New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

My membership pack has arrived. The voucher code is on the top right corner of the letter and not on the pop out card (guess who didn't notice and spend 5 minutes on the phone to HCC :banghead: ). I've tried to use the code to pre-order the terriers online but the website isn't having it (I'll phone again later).

Any improvement in the magazine? For me, no. It is the same sort of articles.

Will I renew my membership? Only if there is a limited edition model I'm interested in.

• RMweb Gold

The discount and £20 voucher make it worthwhile. Serious contenders being an already ordered 34070 or the ice cream cart version of 4472.....decisions,decisions...

"Magazine" ???.oh dear. Some attention to their "client group" would be a good idea for starters...that thing that used to be called Market Research. Bachmann Collectors Club certainly give you no discounts but at least you have a magazine worthy of the name and not Toytown Times. Hornby....you can do better than this.

• RMweb Premium

I only joined for the air smoothed BoB club model. Since I want that model the £20 voucher makes club membership cost neutral and the 10% discount means the Hornby website is actually very competitive, particularly as orders over £30 get free P&P. I've used the discount a couple of times and it is useful. Regarding over benefits I'm not really that bothered about the other things.

• RMweb Gold

True enough what you say but Hornby seem to be starting their reinventing themselves process now and they would do themselves an awful lot of good to seize the opportunity to go the extra mile with a serious professionally produced magazine.it would win new friends and some goodwill...might even help sell a few more models.

• RMweb Gold

1st May... still nothing.

Give them a ring on "our dedicated club helpline 01843 233512.Club Opening hours are Monday-Thursday 9:00-17:00 and Friday 9:00-13:00,Closed Saturday and Sunday".....quote from my recently received Welcome Letter. Good Luck !

Hornby have always done a great job in keeping in touch with its customers, but recent emails are even better.  The "Engine Shed" is great.   I enjoyed watching the new King go round Hornby's test track, for example.  I do admit to being a bit confused by the discounting process, but it does in fact work on the web site.  I usually check by going in anonymously first, then as a club member and so on.  It is more complicated for those of us in the ROW as VAT is subtracted too, and that needs to be checked.

• RMweb Premium

I got the member pack. The magazine is typical for these sort of things, it is not without some merit but I wouldn't pay for it. The 2 for 1 entry into attractions offer is a nice touch although I suspect most of them are obtainable via other means without joining the club (eg. go on-line, use the train etc). The badge is a nice touch. The seller for me remains the £20 voucher for a club model assuming the club models are something you want plus the discount. Whether I'd recommend anybody joining depends on whether you'd want the club models and how much use you think you might make of Hornby direct sales. If all this sounds luke warm or negative, I do think it is actually above average in some ways for this type of manufacturer club and I don't regret joining.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my pack a couple of weeks ago. The jury is still out for me. Yes it is a reduced price, and the £20 voucher is useful. Mind you I was one of the people who elected for the voucher option during the last couple of years. The voucher was previously redeemable against the whole range except sale items, now it is only for club models so the choice is limited. I may be tempted by the Jinty though.

What worries me is no suggestion that the 10% discount applies to other Hornby outlets. That was a big selling point for me, and I used it at several at official Hornby outlets in the past. If this is only going to apply to the website there is no point in sending a membership card.

The magazine is as poor as before, with probably even less articles as two pages were given over to full page pictures of Hornby dioramas, seen in the catalogue. Compare this mag to the Bachmann offering and there is really no comparison.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have always done a great job in keeping in touch with its customers, but recent emails are even better.  The "Engine Shed" is great.   I enjoyed watching the new King go round Hornby's test track, for example.  I do admit to being a bit confused by the discounting process, but it does in fact work on the web site.  I usually check by going in anonymously first, then as a club member and so on.  It is more complicated for those of us in the ROW as VAT is subtracted too, and that needs

Always? Don't think so.Now,then yes.....after a long perod of turning a deaf ear.I assume you do look regularly on Bachmann's website which is updated regularly ? "Products expected within the next 60 days " ? Hornby's 10% Collectors Club discount  can occasionally be rendered irrelevant by stock clearance sales or events such as Frank Hornby's anniversary when all got a 15% .I tried my members discount on the website but of course it didn't apply,did it ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

The website applies discount automatically if you log in as a recognised club user. You sadly can't use the discounts on sale items although some shops did allow this.

Yes,I realise that but it does seem illogical to apply terms which effectively rendered my members discount void for a period of a day....a small matter,I think,but irritating when I logged in only to find I was effectively disbarred from applying any further discount.I of course could have ordered as a non member but didn't go any further with it.....but then I am a member so why should I ? So non members get 15% and I get 10%......ah,well,that's democracy.

Yes,I realise that but it does seem illogical to apply terms which effectively rendered my members discount void for a period of a day....a small matter,I think,but irritating when I logged in only to find I was effectively disbarred from applying any further discount.I of course could have ordered as a non member but didn't go any further with it.....but then I am a member so why should I ? So non members get 15% and I get 10%......ah,well,that's democracy.

I think the point is the 15% discount was a limited time offer available to all. The members discount applies all of the time.

Just a further update on the club. My dad is a member of the Corgi club which now has a similar price, benefits and also advertises 3 magazines per year plus a bonus winter edition. This club was reviewed in an issue of Model Collector recently. It seems the winter edition is a generic one for all clubs so Hornby, Airfix, Corgi club members will all get the same winter magazine, meaning even less of interest. Sadly this club is looking even less attractive.

It seems the winter edition is a generic one for all clubs so Hornby, Airfix, Corgi club members will all get the same winter magazine, meaning even less of interest.

Based on the description, that was my expectation. It's good to have it clarified.

Have any Hornby Collectors' Club magazines actually been produced? I haven't seen one yet.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Yes I received a "new" Hornby Collectors Club magazine with my welcome pack. I have to say it was extremely disappointing. The mag was never that great in the old club. This seemed thinner still with too many "space fillers". Two pages were given over to full page pictures of dioramas that can be seen in the catalogue. The double page spread was a pull out calendar. Not many articles.

One further update. I visited the Masson Mill outlet in Cromford today. This has an "official" Hornby outlet. I am a regular visitor here and have got to know the manager of that floor quite well. She informed me that they are still honouring the 10% discount for club members.

I received my pack a couple of weeks ago.

Yes I received a "new" Hornby Collectors Club magazine with my welcome pack.

Still no sign of it here in the colonies. Naturally, UK periodicals always take longer, but this delay feels a bit reminiscent of the time when Bachmann used that oddball bulk mailing outfit in Sweden for a couple of issues.

I agree that Bachmann does a much better job of their magazine.  On the other  hand, Hornby does a much better job of keeping us informed on the availability of new products.

I suspect the target readership for each is somewhat different, Hornby being more general and family oriented whereas Bachmann's readership is likely to me more hardcore RMWeb-like!  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Does anyone want my copies of the various Hornby magazines received during the last year of the 'old' club?  Specifically, issues 98 to 102 of 'The Collector' and issues 15-17 of 'The Collector Plus'.  They're free to a good home (excluding postage which will be about 3 quid for the lot or less for individual issues). Please be quick though, as they'll go in the recycling in a week or so....

Cheers
Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Had an email this morning saying that mine was on its way.

God alone knows what I'm going to do with the thing. The entire 'operational' life of the engine in that condition consisted of being towed dead from one of the Channel ports to Crewe.

• RMweb Gold

Taken the plunge of joining the download version of the club, now that there appeared to be some activity. All gone well so far, online purchase worked fine, emails including £20 voucher/giftcard appeared quickly. Once existing account was linked to the Club Membership it all works well.

WD Jinty ordered as it is a just for fun loco for £20. Magazine is same as before, needs improvement so hope that will appear in due course. Currently there is a survey to find out what members want as Club Exclusive models.

Overall, £15 for the mags in pdf format, 10% off web orders, £20 off an exclusive model and the other bits is pretty good value in my book. Not perfect but at the end of the day you are quids in if you buy a model.