with the right email address, and there are two orders with today's date in my order history.

I renewed my membership and ordered 263. All emailed confirmations were received within ten minutes - including membership number.

I received an email confirmation for my membership but not for 263. Both both show in my account with order numbers. It appears there are a few hiccups with the emails, but I’m sure the orders are ok. I’ve printed them anyway just in case.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads-up, Andrew - I'd been periodically checking to see whether anything had changed as I hadn't received any notifications either...

The process wasn't easy; joined immediately after reading your post and despite receiving my membership number on email whenever I clicked on Pre-Order Now under the Club Model I was informed that it's a Membership Restricted Product...  Fearing the secret was out I emailed and then hurriedly tried to ring, but an automated message said that the office was now closed until Monday (this was at mid-afternoon on the 23rd)!  Knowing my luck, I bit the bullet and went through the membership process again online - thankfully it worked and 263 is now safely pre-ordered!

Edited by jafcreasey