Fenchurch St Peter

George Woodcock

Hello

Took delivery of eight new Bachmann 21 ton grain hoppers yesterday which are now sitting on the layout ready to be renumbered and weathered at some point in the future. I have done some more ballasting since John took the pictures but as we have to do some more wiring under the layout I haven't fixed all the buildings in place so they don't get damaged while this work is going on. Also as John said he has to complete the building of the station house, goods shed and pub, plus the remaining three baseboards, one scenic and two fiddle boards.. But we are getting there, slowly but surely. Also the lady who paints the clouds has arrived today so hopefully the sky should become it more real soon.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

Hello

If it worked for Sepp Blatter it can work for me Pete.

Cheers

George

• 1 month later...

Hello

As a break from building the layout I have been working on the rolling stock. As can be seen in the photos I have re-numbered and weathered the Bachmann 20T grain wagons and the BRT grain wagons. Also I have been updating and altering an Airfix LMS brake van that I was given as well as a limited edition Bachmann 12T van that also was passed on to me.  I have also dealt with the two Derby lightweights by fitting in passengers and a driver, fitting the buffer beam detail and fitting DC kits corridor connection to hide the gap between the vehicles caused by the long buffers they were fitted with. The blue one has also bee re-numbered and new destination boards fitted. I have done the same with the other green 31 and am now in the process of re-painting another green into BR Blue as this period of the late 60s was a period of transition for liveries. We shall run the Derby Lightweights in half and half livery from time to time. The final thing to fit is a lamp on the rear of the unit as they did not have rear lights on them. This means that they will always be running in the same direction. I shan't weather them till I have done the other two units,(a 101 and a 105), and a Class 37 and a Class 24 as well as building a Parkside LNER long CCT.

Cheers

George

The lady who paints the clouds is to be congratulated. Reminds me of how you can get sunburnt and frozen to death on the same day in fenland when the wind is in the east.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi George

Your nice signal box, would the framework be blue? Most ER signal boxes had green framework, LNER loco green is quite a close colour. http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/e/wroxham.php

Hi George

http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_4_LNER

Towards the bottom of this page where the colours of BR (ER) stations and other buildings are discussed there is short paragraph.

There is a suggestion that some signal boxes in the March area were painetd in cream & blue in BR days, but I have no confirmation of this other than mention of a piece of cine film showing the colours. Does anyone know any more?

Yours

With humble face on

Clive

Hello

The cloud lady is Petra, my younger son's girlfriend, who flies into the country to do my skies for me among other things. I just gave her a couple of photos of those big Fenland skies and left her to it.  She is in the Caribbean at the moment but I am sure she will be thrilled to know that people like her efforts.

Clive you have nothing to be humble about; your knowledge of railways, particularly of the era I am modelling, is far greater than mine.

Cheers

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi George.

Loving the layout. Nice to see East Anglia and one of its old lines so well represented. Great work on the buildings and scenery. It’s all coming together nicely.

Some excellent scratch building too. Is the lineside hut by the gain store scratch built?

The only thing I would say though (sorry me being picky) is that the level crossing gates are the wrong way round, the target/bullseye should be facing road traffic and the locking bolts should be on the inside. Still is an excellent layout!!

Can’t wait to see more photos.

Scott

Hello Scott

I don't know about the locking bolts but the targets are definitely correct for Middle Drove which is the station the layout is based on. I have spent a lot of time over the last three years looking at as many available pictures I can find as well as my main info source on the TVP DVD 'Branch Lines  Across East Anglia. You are not the first to mention it and I doubt you will be the last  The other curious thing about the gates is that, as far as I know, they were the only ones on the branch that had six panels. Even the other ones on double tracks had five. It just meant I had to use two Wills kits to make them. If you want to see a picture of the original gates look at the Andrew Ingram photos on the Bramley Line Website and there is a picture there of a Cl31 passing through the crossing.  Anyway glad you like the layout and I hope you come to see it sometime if I ever get it finished. It will be at Peterborough next year which is fairly close to you and Bury St Edmunds the following year. Thanks for the support.

Cheers

George                                            

Hello Scott

I don't know about the locking bolts but the targets are definitely correct for Middle Drove which is the station the layout is based on. I have spent a lot of time over the last three years looking at as many available pictures I can find as well as my main info source on the TVP DVD 'Branch Lines  Across East Anglia. You are not the first to mention it and I doubt you will be the last  The other curious thing about the gates is that, as far as I know, they were the only ones on the branch that had six panels. Even the other ones on double tracks had five. It just meant I had to use two Wills kits to make them. If you want to see a picture of the original gates look at the Andrew Ingram photos on the Bramley Line Website and there is a picture there of a Cl31 passing through the crossing.  Anyway glad you like the layout and I hope you come to see it sometime if I ever get it finished. It will be at Peterborough next year which is fairly close to you and Bury St Edmunds the following year. Thanks for the support.

Cheers

George                                            

Apologies George,

I have never seen level crossing gates that way round before. Look forward to seeing the layout. (shifts allowing).

Cheers

Scott

Hello

No need for apologies Scott, I am just flattered when people take an interest in my humble little projects and all suggestions are always valued. Hopefully in the next week or so we should start to make more progress with Fenchurch when holidays and such-like are out of the way. Take care

Cheers

George

• 3 weeks later...

With the layout due to be photographed in October by a well known model railway magazine, it is time to stop lazing around in holiday season and get back to working on the layout. Along with George's jobs I still have to make a control panel, build another scenic board and construct the station building, good shed and pub ( not a lot to do then!!)

Anyway a start was made over the weekend and the panel was constructed.

post-7045-0-89023000-1441143868_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-92398400-1441143896_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello

So am I Mick. Rolling stock is nearly all done now, just another couple of units to detail. renumber etc. We hope to start on the third board in a couple of weeks time. Should all be done in time for Glasgow next year. Love the control panel John, very sexy.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

Hi John and Mr W

I still have a part built Wickhams DMU you can have. What says "East Anglia" more than a Wickhams DMU?

I have a few suggestions, but they're not railway related and most definitely not PC..................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi John and Mr W

I still have a part built Wickhams DMU you can have. What says "East Anglia" more than a Wickhams DMU?

I have a few suggestions, but they're not railway related and most definitely not PC..................

Cheers,

Mick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVWo2dyg8U

• RMweb Premium

Hi George

Your nice signal box, would the framework be blue? Most ER signal boxes had green framework, LNER loco green is quite a close colour. http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/e/wroxham.php

Hi George

Found one, well David did with his camera http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-3rd-september/?p=2007437

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

John and I finished the construction of the final scenic board for Fenchurch at his house at !900 tonight. It is now at my house ready to be attached  to the rest of the layout and then start work on the scenic side of it. This board features a bridge crossing the Middle Drain which after 50 years is still in situ and is used as a farm crossing nowadays. The landscape is also mainly rough grass and scrub compared to the arable land on the rest of the layout. At least that is how we hope it will turn out.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Track tested today and no short circuits ( hooray )

Some foliage added to the new board. Now final ballasting can take place.post-7045-0-56728800-1444579745_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-12524700-1444579774_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-52469000-1444579805_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-48953600-1444579853_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-55776800-1444579883_thumb.jpeg

Track tested today and no short circuits ( hooray )

Some foliage added to the new board. Now final ballasting can take place.post-7045-0-56728800-1444579745_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-12524700-1444579774_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-52469000-1444579805_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-48953600-1444579853_thumb.jpeg

post-7045-0-55776800-1444579883_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7