The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

Guest Isambarduk
1 hour ago, purplepiepete said:

It's listed on the estate agents details as the 'Steam House' ...

So it's not that then ;)

David

• 1 month later...

An update on the slow progress of buil;ding Lilleshall wagons. Attached a photo of some wagons using the Coast Line transfers and 2 old pre printed Cambrian wagons. For these I painted in the strapping a very tedious job!

IMG_2701.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the details of Lilleshall locos in the book by Bob Yate (The Railways and Locomotives of the Lilleshall Co) the liveries are not always noted, but it appears that No3 the ex Taff Vale Railway tank was painted "light green" and we now know that the Lilleshall built No6 was also painted light green. I suspect that any locos bought in by the Lilleshall Co second hand would have kept the livery they arrived in, presumably in most cases black.

I am attaching a detail of No6 showing the livery. The loco was transfered to the NCB in 1950 when the Lilleshall Co pits were nationalised but I suspect it did not do much work before being scrapped in 1955. The structure in the background is possibly Lodge Furnaces.

David

Number 6  2 - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Lilleshall Co wagon livery appears to change I think after the Grouping with the lettering changing from plain Lilleshall Co, Shropshire to the full Lilleshall Co  Ltd with Glazed Bricks, Coal and underneath Pig Iron and Steel sections, Shifnal Shropshire. There are few pfhotos of this later livery and all appear to have been taken in the 1930s leading me to think its a post grouping change.

Attached is a photo taken in the 1930s at Hadnall station and shows a Lilleshall Co wagon in the background. Further down the line a LC (standing for Littleton Colliery) liveried wagon can be seen. Cant quite make out the livery of the wagon next to the Lilleshall one though.

Hadnall in the 1930s. (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norton961 said:

The Lilleshall Co wagon livery appears to change I think after the Grouping with the lettering changing from plain Lilleshall Co, Shropshire to the full Lilleshall Co  Ltd with Glazed Bricks, Coal and underneath Pig Iron and Steel sections, Shifnal Shropshire. There are few pfhotos of this later livery and all appear to have been taken in the 1930s leading me to think its a post grouping change.

Drat!  That means the set of transfers I only received last week aren't actually correct for my at-the-Grouping layout.  I feel a sudden need to apply Rule 1 . . .

Mike I feel your pain, as I have some of the revised livery wagons (and I sponsered the production of the transfers!). But like you I cant prove its a post grouping change and so far no one else can so as you say Rule 1 applies.

David

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

what a great shot that is by Geoff--many moons ago he used to be the departmental photographer in the Geography Department at Birmingham University, and the walls on the corridor outside his studio were festooned with his photographs of railways, especially of the Midlands, many of which were published--he is still very active as a photographer, on Flickr, and I remember fondly those far off days 'in the department', impressed by Geoff's photographic skills on display to us undergrads...

cheers,

Keith

On 16/02/2022 at 18:30, montyburns56 said:

I think this might be the crossing on Wellington Road.

"Granville No 5" 1964 by Geoff Dowling

Hunslet meets Bedford (pjs,1173)

Close. This isn’t the Wellington Road crossing but what was then School Road crossing, about 250m further south. 

Stuart

• Thanks 1