New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

The club webpage has the following up:

The Hornby Collector Club is coming back soon with a new package subscription... return to this page over the next few days to discover all the details and the new Club Loco!

So not long to wait to find out what the 2019 version of the club is.

Got a letter from HCC suggesting that I might like to renew membership.

Looks like they gave it to the office junior/trainee to send out as the A4 sheet has the smaller communication centred on the page with cropmarks and the file name clearly displayed, with the date and time of printout. 

There's nothing new for 2019 in the letter, the "freebie" loco is the Bagnall in the phony NR livery (due July 2019, Deo Volante) and the Collector Club model is still listed as the SECR H Class. If there's a new Collector Club model in the works (say one of the new Terriers?) then Hornby are keeping it close to their chests!

I think I'll wait and see...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I still think they don’t quite know what to do with the Collectors club. Is it for enthusiasts or the trainset market.  On the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland there was very little about the club 

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Legend said:

I still think they don’t quite know what to do with the Collectors club. Is it for enthusiasts or the trainset market.  On the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland there was very little about the club 

I think it would be better to let the members decide.

on sign up, get a choice of free loco or some store credit.

tbh though i think collectors clubs are past their sell by dates now. I stopped paying into the Dapol one three years ago, Hornbys two years ago, and having had nothing in Bachmanns this year I see no point to continue their either.

If there is to be a new club loco (excluding the Bagnall) available to purchase, I'm wondering if it could be Fenchurch in preserved form? It would fit the bill of an attractive livery, preserved loco, making use of a new tooling and would compliment the club H Class loco perfectly.

Alternatively I may simply be deluded/desperate to see Fenchurch :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Heritage Tim said:

If there is to be a new club loco (excluding the Bagnall) available to purchase, I'm wondering if it could be Fenchurch in preserved form? It would fit the bill of an attractive livery, preserved loco, making use of a new tooling and would compliment the club H Class loco perfectly.

Alternatively I may simply be deluded/desperate to see Fenchurch 

Only if they make international membership possible. I can't keep asking friends in the UK to take delivery Hornby club materials and them posting forwards to me forever.....

Would love to see Fenchurch too, but ideally from the company who does the best of these terriers.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure why Hornby would need to hold back on the announcement of a new "club exclusive" model. In 2015 and 2016 there were five loco's to choose from. It helped that at that time you got the £20 voucher with your membership - Manston cost me £105.00 and the Terrier "Whitechapel"  was £15.00 - a good deal on both counts.

Hornby have now put up on their website details of "the new improved" CC..  I can safely the only thing that has been updated is the magazine. :dontknow:  No mention of new Collectors Club exclusive. Yes there is the "freebie" but nothing else.  In 2 minds as to whether to renew or not, as I do like the magazine. Feel a bit let own if I'm honest. 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/memberships/

Hornby  appear to have reintroduced the 10% discount for club members. There has been no mention of this, but having renewed my membership, if I go into the "shop", everything has a discounted price. It's a pity did not mention this discount being reinstated when the 2019 announcements were made - I'm sure many, myself included, would have put off ordering until the new club membership came through.

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Hornby  appear to have reintroduced the 10% discount for club members. There has been no mention of this, but having renewed my membership, if I go into the "shop", everything has a discounted price. It's a pity did not mention this discount being reinstated when the 2019 announcements were made - I'm sure many, myself included, would have put off ordering until the new club membership came through.

I wonder how that sits with retailers who are restricted from discounting ?

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I wonder how that sits with retailers who are restricted from discounting ?

I believe the retailer discount restrictions are the first 6 weeks. IF the Hornby club allows you to have a further discount on the retailers discounted price (10% plus 10%) then it would definately be worth joining.

Doubtless this is limited to their own online shop which price wise means shops and Hornby are the same. Personally I have only pre-ordered items I feel confident that they will fly out of the door. The rest is wait and see.

• RMweb Gold

So if you “must have it now”..

which is going to deliver to your door faster ?

Hornbys warehouse,

or

Hornby's Warehouse, to retailer, to you ?

The whole temporary price fix thing is supposed to stop the mass discounting, which was ultimately a cut throat war serving the market of “must have it now” market for new releases. (It was not not about trees, track or last years stuff).

indeed in the past often new releases actually increased in price over time, as after release, the supplies of discounters stuff sold out exposing the higher priced ones to consumers.

With temporary price fixing, the playing field is supposed to be level, if you can’t wait 6 weeks, you can buy from anyone...but if you “must have it now”, the advantage just moved to the collectors club...

Plus it’s the manufacturer direct your dealing with for faults, and your chances of supply are less risked (in case your shop doesn’t get stock etc)..

it it might be different if I could go in person to a model shop, but my nearest is a 3-4 hour round trip, (and i’m In London), so everything is online, which I suspect I am not alone in that regard.

after saying for 2 years the clubs lost its relevance to me... this morning it’s suddenly become attractive for some stuff... especially with free delivery over £50 too... 

Edited by adb968008

That is the odd thing, the discount limit was in theory to allow shops to compete on even ground with each other and be 10% cheaper than Hornby's direct sales. For 6 weeks, everyone would have a bite from the "must have it now" crowd (or rather "I'd better buy this new thing right away otherwise they will be sold out").

Now club members can get the 10% from Hornby direct, faster with free delivery - unless you live abroad like myself in which case you cannot join the club in the first place and their delivery charges are no where near the levels of the big shops.

Suddenly it is now a thing that will boost direct sales rather than supporting small model shops (cert. that has probably increased but not as much). 

How many people are we talking about though?

These "Collectors Clubs" usually have memberships in the low hundreds rather than thousands. Many of which have been bought membership as presents or joined because they want a specific item*. Any effect on the high street will be negligible.

*Looking on here it seems many only want the SECR H Class. The clientele from the Hornby Forum will possibly be different. They mainly seem to be Hornby fans.

Jason

They make 3000 club freeby locos. So collectors and newbies mixed, it should be just short of the 3000 figure.

We don't know what the impact of 10% discount will be. But collectors buying large numbers wanting things right away will probably join the club. IF serial Hornby buyers go direct, it will dent loco shop sales.

How much? I've no idea. But it certainly won't have a positive effect for the local model shop and big shops are likely to commison more further still.

Edited by JSpencer