The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

quarry steam locomotives?

Andy

I don't think there were any quarry steam locos at Nantmawr Quarry.  There is an interesting account of the quarry railway in 1953 on this website - http://www.oswestry-borderland-heritage.co.uk/?page=133  and this also includes a photo of Lilleshall 10 ton wagon No.1750.

The quarry was connected to the crusher and limekilns at the end of the Nantmawr Branch by a long rope-worked incline.  From the top of the incline to the quarry itself was quite a short distance and the above account describes that this section was horse worked.  A horse was also used for shunting at the bottom of the incline.

I visited the quarry in 1959 by which date the internal railway system had been replaced by lorries and the only remaining railway item I found in the quarry was a very derelict standard gauge timber side tipping wagon, so I assume the quarry system was standard gauge. 

• Like 2

I'm still looking for a definitive account of this. Which coalfields produced the best coal for which purpose? For instance, where did the best coal for gas production come from? I realise the question is complicated by individual coalfields or even collieries producing a variety grades of coal.

Where is "Coal and how to burn it?"

It’s not always an area thing but a seam by seam thing some seams produce good coking coal while one or two above could be good house coal.

When I started in my industry we still have quite a bit of coal fired heating and steam rasing plant and coal quality was important and a well understood science, if you have a dig around you should find some old coal board publications that would answer a lot of your questions.

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to get hold of a copy of the 'Railways and Locomotives of the Lilleshall Company' book and it's just popped through the letterbox.

Today's plan: Get work done, make a brew, enjoy the sunshine with the book, get inspired.

• 2 months later...

I came across this un-used wagon label earlier this year. It seems to indicate that the Lilleshall Co performed rolling activities for other steel manufacturer's. I would be interested if anyone can shed some light on the logistics of this operation eg where was the steel rolled & how did it get from the mainline to the steel rolling plant & how did it leave? If anyone can provide an insight into the operational nature of this that would be appreciated. Cheers for now Steaman.

post-31270-0-53594600-1531949875_thumb.jpg

Steam an, excellent find. I think these steel blooms were for the Lilleshall Companies own use. Remember that the Lilleshall Co had a business selling large steel framed buildings and for this they would require steel blooms to be brought to the rolling mill to create the steel sections. Presumably they had these steel blooms delivered even when the blast furnaces were in use as this produced pig iron which is not suitable.

What I don’t know is where the rolling mill was, possibly it was in New Yard, but I need to do more research.

David

• Like 1

Having gone of and looked at my books, some clarification. The rolling mill was alongside the blast furnaces, and after the blast furnaces were closed the rolling mill was converted to electric power and continued until 1982. New Yard closed in 1931. As the internal rail system closed in 1958 one can only surmise that any steel blooms delivered by rail to Hollinswood Yard would then be taken into the rolling mills by lorry as I am not aware of BR locos moving wagons from Hollinswood Yard into the Rolling Mills about 1/2 a mile away.

If the Lilleshall Co were rolling for other customers then the steel sections would have to leave by lorry either to Hollinswood Yard for onwards transshipment or directly to the customer by lorry.

David

• Like 1

From a modelling perspective what would a steel bloom look like and what wagons would carry them? Presumably either on plate wagons or bogie bolsters. Would be nice if someone can post some pictures.

David

Pete, thanks for the update. Unfortunately I can’t find my copy of The Lilleshall Company history, most frustrating being as I started this thread!

David

Quite hard to find a secondhand copy these days but let me know if you need anything. You may be correct about rolling at New Yard as the following page refs. this although it may just be a company product of that site.

post-29796-0-80770900-1531996417_thumb.jpg

Edited by purplepiepete

From a modelling perspective what would a steel bloom look like and what wagons would carry them? Presumably either on plate wagons or bogie bolsters. Would be nice if someone can post some pictures.

David

Couple of pics of 'modern' steel bloom vehicles - I think you are correct re bogie bolsters being the mode of transport in earlier years.

I believe bloom is the term used for the thicker square rolled blast furnace product (per r/h wagon load) which is then typically hot rolled into thinner billets / ingots etc but no doubt those with better knowledge will correct me !

post-29796-0-31026100-1531996809_thumb.png

post-29796-0-97731200-1531996822_thumb.png

Edited by purplepiepete

The Lilleshal Pecket has landed. Arrived today and looks superb. When I started this thread I never thought I would see the day the a RTR model of a Lilleshall loco would become available. The wagon in the photo is one from Cambrian many years ago as a kit, I have only been able to find 3 so my fleet is not large enough! If anyone has any for sale let me know.

The Hornby Lilleshall Peckett has sold out on pre order but no doubt some retailers may have some. Fabulous model and thank you Hornby for doing it.post-20690-0-47537700-1532610641_thumb.jpeg

All we need now is for Hatton to do the different cabsides to the Barcley and 2 more locos can be Lilleshal Co ones.

post-494-0-59845400-1532626912.jpeg

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 4

The Lilleshal Pecket has landed. Arrived today and looks superb. When I started this thread I never thought I would see the day the a RTR model of a Lilleshall loco would become available. The wagon in the photo is one from Cambrian many years ago as a kit, I have only been able to find 3 so my fleet is not large enough! If anyone has any for sale let me know.

The Hornby Lilleshall Peckett has sold out on pre order but no doubt some retailers may have some. Fabulous model and thank you Hornby for doing it.attachicon.gifF90F8EAF-70B3-4953-8CBF-F760499FCBC7.jpeg

All we need now is for Hatton to do the different cabsides to the Barcley and 2 more locos can be Lilleshal Co ones.

At the moment of posting this, Keith at Walton''s of Altrincham is advertising a Lilleshall Pecket on his website.

Might be of some help to somebody.

C.

The Hornby Lilleshall Peckett has sold out on pre order but no doubt some retailers may have some. Fabulous model and thank you Hornby for doing it.attachicon.gifF90F8EAF-70B3-4953-8CBF-F760499FCBC7.jpeg

Nice - I got cheesed off with waiting and ordered a Barclay! Looks good.

• 3 weeks later...

David, that's a good price for a copy of a fairly rare publication - it appears that my copy was purchased directly from Lill Co for the princely sum of £2.50 back in 1980, probably by my late Father.

For info Moorland also produced an excellent book 'The Mines of Shropshire' ( in about 1976 I think ) was has a small but interesting section with photos and descriptions of the Lill Co Mines.

Peter.

post-29796-0-17926700-1535044933_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Several of the Lilleshall loco fleet had removable rear spectacle plates and I thought i'd have a go at creating a cheap & cheerful version of 2794 with the rear spectacle plate fitted. I know that there will no doubt be historical inaccuracies with my approach, but I decided to convert a Hornby 27XX to become 2794. I purchased the loco second hand for £30 and here is what I did:-

1) Remove the cab roof

post-31270-0-61751400-1537009007_thumb.jpg

2) The roof looked like this

post-31270-0-43185000-1537009278_thumb.jpg

3) Make a new cab roof from .030" plastic sheet

post-31270-0-39785700-1537009328_thumb.jpg

4) Make a rear spectacle plate from .030" plastic sheet

post-31270-0-14969000-1537009380_thumb.jpg

5) Fit roof & spectacle plate to loco

post-31270-0-20828500-1537009443_thumb.jpg

6) Purchase from Narrow Planet some 2794 GWR pattern numbers & fit + make small Coal Board registration plate from excess sheet supplied with the 2794 number plate.

post-31270-0-47152500-1537009613_thumb.jpg

7) Carefully remove the original Great Western lettering from the pannier tanks with wire wool and apply a thin coating of olive drab paint to give a dull finish.

post-31270-0-91710500-1537009741_thumb.jpg

The next loco for conversion is the 0-4-0 Barclay into Alberta.

Regards

Steaman

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If you want to get a good smooth curve of uniform radius from plastic sheet, tape an over-size piece to a suitable former of the right radius (something like a large food tin or small paint can) and immerse in just-off-the-boil water for 5 minutes. Then trim the piece to size. (At the edges where it's taped, the plastic may not have been tight up against the former and so may not have taken the true radius.) Also, it may be easier to form two pieces from thinner plastic and laminate them.

The Class 15 preservation society has produced a 3 wagon set of Lilleshall wagons with 2 different versions of the wagon livery and there are only a limited number of sets left(17 I think). They are currently putting them on eBay. Search for the seller 60080.di_7. They are not cheap at £48.00 for 3 but they are designed to provide funds for the restoration of the loco. Needless to say I have bought a set.

David

Pictures of the 3 wagon set from the Class 15 preservation society. The colour is very red but that will match with the Bachmann Limestone wagon. I think the livery with all the additional info on may be post 1923 but I dont have any definative info.

.post-20690-0-45654500-1537265513_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My wagons have now arrived and the lettering is excellent. The base wagons are from Dapol and 2 of them have steel under frames making them post 1923, but not sure about the timber framed one.post-20690-0-94464300-1537368855_thumb.jpegpost-20690-0-39609200-1537368904_thumb.jpegpost-20690-0-57099900-1537368952_thumb.jpeg

The photos seem to have turned through 90 degrees and I don’t know how to solve that!

David

• RMweb Gold

I suspect you took the photos on an iPhone... it adds the orientation of the camera to the “metadata” attached to the file, as part of a (poor programming) attempt to preserve the aspect ratio.

If you edit the photo - even with the iOS photo app - you can select the resize option, then rotate the picture counter-clockwise (other directions are not available!) 4 times, save, and it should be ok.

This is all part of Apple making life “easier” for you by removing your ability to make decisions.

Drives me up the wall, until I have to use MS or Android, then I remember why I prefer Apple products!

My wagons have now arrived and the lettering is excellent. The base wagons are from Dapol and 2 of them have steel under frames making them post 1923, but not sure about the timber framed one.attachicon.gif1DBF9BC2-C068-4AC6-8C58-5CB265E81C50.jpegattachicon.gif79E8A065-1F7A-41B8-98FB-947A99DB4621.jpegattachicon.gif1D7C62D6-9B61-4D4E-96E4-AF74116AC069.jpeg

The photos seem to have turned through 90 degrees and I don’t know how to solve that!

David

Very nice wagons ! Does anyone know if there is any O gauge Lilleshall based stock available or transfers to convert a 'standard' 5 plank PO wagon ? I am working on a small 1920's period layout based around Nantmawr and some quarry based stock would look the part. Thanks.

My wagons have now arrived and the lettering is excellent. The base wagons are from Dapol and 2 of them have steel under frames making them post 1923, but not sure about the timber framed one.attachicon.gif1DBF9BC2-C068-4AC6-8C58-5CB265E81C50.jpegattachicon.gif79E8A065-1F7A-41B8-98FB-947A99DB4621.jpegattachicon.gif1D7C62D6-9B61-4D4E-96E4-AF74116AC069.jpeg

David

Steel underframes, per se, do not indicate any construction date. PO wagons were built with metal frames from around 1880, and the option for timber or steel was included in many of the RCH specifications. Several main line companies adopted steel as their standard, whilst others dabbled with them from time to time. Timber framed PO wagons were built up until at least 1946.

I have noted an interesting example in Turton's Third Collection where an old South Wales & Cannock Chase metal framed wagon was ostensibly "rebuilt" by Gloucester in 1925, appearing with a completely new timber underframe. I suspect little of the original remained after this work.

Regarding the Dapol wagons, the first is probably a reasonable impression of one of their wagons, to an RCH spec, the other two look, to me, to be based on a rather more modern mainline company's design, with a longer body and wheelbase than most PO wagons, a common Dapol product, although I might be doing them an injustice without being able to measure the actual model.