New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

27 minutes ago, AshleyH said:

Just had a DPD notification that my H Class is due for delivery on Tuesday 28th.

No other emails from Hornby though.

I've had email notification of dispatch and a txt from DPD saying Tuesday 11am for delivery. Happy Days :)

• Agree 2

I've had two emails from Hornby, one to say my pre-order had arrived and would be dispatched shortly, another saying it would be delivered by DPD, and one from DPD saying delivery on the 28th May - I am currently in Florida, so delivery will be Friday 31st May.

Just as an aside, on the new Engine Shed blog, there is mention and pics of the freebie" model, the Network Rail 05. The pic shown is the actual finished model and this is what Hornby have said "Announced just over two months ago, these images show the model itself rather than the rendered images we had for the announcement". Does that mean they sending out them along with the H Class? Or separately as before? 

The locos are what they call the decorated samples, though the simplicity of the moulding and the chassis means there's not much else to do, provided the colours and insignia are to spec.  Its not actually an 05, its an approximate "Bagnall", you're probably thinking of the equally approximate Class 06 Barclay!

R3755, the Railroad version of the Bagnall, in a faux BR Green with late crest is due in September, and they've also got the Cola version in the Christmas trainset to produce (I think thats due September too). These will be the moneymakers so I imagine the freebie club model will be well down the pecking order.  The previous free club loco arrived around Q4 2018 so you'd be lucky to see this one before then.

I quite like that NR "Bagnall".

If you are into freelance industrial railways that would be a good start for a bit of modelling. Fit valances to disguise the wheels and remove the NR logo and you could have a generic yellow shunter suitable for a steelworks, oil depot or power station.

Jason

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

The locos are what they call the decorated samples, though the simplicity of the moulding and the chassis means there's not much else to do, provided the colours and insignia are to spec.  Its not actually an 05, its an approximate "Bagnall", you're probably thinking of the equally approximate Class 06 Barclay!

R3755, the Railroad version of the Bagnall, in a faux BR Green with late crest is due in September, and they've also got the Cola version in the Christmas trainset to produce (I think thats due September too). These will be the moneymakers so I imagine the freebie club model will be well down the pecking order.  The previous free club loco arrived around Q4 2018 so you'd be lucky to see this one before then.

Hroth .. ahh that makes sense now.  I got me shunters mixed up lol  

Must've read too much into the statement. or caught up in the excitement the H is finally on its way :rolleyes:

My Club H has just arrived via a DPD, well packed in a strong outer box.

First impressions?

It is currently still in it’s box as the sliding colour sleeve is, err, not sliding!

I have had one or two other recent models with pretty tight sleeves, but this is at a new level!

It is going to take a fair amount of patience and care to get the sleeve off without crushing the ends of the red inner carton,

just be warned everybody, if they are all this tight, take it slowly!

I’ll report back, but can’t budge it at the moment.....

Very similar finish to the first release in this livery, though I think the SE&CR lettering and the running number are in a darker gold shade, to my eyes at least

Also of interest are two included headboards, one for The Bluebell Railway, and one for Hornby The Collector, in the same style as the Collectors Club metal badge. I didn’t get to see the prototype at Warley, did she have a Hornby Headboard?

66E5345A-9F54-4790-B8FE-6AB0BFB10E72.jpeg.4623b7e6f7571351bd0e25dc983c6994.jpeg

Edited by AshleyH
Typo

I actually received mine on saturday morning (clearly my delivery driver clearing a backlog prior to BH weekend), but had zero time to inspect/post, and am now back at work!

Love the pics above, the model looks a lovely reissue of the SECR H class....

BUT: the additional pipe run in front of the cab, present on 263 is missing, as are the rows of rivets along the rear edge of the smokebox and around the smokebox door. Both these tooling options are available within the Hornby suite. Despite my posts earlier in this thread that this needed to be included (I think I said Hornby should produce a BR H, with SECR Buffers in SECR livery), the factory has taken the easy option as just renumbered the last SECR H and included a couple of headboards.

After such a long time, its a shame to see the model isn't quite what was promised, namely as close as possible capturing of the loco as of late 2017. Echoes of 2012-2017 Hornby here in terms of sloppy choice of tooling.

I will still enjoy my model, but its a pitty that Hornby didn't get this right, and have done a simple renumber job on a previous issue.

And yes she carried both headboards at Warley

SECR 263 @ Warley NEC

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Mine has arrived, and made me laugh.

The box has "This way up" on it  !    Remarkably optimistic of Hornby.

Indeed, especially as that way up leaves the loco on it’s side anyway!

Is here.

• Sleeve is VERY tight - I assisted removing it by placing an old Bluebox box end up on the table and easing the Hornby inner out with that.
  • Rear left buffer detatched
  • No sign of the cab-roof ventilator slide (could be anywhere...)
  • Don't appreciate having to open the accessory bag just to fit TL couplings
  • The headboards are going to stay where they are...
  • However it runs smoothly and quietly in both directions.

Now to have a look for the ventilator slide....

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Is here.

• Sleeve is VERY tight - I assisted removing it by placing an old Bluebox box end up on the table and easing the Hornby inner out with that.
  • Rear left buffer detatched
  • No sign of the cab-roof ventilator slide (could be anywhere...)
  • Don't appreciate having to open the accessory bag just to fit TL couplings
  • The headboards are going to stay where they are...
  • However it runs smoothly and quietly in both directions.

Now to have a look for the ventilator slide....

My best guess is that it has fallen inside the cab itself, if you look at the picture I posted you can see that the ventilator is heading inwards on my version!

The only slight issue I have is the front vacuum pipe has fallen off, easy enough fix later with a tiny dab of glue and my magnifier light!

Just now, AshleyH said:

My best guess is that it has fallen inside the cab itself, if you look at the picture I posted you can see that the ventilator is heading inwards on my version!

The only slight issue I have is the front vacuum pipe has fallen off, easy enough fix later with a tiny dab of glue and my magnifier light!

I opened it on a clear table top.  I could see in the packaging that the buffer was detached but there wasn't anything else floating around.

I've just carefully given the loco a shake and looked inside the cab, but there's nothing there.  It looks like it never got fitted.

I'll email Hornby but I expect that they won't be able to help beyond returning the loco and having a new one sent.  Given that this one runs well, I'm not sure I'd take the gamble of getting one with a fitted ventilator and runs like a spavined crab....

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I opened it on a clear table top.  I could see in the packaging that the buffer was detached but there wasn't anything else floating around.

I've just carefully given the loco a shake and looked inside the cab, but there's nothing there.  It looks like it never got fitted.

I'll email Hornby but I expect that they won't be able to help beyond returning the loco and having a new one sent.  Given that this one runs well, I'm not sure I'd take the gamble of getting one with a fitted ventilator and runs like a spavined crab....

Why don't you ask if they will exchange the body?

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I actually received mine on saturday morning (clearly my delivery driver clearing a backlog prior to BH weekend), but had zero time to inspect/post, and am now back at work!

Love the pics above, the model looks a lovely reissue of the SECR H class....

BUT: the additional pipe run in front of the cab, present on 263 is missing, as are the rows of rivets along the rear edge of the smokebox and around the smokebox door. Both these tooling options are available within the Hornby suite. Despite my posts earlier in this thread that this needed to be included (I think I said Hornby should produce a BR H, with SECR Buffers in SECR livery), the factory has taken the easy option as just renumbered the last SECR H and included a couple of headboards.

After such a long time, its a shame to see the model isn't quite what was promised, namely as close as possible capturing of the loco as of late 2017. Echoes of 2012-2017 Hornby here in terms of sloppy choice of tooling.

I will still enjoy my model, but its a pitty that Hornby didn't get this right, and have done a simple renumber job on a previous issue.

And yes she carried both headboards at Warley

SECR 263 @ Warley NEC

They are also missing the bit of SECR green paint on the cab roof flancs and the thin red lining around the roof edge.

Not had anything from Hornby about my order but on reading the last few posts duly logged in to find that Hornby have tried (and failed) to take payment to which they gave me until end of the month to update payment details (Same as before ironically) and now appears order being processed now.

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

They are also missing the bit of SECR green paint on the cab roof flancs and the thin red lining around the roof edge.

My understanding is that the printing in that area was not possible/feasible within Hornby's design. Obviously as we have seen on other manufacturers' locos, tight printing is possible, and I presume this was a budget limitation. This wasn't something I was expecting. The other incorrect details I were hoping/assuming(?!) would be right for 263 as preserved.

Edited by G-BOAF

Well here are some picks of 308 and 263 compared. Aside from the number and etched headboards, there are none to note. One thing I did note, my 308 is an excellent runner for a H, but 263 runs better still despite the former having been run in.

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1