Fenchurch St Peter

George Woodcock

Hello

Work has now commenced on the new layout being built by John, Richard and myself. The layout is set in East Anglia in 1967 and is based on the station at Middle Drove on the line from Wisbech to Kings Lynn via Magdelan Road. The reason for the name change is simply because we have played about with the geography and also the track layout. The layout features green locos and DMUs with a mix of fitted and unfitted stock. The plan has been drawn out full size and construction has started on the buildings. All being well work will start next weekend on the first two baseboards with the first track laid over the Christmas period. The layout will be DCC operated with sound, also working semaphores and hopefully a working level crossing. It is due to debut at Glasgow in February 2016 so we had better get a move on.

Cheers   

George 

• Like 6

Evening George, Glad to hear you up and running again with another masterpiece, I cant get to Glasgow but I guess it will be around the Midlands very soon after, if not before.

What size are you going for?

Hello

Andrew, flattery will get you every-where. It should be at Warley in the same year and Stafford the next.  I will attempt a crude track plan sometime but it is not one of my strong points on a PC.

Cheers

Geprge

Hello

Andrew, flattery will get you every-where. It should be at Warley in the same year and Stafford the next.  I will attempt a crude track plan sometime but it is not one of my strong points on a PC.

Cheers

Geprge

Changed your name as well I see, ahhahhahah.

Hello

Well spotted by the man from Bakewell. Bonus point if you know the name of the book.  The size by the way is 23ft by 2ft end to end with sector plates in the fiddle yard. 15 feet scenically.

Cheers

George

............................  I will attempt a crude track plan sometime but it is not one of my strong points on a PC.

Cheers

Geprge

George,

You could always sketch it out and upload a scan or photo?

Rgds

Hello

Well done. Not only a great detective story but also an outstanding piece of English Literature. As far as I was concerned it was a no-brainer as a name for the layout. On the sketch of the fictitious area in the book the two locations are not very far apart. I hope the layout turns out as good.

Cheers

George 

• Like 1

Hello

The first two base boards have now been built which will enable us to lay the track on them over the Christmas period. Also a start has been made on some of the buildings on the layout ready for installation at a later date. The other boards will be done in the new year when the master carpenter returns from his winter holiday.

Cheers

George

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

A little update. While my colleague Mr Nobby is off sunning himself in the US of A over the Christmas period I have been busying myself, filling my empty days, by laying the track on the first two boards. All the point work is on these boards which makes life a bit easier. One of the reason for the change of name is that I put a rail served grain terminal into goods yard area. Middle Drove only had a single siding and a goods shed and I wanted to add something for operational interest both for the viewer but also the operators. The three main buildings for this are now complete but still have to be painted and weathered. They are based on a mix of the sites at North Elmham on the Dereham to Fakenham line which were demolished in 1990 and the still extant but no longer rail connected location at Kennett between Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds. These buildings have been scratch-built in low relief and will fit against the backscene. Also there will be three grain bins as well. These are Walthers kits which though American are identical to the ones scattered across East Anglia. I will provide a few pictures and a plan in a week or so when I return from my holiday in the sun.

Cheers

George   

• 4 weeks later...

The master carpenter (me) visited George on Sunday to wire up 2 of the 3 scenic boards.

Work has progressed, George has laid track, built the buildings seen in the photos and platforms.

I now have to start on the station building, goods shed and pub!

post-7045-0-71666800-1422375910_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-14426700-1422375938_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-58805300-1422375961_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-56656300-1422375982_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-30108200-1422376005_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hello

I am now carrying building the signal box which is a Wills kit and perfect for the line as the kit is based on the one at Wisbech East. The only alteration for this one is to put brickwork in the right rear corner which supported the chimney. I am fitting out the interior at the moment which is fairly time consuming but worth it in the end. I have used the new Ration plastic interior kit which has replaced the old Wills white metal version. About time as the castings were well past their sell by date.  After this is done I will paint and weather the platforms and paint the track now that the power feed are all soldered in place. There are another three boards to build but these first two contain all the pointwork and most of the structures so by doing these first we shall break the back of the work. As for bookings Andy we have eight for it at the momen stretching up to 2019, the first one being Glasgow next February so we have a target to aim for. All I have to do is live long enough to do the shows.

Cheers

George

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

The signal box is now finished apart from weathering, the track is all painted and the back-scene boards, front fascias and the end board to the fiddle yard are now fitted. Also the first of three grain storage bins has been built. When we return from Glasgow we will hopefully get the points working and the power connections fitted to the back of the board so that we can make sure it all works OK before carrying on with the scenic work. Talking of Glasgow reminds me that I forgot to reply to Andy's query about shows. Up to yet it has eight bookings and debuts at Glasgow next year. Will post a few more photos the next time John comes over.

Cheers

George 

• RMweb Gold

I like this layout, same area and era as my own layout. You could have a few blue diesels but there are not many blue pre TOPS loco's suitable for east Anglia available off the shelf

I've just noticed the Derby lightweight is blue!

Edited by russ p

• 1 month later...