Chiltern 68s to enter passenger service

If you notice, LED P.I.S displays on rolling stock and buses all flicker too.  It's not visible to the naked eye, or I guess our brain processes it as a constant light source.  

The camera does pick it up though, as it refreshes the image at a rate which intercepts the minuscule gaps in the emitted light.

The destination displays on both of these would have been visible to you or eye, but not the camera at the moment the image was captured:

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4700-4879/4919.html

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4700-4879/4929.html

• RMweb Gold

Surely that cannot be how they are meant to work.

As they are LED maybe they would go off if not needed but the flickering is very strange considering only the bottom two do it and the top one doesn't.

The top one is a different light unit, its only a marker light. It seem to be when the headlights are on full or dipped beam. Having said that one of the pictures in a previous post shows a tail lamp out

• RMweb Gold

This one has left me a little confused.

Might sound stupid but I wonder if the drivers of the 68s know about the lights flickering on the front.

Do the lights flicker when the 68 is stationary I wonder?

You can't tell the lights are flickering when driving them, its the type of camera that picks up this phenomenon, not all devices pick it up

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone got any update on how many services are 68 hauled at the moment.  I'm heading down to leamington and banbury this Thursday and was wondering how many I was likely to see.  Are they mainly on the Marylebone to Moor Street Services which are shown as 100 mph Class 158 paths on Real Time Trains.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The "'banbury" set is mk3s and loco but isn't shown as having business class as its a peak hour standard class set.

The 68s were parked up at Wembley the couple of times I travelled that way over the xmas period. They are having problems with them on the Business sets but are apparently OK on the Banbury set.

Came past Wembley yesterday morning on the 1045. 2 x 68s and 3 67s in the depot along with the spare blue and grey set and one other all silver set.

This morning (8am) 68010 was stabled in the loop between the shed and washer, 67008 & 20 were stabled in the siding at the east end and 68012 was coupled to the blue / grey (Banbury) mk3s. Presumably for a training run. This means that todays Banbury mk3 commuter ran as a dmu!

Additional note. When I arrived at Marylebone this evening for the 17:50 to Banbury I was pleased to see 68012 in charge. Fast acceleration and arrival in High Wycombe in 22 minutes.

The "'banbury" set is mk3s and loco but isn't shown as having business class as its a peak hour standard class set.

The 68s were parked up at Wembley the couple of times I travelled that way over the xmas period. They are having problems with them on the Business sets but are apparently OK on the Banbury set.

Something to do with doors, or are they not controlled from the loco at all?

Something to do with doors, or are they not controlled from the loco at all?

Hi,

I doubt that the doors are controlled from the Loco, this would mean that installation of an extra set of controls just for these locos, which I wouldn't think that DBS would be willing to do for what is a pretty small operation and fleet

I can't recall exactly what it was when I was told but it's certainly to do with the wiring

Could be something to with Push pull and Door signals interfering with each other?

Simon

Archived