New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

That sleeve is stupidly tight - I ended up running a sharp knife down the glued joint on the basis it can be reglued back together.

Mine was quite easy to slide off, though I had prior training thanks to hattons P class sleeves!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

That sleeve is stupidly tight - I ended up running a sharp knife down the glued joint on the basis it can be reglued back together.

Exactly what I did!

3 hours ago, Budgie said:

How do I stop it repeatedly derailing? Note: other locos don't derail as both of my Hs do.

Ideally by adding weight to the front which is not easy. The alternative is a really small spring on the trailing pony. The loco looses so much potential being balanced away from the drivers that even though the H is the bigger, heavier more powerfully motored model, it gets outclassed by the smaller, lighter less powerful motored DJM O2 in terms pulling power and rail holding. Only because the latter is correctly weighted over the drivers.

• Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Mine was quite easy to slide off, though I had prior training thanks to hattons P class sleeves!

Had no problem with my P - obviously some sleeves are being glued together too tight. Reglued it (Pritt stick) 1mm back from its original postion and now slides on and off the box properly without being too loose.

• Like 1

Pleased to say mine has now arrived, what a beauty it is. I won't be able to test it til I'm back in my parent's loft next weekend but sure it'll run just fine.

Hope people are getting their's too!

Edited by drt7uk

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2019 at 10:15, G-BOAF said:

I actually received mine on saturday morning (clearly my delivery driver clearing a backlog prior to BH weekend), but had zero time to inspect/post, and am now back at work!

Love the pics above, the model looks a lovely reissue of the SECR H class....

BUT: the additional pipe run in front of the cab, present on 263 is missing, as are the rows of rivets along the rear edge of the smokebox and around the smokebox door. Both these tooling options are available within the Hornby suite. Despite my posts earlier in this thread that this needed to be included (I think I said Hornby should produce a BR H, with SECR Buffers in SECR livery), the factory has taken the easy option as just renumbered the last SECR H and included a couple of headboards.

After such a long time, its a shame to see the model isn't quite what was promised, namely as close as possible capturing of the loco as of late 2017. Echoes of 2012-2017 Hornby here in terms of sloppy choice of tooling.

I will still enjoy my model, but its a pitty that Hornby didn't get this right, and have done a simple renumber job on a previous issue.

And yes she carried both headboards at Warley

It would be interesting to hear a response from Hornby to these points  (not that I expect anything to be done by the way). Did the factory simply use the wrong tooling or did Hornby make a mistake in not specifying the changes.

One curious thing though is the pipe you mention. Examining mine shows a small green 'peg' sticking out of the cab where the pipe should go - this is missing from no.308 and suggests that maybe a mistake was made at the factory with 263.

27 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

It would be interesting to hear a response from Hornby to these points  (not that I expect anything to be done by the way). Did the factory simply use the wrong tooling or did Hornby make a mistake in not specifying the changes.

One curious thing though is the pipe you mention. Examining mine shows a small green 'peg' sticking out of the cab where the pipe should go - this is missing from no.308 and suggests that maybe a mistake was made at the factory with 263.

Based on the Hattons pictures, the 'peg' was there on 308

https://www.hattons.co.uk/229854/hornby_r3538_secr_class_h_wainwright_0_4_4t_308_in_south_eastern_and_chatham_railway_lined_gr/stockdetail.aspx

• Informative/Useful 1

Several purchasers on the Hornby Forum have had problems with removing the sleeve, and also with failure of payment  - myself included. The last four purchases from Hornby have resulted in an email saying payment cannot be taken. A phone call sorted the problem - although what the problem was/is cannot be traced. When the email from Hornby arrived the other day saying they could not take payment, I went onto the site and put my card details into the system again, as a new card, and it all appears to have worked - loco will arrive tomorrow. I have been using the same credit card since 2017 and it expires in 2020. There must be a bug in the system somewhere - not a serious problem, but frustrating - you could easily lose out if  you were not quick off the mark  - I was in Florida at the time - the reply to my initial email, was an automated response  saying they hoped to answer within 28 days !!                              

Edited by Bulleidboy100

Ok so since running it in and now running trains I've encountered a couple of snags. 

1) The front socket for the NEM coupling is very tight. Indeed it come with 1 NEM plug type and 1 of the crank type. neither of which will fit. 

2) On running it with 3 Bachmann Birdcages it pulled them with no problem. However i ran it with 3 Hornby Maunsells (not coupled to the b'cages i might add) and it slipped to a stand, it really couldn't cope with them. So i had to tag a P class on the rear go give it some assistance. I can only assume the Maunsells are a bit heavier, but the P can pull them without any effort. 

Edited by Tiddles47

10 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

Ok so since running it in and now running trains I've encountered a couple of snags. 

1) The front socket for the NEM coupling is very tight. Indeed it come with 1 NEM plug type and 1 of the crank type. neither of which will fit. 

2) On running it with 3 Bachmann Birdcages it pulled them with no problem. However i ran it with 3 Hornby Maunsells (not coupled to the b'cages i might add) and it slipped to a stand, it really couldn't cope with them. So i had to tag a P class on the rear go give it some assistance. I can only assume the Maunsells are a bit heavier, but the P can pull them without any effort. 

The boiler is a split design, front and back halves, both in plastic. I have a feeling that they initially intended for the front half to be diecast which would have stuck the centre of gravity over the drivers and made the model far stronger and improve track holding.

There is not much space to add weight. Maybe lopping off the flywheel and adding some lead behind the smokebox. You need just enough to move the centre of gravity back over the drivers then they will be transformed.

Thanks JSpencer. I'll just have to run it on the B'cages only or 2 Maunsells unless its assisted by another loco. I don't really have the skill to be taking it to pieces for fear or doing something silly or breaking it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Does anyone know why the buffers on the front are smaller than the back? Just interested to know the reason.

It is due to the fact that the back will swing out more as it goes round curves.

• Informative/Useful 1

Despite clearly stated on the website as Era 11 (2014 onwards), when I contacted Hornby about the incorrect smokebox (flush rivets) and lack of cab-front pipework present on the preserved example, I was told the following (I'm not quoting to respect the confidentiality of Hornby's email):

*****The model was a simple change in number of the SECR 308 main range model. The only detailed differences specified were the headboards. The communication of the model as preserved was not as effective as it might have been.******

I'm a little miffed, as all the description of this model, including the website description is as a preserved model. While I'm not going to return mine, it does have a bit of a whiff of 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' about it (i.e. preserved model with incorrect details/minimal changes from previous batch).

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1

Just got my replacement Club H back from Hornby (excellent service).

A quick 10 mins run in each direction at medium speed, good runner, no magic smoke, no olefactory evidence of overheating, no before/after infrared thermometer indication of overheating.

Looks like a goodun!

All I need do now is open the "accessory" pack, attach the couplings and see how good its haulage powers are...

Edited by Hroth
application of missing word....

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys 

sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but I'm new to the Hornby collectors club and was wondering if it's like the Bachmann collectors club I know the Locomotive in different but in terms of magazines witch one would you say is better 

thanks

alan

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2019 at 10:06, Thebigshot said:

Hi Guys 

sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but I'm new to the Hornby collectors club and was wondering if it's like the Bachmann collectors club I know the Locomotive in different but in terms of magazines witch one would you say is better 

thanks

alan

The Bachmann magazines I feel are better, the lounge access at shows is good, and definitely interesting articles. There free annual wagon is generally good.

However I have to be honest I think all the clubs, Dapol has one too, are now passed their sell by dates when it comes to club models offered or incentives (special models, discounts etc) in OO gauge. I’ve let my membership lapse to Dapol in 2017, Hornby in 2018 and didn’t renew Bachmann’s in April this year, and haven’t felt I’ve missed out or urge to go back, thus far, i’d Say i’m collectively £170 or so better off in saved membership fees in the last few years for it to date.

My last Hornby club model was the SECR 263, ordered in 2018, delivered start of the year, almost 10 months after my membership lapsed, not missed anything except to cheap 0-4-0 toys in that club since.

Dapol club only seems to have had the LSWR B4 and a green class 73 (since offered as a main release as a different number) in as many years as I can remember.

Bachmanns club seems to have been more focussed to wagons of late.

I think loyalty based on spend might be a better route for the future. It would at least recognise those where they get their money from.

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think loyalty based on spend might be a better route for the future. It would at least recognise those where they get their money from.

I can see how that would work for people buying directly from the manufacturer, but not the downstream retailers. And I only buy from retailers. Not that I'm too bothered for myself, I've never been a member of a collectors' club either.

On 10 November 2019 at 16:36, adb968008 said:

The Bachmann magazines I feel are better, the lounge access at shows is good, and definitely interesting articles. There free annual wagon is generally good.

However I have to be honest I think all the clubs, Dapol has one too, are now passed their sell by dates when it comes to club models offered or incentives (special models, discounts etc) in OO gauge. I’ve let my membership lapse to Dapol in 2017, Hornby in 2018 and didn’t renew Bachmann’s in April this year, and haven’t felt I’ve missed out or urge to go back, thus far, i’d Say i’m collectively £170 or so better off in saved membership fees in the last few years for it to date.

My last Hornby club model was the SECR 263, ordered in 2018, delivered start of the year, almost 10 months after my membership lapsed, not missed anything except to cheap 0-4-0 toys in that club since.

Dapol club only seems to have had the LSWR B4 and a green class 73 (since offered as a main release as a different number) in as many years as I can remember.

Bachmanns club seems to have been more focussed to wagons of late.

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts I really appreciate it 

thanks

alan

On 10 November 2019 at 19:56, truffy said:

I can see how that would work for people buying directly from the manufacturer, but not the downstream retailers. And I only buy from retailers. Not that I'm too bothered for myself, I've never been a member of a collectors' club either.

Hi

i quite enjoy reading the Bachmann club magazine okay  It's not for everyone but if it was just the magazine and no wagon or catalogue or calendar I probably wouldn't bother although I've now been a member of the Bachmann club for 17 years now and I'm not sure if my support will stop But it not for everyone 

thanks

alan

The Hornby Collectors Club magazine is now a first class publication - it wouldn't look out of place in WHSmiths amongst the magazines.  I agree the loco is a toy,  but it's great for the grandchildren.  I'm not concerned about the use of a lounge at shows. The Club loco (SECR 263) was late - so what, it arrived eventually. I've been a member of the Hornby Club for about twelve years - may be longer, the cost is negligible.  I would think that 90% of my loco purchases are Hornby, so I suppose it's natural to be a club member, if it were the other way round I might be Bachmann club member. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2019 at 19:56, truffy said:

Register your purchases at point of sale or at home after purchase.

it would give Manufacturers a free marketing database of its customers, target market metrics, geographies, spend, interests etc at a micro level, and of course chance to incentivise its best customers.

As a consumer you get to warranty the purchases you make. It also serves as a good insurance record.

All it needs is giving the model a serial number, just like your camera, phone, tv, washing machine etc all do today, and a few pages more on the website.

many toys / electronics require online registration or activation.. i’m not suggesting disabling models until registered but the idea isn't as far reaching as it sounds.

Edited by adb968008