New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

many toys / electronics require online registration or activation.. i’m not suggesting disabling models until registered but the idea isn't as far reaching as it sounds.

Generally if they need some sort of connectivity.

I have never registered a toy, or a model. And, donning my tinfoil helmet, I really don't see giving manufacturers "a free marketing database of its customers, target market metrics, geographies, spend, interests" as any incentive to change that.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, truffy said:

Generally if they need some sort of connectivity.

I have never registered a toy, or a model. And, donning my tinfoil helmet, I really don't see giving manufacturers "a free marketing database of its customers, target market metrics, geographies, spend, interests" as any incentive to change that.

So the fact that such a database might assist the manufacturer in understanding their market demographic, and thus maybe better addressing its needs, doesn't come into it. 

I see this as the same thinking that led to our now having those ridiculous cookie acceptance popups on every site. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

So the fact that such a database might assist the manufacturer in understanding their market demographic, and thus maybe better addressing its needs, doesn't come into it. 

No, it doesn’t. If a toy manufacturer wants my data they can do it less clandestinely. I would want to know what information they’re taking and how/why they use it. If they want to better address their market’s needs there are more transparent ways of doing it (the wish list poll being just one such). 

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2019 at 16:43, truffy said:

No, it doesn’t. If a toy manufacturer wants my data they can do it less clandestinely. I would want to know what information they’re taking and how/why they use it. If they want to better address their market’s needs there are more transparent ways of doing it (the wish list poll being just one such). 

Better stop using the internet then, every move you make, from the moment you hit the keyboard on your Ipad,Phone or laptop, thru the route, local switch, dns, router all the way to the web site at the other end is logged, distributed in in more than 100 places across the world in miliseconds.

Most live in pleasant isolation without knowing your gps on the phone is so accurate that admarketers can tell which side of the street you are on, and which shop you are in front of, and target adverts to not just your phone, but all devices you own that have existed in the same router overnight consistently (your home), or that patterns of activity on different devices you own really are known and understood by computer algorithms.

if you want to test it, why not open google maps in your home, on your iphone and ask yourself, how do they know not just the street your on, but the house your in, and that they know which businesses are at which addresses, the markets they use, products sold etc.

Now consider how that can be used to prioritise your route work and manage traffic control, or predict when parts will break, or even be part of a subset of data that determines when to release a new product, or when to start construction works..

coming closer to home, many companies use market8ng emails, that not only can tell when you read it, but on which devices, how many times, if you forwarded it, whom to and which section of the page you stopped scrolling to read more... whats more its cheap.. fractions of a penny to use.

I know at least one model railway retailer uses it and occasionally ive pm’d a poster here to suggest they edit their posted URLs, as if you know how, you can access personal data in what was a personalised Email content sent to them in that email url header, but also would set them up for targetting due to being seen of significant influence as hundreds might click their personal url, setting them up for all kinds of mails, as it can track which other sites you then go on to visit... search for: Web Beacon, Tracking Pixel, Web Fingerprinting, and companies like Adsense, Pardot etc... theres hundreds of them.

if its less concerning to not believe that this not only exists but has for a few years and is actively being used across the world, then ignore this post and continue to believe you are in control of your data, but AI/ML exists and its Big.. and it kind of puts building a traditional marketing database into the shade.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Better stop using the internet then, every move you make, from the moment you hit the keyboard on your Ipad,Phone or laptop, thru the route, local switch, dns, router all the way to the web site at the other end is logged, distributed in in more than 100 places across the world in miliseconds.

Most live in pleasant isolation without knowing your gps on the phone is so accurate that admarketers can tell which side of the street you are on, and which shop you are in front of, and target adverts to not just your phone, but all devices you own that have existed in the same router overnight consistently (your home), or that patterns of activity on different devices you own really are known and understood by computer algorithms.

if you want to test it, why not open google maps in your home, on your iphone and ask yourself, how do they know not just the street your on, but the house your in, and that they know which businesses are at which addresses, the markets they use, products sold etc.

Now consider how that can be used to prioritise your route work and manage traffic control, or predict when parts will break, or even be part of a subset of data that determines when to release a new product, or when to start construction works..

coming closer to home, many companies use market8ng emails, that not only can tell when you read it, but on which devices, how many times, if you forwarded it, whom to and which section of the page you stopped scrolling to read more... whats more its cheap.. fractions of a penny to use.

I know at least one model railway retailer uses it and occasionally ive pm’d a poster here to suggest they edit their posted URLs, as if you know how, you can access personal data in what was a personalised Email content sent to them in that email url header, but also would set them up for targetting due to being seen of significant influence as hundreds might click their personal url, setting them up for all kinds of mails, as it can track which other sites you then go on to visit... search for: Web Beacon, Tracking Pixel, Web Fingerprinting, and companies like Adsense, Pardot etc... theres hundreds of them.

if its less concerning to not believe that this not only exists but has for a few years and is actively being used across the world, then ignore this post and continue to believe you are in control of your data, but AI/ML exists and its Big.. and it kind of puts building a traditional marketing database into the shade.

Unfortunately this saturation of publicity eventually backfires. I used to be amazed at the stuff you could find on the net in decent websites written by people whom knew the subject, helas their certificates expired and we now have search engines bringing back vaguely related drivel filled with "accept cookie messages or see nothing" containing a huge blast of endless and meaningless adverts.

Book buying (whose price has become extremely cheap) has made a big comeback with me! Each page I turn is loaded immediately, advert free and containing info that is actually useful and informative.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

More fool you for using such technologies. Like I really need my kettle to talk to a fridge. :no:

Putting things in toy trains is totally barking mad. As for marketing from cookies, etc. You can quite easily disable most of them and you should delete them all once a month. Anyone sensible does already as they clog up your memory.

This is one of the few websites I actually use with my full proper name. Most of the others I don't. If I gave you my full name you would really struggle to find much about me on the net. People have tried, all have failed.

So what do they know about me? I occasionally buy things such as books, CDs and models. I occasional book concert tickets and hotels. They won't find out anything else as it's not there. Nobody knows what I had for lunch, what I watched last night or that my train was late. No photos of me on a beach or meeting some "celebrity".

Seriously. If you want everyone to know your business it's up to you, but some of us find it very easy to live under the radar.

Oh and I tried the Google Maps thing. My location is about ten miles away from where I actually am....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just received an email from Hornby inviting me to join The Collector Club.

The good news is that it is open again to members internationally - price £38 compared to £28 for UK membership.

The benefits appear to be the same as last year.

On 20/11/2019 at 15:58, Steamport Southport said:

You can quite easily disable most of them and you should delete them all once a month. Anyone sensible does already as they clog up your memory.

"Once a month" is too infrequent.

You should set your  browser to purge everything when shut down, and you should clear history and cookies, etc when shifting from one website to another.  Its not perfect, but it tends to reduce cross-contamination!

As for websites that demand you switch off adblockers and accept cookies, well they don't get my eyeball so its self defeating.

RMWeb is whitelisted on my adblocker, and provided I stay within the environment then anything that gets put onto my browser is fine. Look at the bottom of this page, tracking links for twits, facers and probably pintresters.  They can follow me around RMWeb all they like, but its bye-bye when I leave.....  :rolleyes:

On 20/11/2019 at 15:58, Steamport Southport said:

Oh and I tried the Google Maps thing. My location is about ten miles away from where I actually am....

That depends on where your Internet Provider is providing server connections from.  Sometimes they're 10 miles off, sometimes 50, and can even get to about 200 miles.... 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received an A4 colour printout in the post this morning with an update about The Collector: -

- The annual Club locomotive is Holden 101 Class, 0-4-0T - Hornby 100 (R3867)

- The exclusive Hornby Collector Club Model is a 2020 Hornby Roadshow Wagon (R60004) at £5.99

H Class 263 (R3648) is also still shown as available to Club Members at £99.99.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Agree 1

Hornby have sent an email detailing "New and Exclusive Club Benefits", which I opened with interest expecting, at least, to find a replacement for the "H" class club loco.

Well there is, sort of, but its a Golden Valley/Oxford Rail Janus in Port of London livery. There is also a rake of PoL wagons available.  They're a reasonable price but not exactly exclusive!  The rest is a mishmash of tools, a cheap airbrush, magnifiers and so on.

A bit lacklustre.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'm keeping an eye on it . I like the idea of the Quarterly mags but that's not enough to justify joining alone .  I know a large part of their membership is young and possibly very happy with yet another 0-4-0  but I wish they'd give an option to the adult modeller to have a wagon instead . But agree , there was nothing in the email this morning to say  Wow I must join!

38 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Why is Hornby Collectors Club selling products by Golden Valley hobbies (GV), namlely Port of London locomotives and wagons???

The Golden Valley Janus and wagons are manufactured by Oxford Rail

There is a linkage between Hornby and Oxford Rail

Mind you, I was surprised to see the Janus as a Collectors Club offering!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Golden Valley Janus and wagons are manufactured by Oxford Rail

There is a linkage between Hornby and Oxford Rail

Mind you, I was surprised to see the Janus as a Collectors Club offering!

...and there is also the linkage of Tim Mulhall of Golden Valley with Hornby.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Hornby have sent an email detailing "New and Exclusive Club Benefits", which I opened with interest expecting, at least, to find a replacement for the "H" class club loco.

Well there is, sort of, but its a Golden Valley/Oxford Rail Janus in Port of London livery. There is also a rake of PoL wagons available.  They're a reasonable price but not exactly exclusive!  The rest is a mishmash of tools, a cheap airbrush, magnifiers and so on.

A bit lacklustre.

Is it advertised as GV / Oxford ? Or as a Hornby offering with an “R” number?

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the Hornby Collector Club Exclusive Class H (R3648) for £99.99

Hornby have it marked up as "sold out" .

Now I don't know if they sold them all to club members, or they've parcelled up the remainders and sent them to the Retailer channel to get shot of them, but a good few months ago, some retailers had them listed as coming soon on their websites, Hattons still have a placeholder... 

I wonder what's going to replace them as the exclusive model, unless thats what the Oxford Rails Janus is?

• Informative/Useful 1