Severn Models - Buildings Kits in Etched Brass

severn

Builds looking excellent! I'm impressed at the soldering, I'm definitely more a superglue builder though personally - just shows that my plan to make the kits optional for glue or solder really works :)

In the news....

I was at the Chatham show this weekend, a good show with lots of layouts in lots of scales. Some visitors and layout operators from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany now have some Severn Models kits as souvenirs.

This coming weekend I have my display at the Great Central Railway Model Event near Loughborough, where you can take a trip on the heritage rail and see layouts and traders at the stations. Well worth a day trip, so come and say hello.

New kit for the O gauge crew....

The greenhouse finally made it into 7mm! I used up the space in the rest of the fret as usual, to provide more staging tables, pots and trays to accessorise.

Now available at http://www.severnmodels.com

The walls, roof and door are all one component that folds round so you get nice crisp corners.

A few pics of my painted display model :

med_gallery_23208_3492_155254.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_143476.jpg

• Like 10

New kit for the N gauge / 2mm modellers... add some ultra detail with scale furniture ;)

Kit N19 available now.

I have tried to make as many items as possible to just fold out of a single piece of brass to minimise glueing.

There are tables, chairs, wardrobes, armchairs, bookcase, fireplace, kitchen units with cooker, beds, doors, dressing table.... there are even plates and baking trays for the kitchen, and a big book on the coffee table.

I will aim to do similar kits into 4mm and 7mm.

The assembled kit in brass :

med_gallery_23208_3492_59810.jpg

And this picture is the furniture installed into kit S2 - 144th scale dolls house. The stairs are part of the house kit.

med_gallery_23208_3492_182996.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Great furniture range - some of this looks like it could be used for office type furniture as well. Although a separate range of antique desks, chairs, tables, bookcases, cabinets etc would also be welcomed!!!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been out a few weeks now, I just forgot to post it here... the signal box interior kit now also available for 2mm / N gauge modellers :-)

Yes, its a bit fiddly ;-) but where else can you get a scale level crossing wheel where the mechanism actually has rack & pinion teeth :D

I tried to minimise fiddle where I could - the levers are attached to arcs representing the base frame, and linked in 6's.

You concertina the arcs together, and it forms a block of 6 levers.

So in 4 folded components you get 24 levers in frames represented.

(credit to Alan at T.Gauge.com for this idea, we shared some drawings last year, and he re-worked my signal box to 1:450 with interior!)

Where possible, the furniture items fold from one piece. There was a bit of spare space on the fret, so I squeezed in a few extra bits of furniture.

med_gallery_23208_3492_212554.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_34771.jpg

and this photo below shows the 2mm and 4mm versions together....

med_gallery_23208_3492_43232.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all. Just had an enjoyable weekend putting the garden tools set together and painting them. So easy and detail is really sharp! I am going to order the greenhouse/shed kits as soon as I get chance!

Do you have a list of upcoming 4mm kits that we will hopefully see over the next few months? I know we potentially have the 4mm furniture range coming (antique office furniture would be ideal too). A list would save me spending hard earned cash on other kits, when I might be better waiting for yours to be produced. Platform/Lineside/roadside detail kits would be great and anything to help build a picture of 1930's England!!!

Thank you

Ian

Hi Ian - good to hear you enjoyed your garden tools - if you have a couple of photos it would be good to add them to the gallery of customers photos on my website.

I am in the process of working out my next few kits - its quite tricky to decide where to go next, so suggestions are always useful.

My current shortlist looks a bit like this, none is set in stone though, and this lot would take me most of the year if I do all...

N / 2mm :

Some of the tools - things like wheelbarrows & stepladders. Maybe shovels etc though these might be slightly scale compromised to be possible. I will have to draw them up and see if it works.

Bench seating - probably the specific styles for the big 4, and maybe a modern variant or two.

Outhouses - aka the dunny

Other possibles : catenary, phone mast / depot lighting tower, maintenance platform. Still thinking about those.

OO / 4mm :

Loco & platelayer tools

Furniture - the first will likely be a mix of domestic & commercial, maybe utility designs so hopefully can fit a wide range of eras.

There's a half drawn electricity pylon on my computer, but there's work to do on making it use less brass otherwise it will cost too much.

Door detailing - like handles, letterboxes, etc.

Bench seating - again probably the specific styles for the big 4, and maybe a modern variant or two.

Outhouses - dunnys with plank seat, hopefully useful in a lot of layouts!

Other possibles : maintenance platform would work well in 4mm I think.

O / 7mm :

Signal box interior

Loco & platelayer tools

Furniture

Outhouse

Door detailing - handles, letterboxes, probably can do house numbers at this scale too, will have to draw them up and see.

Bench seating

I get a few requests for the signal box kit into 7mm. It would be a major undertaking with the detail level required at this scale, but the concept does roll around in my head quite a bit :-)

I also have in mind some tools and toolboxes for Gauge 1 modellers, and also some for 16mm & G scale.

This list really is the tip of a very sizeable iceberg of what is possible, if I can keep it going long term there is endless scope.

• Like 3

New kit for the N gauge / 2mm modellers... add some ultra detail with scale furniture ;)

I think I have just lost my sight, and the 2mm signal box interior just confirms it. The photos are so enlarged the detail looks bigger than reality. The 4mm were struggle enough while being very impressive but 2mm ... incredible detail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian - good to hear you enjoyed your garden tools - if you have a couple of photos it would be good to add them to the gallery of customers photos on my website.

I am in the process of working out my next few kits - its quite tricky to decide where to go next, so suggestions are always useful.

My current shortlist looks a bit like this, none is set in stone though, and this lot would take me most of the year if I do all...

N / 2mm :

Some of the tools - things like wheelbarrows & stepladders. Maybe shovels etc though these might be slightly scale compromised to be possible. I will have to draw them up and see if it works.

Bench seating - probably the specific styles for the big 4, and maybe a modern variant or two.

Outhouses - aka the dunny

Other possibles : catenary, phone mast / depot lighting tower, maintenance platform. Still thinking about those.

OO / 4mm :

Loco & platelayer tools

Furniture - the first will likely be a mix of domestic & commercial, maybe utility designs so hopefully can fit a wide range of eras.

There's a half drawn electricity pylon on my computer, but there's work to do on making it use less brass otherwise it will cost too much.

Door detailing - like handles, letterboxes, etc.

Bench seating - again probably the specific styles for the big 4, and maybe a modern variant or two.

Outhouses - dunnys with plank seat, hopefully useful in a lot of layouts!

Other possibles : maintenance platform would work well in 4mm I think.

O / 7mm :

Signal box interior

Loco & platelayer tools

Furniture

Outhouse

Door detailing - handles, letterboxes, probably can do house numbers at this scale too, will have to draw them up and see.

Bench seating

I get a few requests for the signal box kit into 7mm. It would be a major undertaking with the detail level required at this scale, but the concept does roll around in my head quite a bit :-)

I also have in mind some tools and toolboxes for Gauge 1 modellers, and also some for 16mm & G scale.

This list really is the tip of a very sizeable iceberg of what is possible, if I can keep it going long term there is endless scope.

Definitely interested in several of the planned 4mm kits so will be looking out for them if they make it to the shelf!!. I can imagine the effort involved designing these kits, with so much detail. I also understand that you need to make the as appealing to the masses as possible to make them commercially viable. I applaud your innovation, quality of workmanship, easy to follow instructions and advice! I just built a few Shire Scenes benches and the instructions were so hard to follow I ended up un-doing all my hard work and starting again once I found a picture of the prototype online!

• 4 weeks later...

Well after the 2mm signal box interior, I have been compelled to contrast in scale...

I figured it's time to add a few kits for the larger scale modeller, which will also be a crossover to the dollshouse miniaturist.

So how about a functional cantilever toolbox? and while we are at it, some tools to put in it!

When you assemble the box, you don't have to glue the pivots if you don't want to. This makes the box 'functional' with opening trays and lids.

Alternatively you can add a drop of superglue to the pivots to fix it in place.

Yes, that is a padlock on the lid, and yes, the key is in it ;)

The larger box is 40mm long :

scaling to an approx. 18" toolbox at 1:12

Kit T1 is the toolbox, and kit T2 is the appropriate tools set.

The smaller box is 24mm long :

scaling to about 18" at 1:19

scaling to about 22" at 1:24

(suitable for SM32 / SM45 / G scale garden railways / Gauge 3)

Kit G1 is the toolbox, and kit G2 is the suitable tools for it.

http://www.severnmodels.com

med_gallery_23208_3492_351936.jpg

sml_gallery_23208_3492_166056.jpg   sml_gallery_23208_3492_182833.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_88129.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_150068.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Other suggestions for the 2/4/7mm ranges: Platform luggage & trunks, platform ciggie/choccie machines, weighing machines, folded newspapers, station clocks, canopy valances for the big 4, sheet of paving slabs to match the ones with the greenhouse kit, possible building component sheets such as wood planking, brick/stone, roof slates etc, various windows and doors with detailing parts etc.

I know not everything lends itself to etched brass, but you have been very imaginative so far on how you can accomplish intricate detail and different shapes from one small sheet of super-thin metal!

That toolbox is wonderful!

Even more suggestions for you (in 7mm scale maybe). I roughed out some LMS lineside battery boxes with a view to casting them myself but they exceeded the capabilities of my little home made casting machine! Maybe they would be better as a fold up etch kit with cast legs to stand on.?

Not the best of pictures but I could re-photograph them if you are interested....

post-7179-0-79313300-1470681128.jpg

Jon Fitness

• Like 2

I worked in the model trade in the early1970's, and was firmly lectured by the then owner of Hamblings that etched brass kits were useless, as Sayer Chaplin had tried them in the late 1940's and failed to popularise them, ( mainly as you had to cut out each piece with a fret saw).

I showed him a Jidenco kit, and a Kings Cross kit, and he relented a bit, but said they would never catch on, and then I mentioned fine details in brass, buildings, "gingerbread details" as the US modeller puts it, and he said impossible on cost, nobody would ever buy them.

Out of touch or what?

Any chance of a Nestle and a Cadbury chocolate machines, ticket machines, or platform clocks? or a clock on/ off works clock for a workshop scene.......

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

Thanks for all the suggestions - I have noted them in my 'potentials' list. The more times something gets asked for, the higher up the list it gets.

I'm currently working through a new batch of kits - I hope to be working on the first 4mm furniture kit probably next week, so aiming to be available in about a month once tooling/testing is done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy.

I purchased one of your Electricity Pylons from Midland Railex at Butterley a few weeks ago and had the opportunity/pleasure of putting it together on a demo stand at the Soar Valley, Heart of the Midlands Exhibition in Loughborough last weekend. 

I'd get some more etched if I were you as a good number of people were very interested, especially in the insulators!  Many commented on how well I had put it together, but I quickly pointed out that the reason it looked so good was because it had been designed well - My soldering is far from expert level! 

I'll definitely be buying another and will probably also buy the larger one when it's ready, for a different layout.

Things that add height to a layout really make a difference, so I'll be looking forward to seeing things like telephone masts and radio transmitters added to your range.

Thanks from a very happy customer.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

post-11905-0-94428800-1473281695_thumb.jpgpost-11905-0-09968900-1473281715_thumb.jpg

I Thought I'd add a couple of pictures now it's had a coat of paint.

It isn't necessarily going where it is in the photo but it gives an idea of the size compared with buildings. It will probably end up on another board altogether but that one is packed away as the club room is undergoing a thorough clear out! About time too!

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 2

Looking very good :) I'm glad to hear it went together well, though you are braver than I if you soldered it - my display sample is superglued :)

I was talking with a modeller at the weekend who used to build real ones for a living - the largest he was aware of was a staggering 190 feet high!

I have a few new kits and will post photos tomorrow... one of them is the 4mm pylon...

It has been a long time in the development, I have been working on this on and off for almost a year trying to make a good kit / model without using too much metal or making it hard to build...

But finally here is the electricity pylon kit for the OO modeller / 4mm : 1ft  :)

It stands about 280mm tall, on an 80mm square footprint, so will most definitely provide some height on the layout!

It is available to order on the website but I am just working on the assembly guide drawings - there will be a few ready to ship next week for anyone keen to build one.

Shown in the photo with its little sibling N / 2mm version.

med_gallery_23208_3492_111058.jpg

SaveSave

• Like 4

Another new 4mm kit - some furniture and bits 'n pieces.

I think there will likely be a further two furniture kits at this scale - one with things like armchairs, fireplace, bookcases etc, and another with office desks, filing cabinets, etc.

This one includes 2 beds, 6 chairs, table, wardrobe, desk, dressing table and stool. The spaces on the fret were filled up with plates, books, box files, desk tidy, an oval tray and a jewellery box, just in case you needed more detail :)

Each chair frame is a one piece fold-up, just add the seat cushion after. Wardrobe, desk and dressing table are also one piece fold-ups. Beds are 3 pieces each.

It was suggested by a modeller at an exhibition recently, that if you can't see in through the windows of a house to see furniture, you could model 'removals day' and have furniture being loaded on a truck. I like stuff like that - trying to capture a moment in time.

med_gallery_23208_3492_98805.jpg

• Like 6

And for the 2mm / N modellers...

The tools kit - includes wheelbarrows, workbenches, shelves, boxes, plant pots, seed trays, shovels, pickaxes, hammers and spades.

The ladders and platforms kit has 2 stepladders and 4 work platforms, good for the engine / maintenance shed. There were some long thin spaces on the fret, so there are 3 lengths of straight ladder too, for you to cut to your required length. If you wanted a longer work platform, you can cut out the back handrail and glue two platforms back to back.

med_gallery_23208_3492_83947.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_121540.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Your electricity pylon really looks good - I think I must give it a try this winter season. If I can do it properly and I like it I will export it to the "continent"  (Donnersbachkogel)

Vecchio