The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

Interesting lettering on the Lilleshall Co integral wagons. It seems to be L Co at one end but I can't see clearly what the word is at the other end. Anybody else got a guess?

I'd say it looks like WORKS

re the wagons built by The Midland Wagon Co for the Lileshall Co from 1915, these would have been built at the Waswood Heath site (later to become Metropolita Cammel) as the Midland Wagon Co site at Shrewsbury closed down in 1912 with production being moved to the Washwood Heath site.

I am attaching a poor quality photo of the Priorslee works showing another Lilleshall wagon.

attachicon.gifimg308 (2).jpg

The wagon to the left of the Lilleshall branded one is a GWR one and given that this is in an earlier lettering style someone may be able to give an approx date.

I mentioned that the Lilleshall Co supplied loco coal to a number of main line companies and here an LMS loco Coal wagon can be seen on the Lilleshalls system.

[attachment=801239:W 123. Lilleshal company wagon and LMS Loco coal wagon. (3).

I am now attaching a "mystry" photograph which shows a section of the Lillishall Co system but I dont know where! The photo was taken by Arthur Dodd (A.J.B Dodd) who took lots of photos of the area and is now sadly deceased. The photo was sent to me by his son (Mike Dodd) hoping I might be able to place it, but no! the signal in the far distance is similar to another photo i have (which I need to scan in ) but that does not have a location either!

attachicon.gifPossible Lillishall trackwork.jpg

hi the mystry photo is the lilleshall company level crossing on the A5 under what is now aldi and wikes

Arthur,

Thanks again for the info posted. Am I correct in thinking that the row of small chimmneys in the foreground are coking ovens? 

David

yes they were the coking plant  they also had a plant doing coal distillation on the site making tar and benzene ect the leftover coke then went for the furnaces  

• 3 weeks later...

As I have not posted on this thread for some time I thought it was about time I remidied that! Not only did the Lilleshall Co build locomotives for itself, it al;so built locomotives for sale, not in large numbers but enough. They seem to have beem well built as 3 locos provided to Rawnsley and Cannock Wood collieries lasted untill the early 1960s.

post-20690-0-98537600-1500127297_thumb.jpg

Marquis was built in 1867 and was delivered new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries, Rawnsley. It moved to Grove Colliery Little Wyrley before being withdrawn in April 1963 and was cut up on site in May 1964.

A second loco delivered was Anglesey built in 1868 and again delivered to Cannock and Rugeley Collierys, Rawnsleyt. Scrapped at Cannock Wood Colliery in March 1962.k

post-20690-0-47397600-1500127573_thumb.jpg

Note the different wheels and the different cab height.

A third loco Rawnsley was built in 1973 and again delivered to Cannock and Rugeley Colliery and was scrapped at Cannock Wood Colliery in March 1962.

It is a shame that these locomotives were not able to hang on for a few more years for potential preservation.

David

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 9

As I have not posted on this thread for some time I thought it was about time I remidied that! Not only did the Lilleshall Co build locomotives for itself, it al;so built locomotives for sale, not in large numbers but enough. They seem to have beem well built as 3 locos provided to Rawnsley and Cannock Wood collieries lasted untill the early 1960s.

Lilleshall built in 1868 Marquis at Rawnsley Col..jpg

Marquis was built in 1867 and was delivered new to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries, Rawnsley. It moved to Grove Colliery Little Wyrley before being withdrawn in April 1963 and was cut up on site in May 1964.

A second loco delivered was Anglesey built in 1868 and again delivered to Cannock and Rugeley Collierys, Rawnsleyt. Scrapped at Cannock Wood Colliery in March 1962.k

Rawnsley Colliary in NB days with Lilleshall built loco. 6-3-1960.jpg

Note the different wheels and the different cab height.

David

Those are some interestingly proportioned cabs - not sure you would actually be able to look out of those windows. Any reasons for this?

post-31270-0-79176400-1500840850_thumb.jpgHere is a recently scanned view of Lilleshall Peckett No 10 working in the area of Priorslee furnaces, taken by A.J.B.Dodd sometime in the mid 1950's. This was a very thin Neg, hence the darkness of the picture, but 1/2 an hour in Photoshop has provided us with this image.

• Like 8

Guest Isambarduk

... not sure you would actually be able to look out of those windows. Any reasons for this?

They were as much to let light in as to be able to look out of.  David

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would post some more photos of Lilleshall built locos.

The first one is Lilleshall No 9 built by George Stevenson and Co. It was bought by the Lilleshall Co in 1904 and lasted until 1929 before being disposed of. There is uncertainty as to when and where it was scrapped.

post-20690-0-29906200-1502269750_thumb.jpg

The second loco is Lilleshall No 7 built by the company in 1870 and withdrawn in 1948 and was likely scrapped in July 1949. There is a possibility that it was transferred to the NCB when Granville Coll became part of the NCB but was never used by the NCB.

post-20690-0-42756500-1502269947_thumb.jpg

post-20690-0-85527700-1502269971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.  Interesting notes below the flickr image on this loco, and worth following the attached link to the Chasewater Wordpress page:

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/cannock-rugeley-colliery-co-locomotives/

The flickr notes suggest it is the loco built for the 1862 International Exhibition in London, whereas the Chasewater page describes an engine built for the 1867 Paris Exhibition - unless they are one and the same (mind you 5 years is a long time in the then rapidly developing steam locomotive era).

Edited by Osgood

My understanding is that the loco was built on spec to try and break into a different market for locomotives, but no orders followed. Perhaps the loco was touted round any exhibition to try and drum up orders wherever they thought they might be avaliable. After a few years with no sales the loco was broken up and parts used in the construction of an 0-6-0.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the announcement of the Hattons Barcley, this is the loco I want a model of, the loco was bought new in 1948 and went to Granville Colliery and remained there until it was scrapped in 1967.

A 16'' I presume given the stocky appearance and the dumpy chimney.

Andy

A 16'' I presume given the stocky appearance and the dumpy chimney.

Andy

I think the best way to tell a 16-inch Barclay from the 14-inch are the long triangular brackets that run from the top of the bufferbeam to the front of the smokebox, as on this loco.

I think the best way to tell a 16-inch Barclay from the 14-inch are the long triangular brackets that run from the top of the bufferbeam to the front of the smokebox, as on this loco.

They're not brackets, they are part of the frames shaped to allow for the bigger cylinder castings and higher pitched boiler.