The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

The Coast Line models transfers have now arrived and I have made a start on the Hanwood Cooiery first ( I am doing 2 Hanwood). The big issue now is to get the colour for the Lilleshall wagon colour sorted out. A number of wagon bodies have been completed, just need spraying. Alan Jones at Coast Line tells me the Hanwood transfers have been selling really well, ( he has had to order a second batch) presumably anyone modelling the Cambrian area can justify at least one of these.

C97C3D08-E110-47C1-B7AF-C82D7C94192C.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have now tried out a set of the transfers and they work well but it raises a question. I have painted the wagons and then applied the transfers, but should the ironwork be painted black? The Bachmann Lilleshall Lime wagon has the ironwork black, but the photos I have looked at ( there are only a few to look at) don’t seem to make it clear. It’s a bit embarrassing having started this thread that I don’t know the answer.

19097476-430F-4876-B4A0-669983964CD3.jpeg

• Like 4

On the G&SWR wagons had the ironwork painted black when new but when they were repainted everything just got painted grey!  I know that is an example from a mainline company but I would expect PO wagons to be treated similarly.  I know how long it takes to paint the ironwork on a miniature wagon so the time on a full sized one would be similar and come at a cost. 

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I've made a general comment about PO wagon painting on your new topic. Did the Lilleshall Co. maintain its own wagon fleet or did it have maintenance contracts with the builders? (Having seen the wide range of the Co's activities, I could well imagine it did this in-house, which would be a little unusual.) Did it in fact own its own wagons or were they on hire from the builders? This might affect the approach to re-painting. 

Stephen, The Lilleshall Co hired in lots of its wagons but I think some were bought, but it also had its own wagon repair facility. However they had over 350 internal wagons so I suspect the wagon repairs were mainly for the internal use wagons. They still had dumb buffered wagons in the internal fleet in the early 1950s.

I don’t know if the company who hired out the wagons to the Lilleshall Co would let them do repairs without authorisation, but perhaps the hire fees were adjusted if the Lilleshall Co did the repairs.

A very confusing situation!

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making progress on some Lilleshall Co wagons using the transfers I commisioned from Coast Line Models (these are available to all) on some Cambrian and Slaters wagons. I used Humbrol 174 for the body colour and after some discussions about what colour the ironwork should be I painted them black. Now there is a way to madness as its a very tedious jobe and easy to make a mistake. I found out the hard way that the transfers need to be taped down on the model at both ends and in the middle (top) to stop the sheet moving whilst rubbing them down. To be safe I have applied a thin coat of satin varnish over the transfers before I weather them. The brass underframes are from Brassmasters (drawn up by Martin Finney) and are Gloucester underframes 1907. I have also finished a Hanwood Colliery wagon (Cambrian with Coast Line transfers) as its relativly local and there are very few PO wagon transfers for East Shropshire.

David

IMG_2452 (2).JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

Stephen, thanks for posting that film clip, fascinating. Not just the Lilleshall wagon but the whole freight train, I was intrigued by the D1 single plank wagons with what looks like ballast.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My first thought was that those five D1s were loaded with ballast but having studied the film several times I'm not convinced. It seems to be something arranged in rows along the wagon. Pipes maybe? But those could be stacked higher in a deeper wagon. Some sort of iron casting?

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2017 at 16:59, Norton961 said:

T

I have now also attached a better drawing of the systempost-20690-0-20670900-1484758554_thumb.jpg

The goods shed at Lubstree Wharf is still extant and is currently for sale as a residential development.

The artist's impression is far from it's current state as a roofless ruin!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80828678.html

2 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Stephen, thanks for posting that film clip, fascinating. Not just the Lilleshall wagon but the whole freight train, I was intrigued by the D1 single plank wagons with what looks like ballast.

David

I was interested to see that the last 'run' of wagons were all dumb buffered whereas the majority of wagons had sprung ones.  Was it a 'practice' to place dumb buffered wagons together for some reason?

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I was interested to see that the last 'run' of wagons were all dumb buffered whereas the majority of wagons had sprung ones.  Was it a 'practice' to place dumb buffered wagons together for some reason?

I strongly suspect that they are a block of PW dept wagons carrying materials from A to B.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5050 said:

I don't think so. The four dumb buffered wagons at the rear are, I think, all from the same colliery or coal factor - although it's not decipherable, they all have lettering set out in an arc; that would explain why they are together. Out of 20 PO wagons in this 36 wagon train, 12 are dumb buffered and their positions are 3/5/7/8/10/16/19/30/32-35.

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

I strongly suspect that they are a block of PW dept wagons carrying materials from A to B.

They are regular D1 1-plank wagons, not PW dept wagons - the latter were 2-plank dropside wagons and branded with the initials of the engineer's district to which they were assigned. They could be carrying new PW equipment as freight but could as equally well be some other load.

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2019 at 11:37, Happy Hippo said:

The goods shed at Lubstree Wharf is still extant and is currently for sale as a residential development.

The artist's impression is far from it's current state as a roofless ruin!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80828678.html

Wow - that could be a very interesting home given plenty of time and funds ! Some pics of it in 'better days' and a map snapshot of the track layout as it was early 1900's.

Could potentially make an interesting LNWR / Lilleshall Co shunting layout  ?

nb12.jpg

nb13.jpg

20160930_112047.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/04/2019 at 11:34, Norton961 said:

I found out the hard way that the transfers need to be taped down on the model at both ends and in the middle (top) to stop the sheet moving whilst rubbing them down.

I have a number of jigs, each a 'tight' fit to a wagon size.

Jig #3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, purplepiepete said:

Wow - that could be a very interesting home given plenty of time and funds ! Some pics of it in 'better days' and a map snapshot of the track layout as it was early 1900's.

Could potentially make an interesting LNWR / Lilleshall Co shunting layout  ?

nb12.jpg

nb13.jpg

20160930_112047.jpg

Any idea what the little building is right at the end of the longest road?  To small for a loco shed I would have thought and a long way from the centre of activity around the goods shed area.

Edited by 5050

• RMweb Gold

After conversion, it might look like this (I know it’s a screenshot, but since it effectively provides an advert for the property, surely no copyright problems?):

46C28A90-F3B8-4461-A187-10DCC82C5940.jpeg.64429ba559cba16a25db8f0ddc5543db.jpeg

20 hours ago, 5050 said:

Any idea what the little building is right at the end of the longest road?  To small for a loco shed I would have thought and a long way from the centre of activity around the goods shed area.

Hmm - not sure ? It's listed on the estate agents details as the 'Steam House' but, as you say, unlikely it was a loco shed.

Maybe contained a stationary engine for rope working wagons or barges along the wharf or similar ?