Severn Models - Buildings Kits in Etched Brass

severn

Next weekend is Fathers Day... so...

if you're a dad, get the kids to treat you to a day out...

if you're a son/daughter, take your dad for a day out...

The 19th, 20th & 21st June is the Great Central Model Railway Event, at their stations in and around Loughborough.

Take a ride on the heritage line, and at each station there will be layouts and traders galore, an excellent day out. 60+ layouts is quite a lot to see!

Of course the Severn Models roadshow will be in attendance, stand 36 at Quorn Station, so come along and say hi :)

All the new kits will be on show, in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a little break now from taking the kits to exhibitions, the next one is at Bournville, Birmingham on 29th August.

But this doesn't mean I get to rest - there are new kits to work on!

This week I am working on new kits for tools and accessories in 4mm and 7mm...  watch this space :)

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Markus - good to see your signal box on location! can I see a signalman inside?

In the news this week... a new kit for N gauge / 2mm modellers is almost ready - an electricity pylon! Here's a couple of sneak peek photos of the test models :

165mm tall, 47x47mm footprint.

med_gallery_23208_3492_147672.jpg med_gallery_23208_3492_164924.jpg

Edited by severn
  • Like 3

I'm not sure it will get done into 4mm due to the surface area of the brass required to make it though...

For a structure that is actually mostly air, it sure uses a lot of metal!

The 2mm version will be £26, but I did a rough bit of working out and to do a 4mm I estimated they have to cost about £66  :O bit too much I think?

If there is enough interest I will produce it though :)

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure it will get done into 4mm due to the surface area of the brass required to make it though...

For a structure that is actually mostly air, it sure uses a lot of metal!

The 2mm version will be £26, but I did a rough bit of working out and to do a 4mm I estimated they have to cost about £66  :O bit too much I think?

If there is enough interest I will produce it though :)

Is it a single fold up 4 sided structure, similar in concept to the "n'brass" lighting tower?

If so;

Would it be possible to produce it in 4mm as 4 seperate sides, maybe with registration tabs to be filed off?, this could save a bit of real estate.

Mike.

PS. I know jack sh!t about etched kit design, so apologies if the foregoing is b*ll*cks.

Hi Mike - I would split up some components to be a bit smaller, so they would save space on the sheet but it still takes up quite a bit of metal.

This one has folds at the opposite corners, and glue tabs at the other corners. Each change in taper requires a new component.

Even so, the tower itself is just six components, and each 'arm' is one piece that folds up to create the triangular prism shape.

sml_gallery_23208_3492_147672.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If someone wanted a pylon on the layout, I doubt they'd want more than one or two.  But, the power lines could be taken to a ground mounted sub-station.

Therefore, the areas of brass within the pylon frame that are 'waste' - could they be used to etch components for the sub-station parts - frames, insulators, fence, gates, etc ?  Similarly, the pylon lines might be transferred to a wooden pole mounted supply line - so pole mounted transformers and isolation switches could be included.

This weekend all the new models will be on display at the Andover Model Railway Show... http://www.amrc.hampshire.org.uk/page7.html 

Got some new tool kits in 4mm and 7mm.... They are not yet on the website but will go on next week - that is assuming the modellers of Andover don't buy them all ;)

4mm first :

med_gallery_23208_3492_179039.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_40328.jpg

and 7mm :

med_gallery_23208_3492_68723.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_48830.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_208173.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Amazing detail in those tools - I have posted a link to this topic on the Gauge O Guild Forum and so I hope this helps to generate more orders for you - of course it's Guildex at Telford this weekend which would be a very local show for you !

• Like 1

The new tool kits in 4mm and 7mm are now available :)

A couple of them are quite low stock, but more will be ready in about 10 days. You can still order if it says no stock, and it goes on as a back-order to ship as soon as they come in.

Head over to http://severnmodels.com for the zoomy photos and have a good look at the details!

Also, I will be off to the International N Gauge Show this weekend, so come and say hello at stand 48 :)

• Like 1