TRACTION and TRACTION MODELLING 225

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

225%20cover.jpg

The next issue of TRACTION - issue 225 - is published on Friday 5th December 2014.

The last twelve months have been an interesting one for followers of locomotives on Britain’s railways with the introduction of a new type of main line diesel, the Class 68, the re-engineering of Class 73s in readiness for their duties on the Scottish sleeper services and the return to operation of many older locomotives to meet the demands of increasing traffic. The news that 27 of the HSTs are to move north to operate long distance services within Scotland is also welcome, although obviously this is still some time in the future. No doubt many TRACTION readers will also be looking forward to sampling the ‘68s’ on the Marylebone to Birmingham trains, whilst Arriva Trains Wales should also be operating some locomotive hauled trains along the North Wales coast line shortly.
Turning to this edition of TRACTION we have another selection of articles covering a wide variety of topics. David Clough discusses the problems of ‘MODERNISING BR’S FREIGHT SERVICES’ following the publication of the 1955 British Railways Modernisation Plan.
On a lighter note Russell Saxton recalls ‘MY BEST EVER DAY’S SPOTTING’ when he visited an open day at Swindon Works in 1981. 
Michael Rhodes returns with the second part of his feature ‘OXFORD FREIGHT’. This time he looks at the services that worked into Oxford from the north. 
Colin Boocock concludes his article about ‘THE LATER AC ELECTRICS’ by considering the Class 90s, 91s and 92s.
What was the last BR express diesel locomotive class? Was it the Class 50? In ‘THE LAST EXPRESS TYPE ON BR’ Michael Oakley argues that it was actually the Class 37/4, and backs this assertion up with a detailed look at their performance on passenger services.
Former BR locomotive controller, Michael Mercer, returns to the pages of TRACTION after a few years’ absence with his experiences of ‘LIFE AS A CONTROLLER IN THE 1980s’. This time he talks about the end of his time on the Eastern Region and the differences he found when he transferred across to the Western Region.
This issue’s contribution from photographer Gavin Morrison features ‘WESTBURY, A WILTSHIRE JUNCTION’, and covers the period from 1979 through to 2001.
TRACTION MODELLING includes an article about a model that would be very appropriate for a layout based on Westbury. Robert Evans wanted to improve his model of a Class 59 by fitting the Lima model with a chassis from the Bachmann Class 66. In ‘A BETTER CLASS 59’ he shows us how he did this.
When I saw the photos of ‘GRIMSBY TOWN’ by brothers Rob and Mick Doyle on the BR Blue forum I felt instantly that this was just the sort of layout that should feature in TRACTION MODELLING. It’s inspired very closely by the actual location on south Humberside and has a real sense of place which, coupled with superbly weathered and detailed rolling stock and locomotives, makes it one of the most appealing diesel era layouts I’ve seen.
Finally, I’d like to offer an invitation to all modellers who have a diesel or electric era layout, or have ideas for articles that they could contribute to TRACTION MODELLING to contact me at the editorial address or by email.

The next edition of TRACTION will be on sale on Friday 6th February 2015.

• RMweb Premium

It's a top issue, I'll enjoy this over the festive break!

cheers,

Keith

Thanks for that comment - makes all the hard work putting TRACTION together really worthwhile. You (and other readers) might like to do this survey

TRACTION 225 reader survey

We'd like to know which type of articles readers enjoy and find interesting. By completing this survey for the current issue you will help us to make TRACTION magazine even better.

Click on the link below:

http://goo.gl/forms/8YpW2Og1PH

Archived