Fenchurch St Peter

George Woodcock

Great layout George, really enjoyed the article in Railway Modeller. I was always a big fan of Bedlam Heath and I am looking forward to seeing this layout in the flesh sometime (glad you've got another goods yard that receives consignments of fertiliser in 12T vans!)

Hello

Glad you like it. Towcester also has fertilizer delivered in 12T vans. A line from a favourite old song is coming back to haunt me, 'you're in a rut, you gotta get out of , out of it, out of it'

Cheers

George 

The advantage for Fenchurch St Peter of course being that you will be able to include pre-nationalisations designs of 12T vans as these lasted until circa 1971 - looking at your photos in the magazines though they are seem to be BR designs. Are you planning on adding some GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR 12T van designs in due course?

After Rail Scotland, have you got any other exhibitions lined up?

Hello

There are some ex LNER and LMS vans on the layout but they weren't built until after the RM photo shoot. After Glasgow the layout is due to appear at Shenfield (Essex) in September, Peterborough in October, High Wycombe and the Warley NEC in November this year. Next year it will be at Stafford in February, Bury St Edmunds in September, and Spalding in November next year  and on into the future. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

George

What parcel stock are you running on the layout? On the basis of the article in Railway Modeller there appears to be an ex LNER Thompson BG Full Brake in Crimson livery. What else do you have? Do you have any parcel stock in blue? Some may just have received blue paint by 1967 I suppose.

Hello

There is just the one mail train featured on Fenchurch which is a Kings Lynn to Peterborough working. This is shown on the TVP video that the layout is so heavily based on. The train has two bogie full brakes one of which is a Thompson one. Between them is a CCT type van which is not very clear. Originally it was going to be a SR van but I changed my mind and built a Parkside ex LNER CCT in a dirty blue livery. Dirt seemed to be the standard livery on much parcels stock at that time and indeed for many years afterwards.  

Cheers

George

Hello

There is just the one mail train featured on Fenchurch which is a Kings Lynn to Peterborough working. This is shown on the TVP video that the layout is so heavily based on. The train has two bogie full brakes one of which is a Thompson one. Between them is a CCT type van which is not very clear. Originally it was going to be a SR van but I changed my mind and built a Parkside ex LNER CCT in a dirty blue livery. Dirt seemed to be the standard livery on much parcels stock at that time and indeed for many years afterwards.  

Cheers

George

Was the King's Lynn to Peterborough parcel working a daily or weekly service? Do you have Working Timetable for the area for this era?

Hello

There are some ex LNER and LMS vans on the layout but they weren't built until after the RM photo shoot. After Glasgow the layout is due to appear at Shenfield (Essex) in September, Peterborough in October, High Wycombe and the Warley NEC in November this year. Next year it will be at Stafford in February, Bury St Edmunds in September, and Spalding in November next year  and on into the future. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

George

There are plenty of ex SR vans on the TVP DVD (mostly plywood it seemed) so would be great if you can add a couple of these to the layout in time.

Hello

The mail train was a daily working though not always routed via Wisbech, seemed to depend on the signalman. After last minute fine tuning by Kevin Dickerson of Coastal DCC Fenchurch is now all ready for it's long journey to Glasgow on Thursday. Fingers crossed it will be OK there.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

Hello

The mail train was a daily working though not always routed via Wisbech, seemed to depend on the signalman. After last minute fine tuning by Kevin Dickerson of Coastal DCC Fenchurch is now all ready for it's long journey to Glasgow on Thursday. Fingers crossed it will be OK there.

Cheers

George

Fine tuning?

I thought only two wires were needed for DCC - or did Nobby manage to get them wrong way round?

Good luck with the first show.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello

Simple answer Mick is yes, and not just two. Mind you this was the DC bit of the layout.

Cheers

George

Hello

Now, now.......... See you Thursday afternoon my little Cherry Pie.

Cheers

George

Hello

Fenchurch St Peter is now safely back from it's trip to Glasgow. Thank-you to Ian Portious and the crew of AMRSS for inviting us. The layout behaved itself well and was very well received with a lot of kind comments from visitors. It makes it all worthwhile and that the hard work was not in vain. Time for a long rest now.  

Cheers

George

A few photos from Model Rail Scotland where our layout held its debut ( as well as being layout of the Month in this months Railway Modeller ).

The layout behaved impeccably, which is more than can be said for the operating team...............

post-7045-0-57959100-1456844689_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-66807800-1456844702_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-95314500-1456844716_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-43781000-1456844726_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-87317100-1456844734_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-56646400-1456844743_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Hello

Nice pictures John, thank-you for your care and devotion to me over the weekend.

Cheers

George

Cracking wee layout and had plenty admirers over the weekend, All the operators were well behaved when i saw you all both at the show and in the hotel.

Bruce

Edited by bruced2
  • Like 1

A few photos from Model Rail Scotland where our layout held its debut ( as well as being layout of the Month in this months Railway Modeller ).

The layout behaved impeccably, which is more than can be said for the operating team...............

Very nice photos.

George - what is the make and model of the flat bed lorry with the green cab in the goods yard?

Do you have any Cravens DMUs in your fleet?

Hello

The truck is a Bedford TK which was originally in Tennants Brewery livery with a load of beer kegs. Can't remember who produced it, probably Oxford or Corgibut it was a while ago as I was given it a couple of years ago. I removed all the Tennants decals, repainted the bed of the body, fitted some wing mirrors and rear mudflaps. Ideal vehicle that would be used in the 1960s for delivering fertilizer and feedstuffs to local farms. Yes we do have a Cravens  unit on Fenchurch as well as a Metro Cam and two Derby Lightweights, one in green and one in blue, which we split sometimes to have a green and blue version just as they were on the Wisbech branch at this time.

Cheers

George