Sheepcroft EM - 3 link waffling

lapford34102

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu just came across this thread, great layout. I'm diving into the world of EM myself and can't wait to get started, just waiting on an order from C&L which will hopefully be here this week or next, scary stuff though :)

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers, Paul

Hi,

Thanks to all who've commented on or "clicked" my efforts, appreciated.

Bill, regards the groundwork there's not much skill or artifice in what I've done. The embankment is Woodland scenic's foliage

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/GCFoliage

It's basically their ground scatter on a fine mesh. The structure of the embankment is traditional card formers with

paper pva'd over it. When dry it was painted a suitable colour, in my case a grey/brown sludge mixed from matchpots.

When that's dry the foliage net is glued on using pva. I tear it into random shapes and simply stick down. I usually overlap a couple of layers to give a bit of depth. The "bushes" are

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/TRFine-LeafFoliage

Good but a tad expensive but beats covering yourself in cheap hairspray

I've also used static grass along the base of the bank and in random bits, applied with my puffer bottle which works to a certain extent or applied by hand into pva puddles I've mixed feelings about static grass mainly because a lot of the easily available ones look to garish to me. The one I've used looks quite orange in certain light. If I find something more to my liking I might well re-cover.

Hope this helps but please say if this doesn't make sense.

Paul, handbuilt track ain't rocket science but it can be challenging. There's plenty of people on here well qualified to give you advice so if you haven't got anyone handy use them. My first 2 or 3 "V"s were deemed *&%%$£# and got scrapped so I needed to stick with it, glad I did.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've also used static grass along the base of the bank and in random bits, applied with my puffer bottle which works to a certain extent or applied by hand into pva puddles I've mixed feelings about static grass mainly because a lot of the easily available ones look to garish to me. The one I've used looks quite orange in certain light. If I find something more to my liking I might well re-cover.

The European brands seem to me as you say garish and Woodlands Scenics a bit dull, the best colour range I've found is from Greenscene.

Layout looks good, small layouts can look cramped and cluttered but you've managed to get it just right.

Thanks for the detailed info on your scenics Stu - you use pretty much the same as I do and although the Woodland Scenics can sometimes be expensive they can be quite versatile depending on your requirements.

Will continue to watch your progress.

Bill.

Thanks for the info Paul and I agree that given a small space there's always the temptation to use every square inch.
I've decided I'm not that happy with the centre foreground and been having a think so I may decide to change what I was going to do.
Bill, we have a local Hobbycraft who keep a reasonable if pricey range of Woodland so it's an easy choice for me.

I was going to write a tad more earlier but domestic duties called...... Sheepcroft or to be more accurate Sheepcroft Sidings is an actual location. They were freight sidings at the end of the Easton branch. Sadly apart from the name and the freight only bit there the similarity ends so if anyone asks I'll have to say (very) loosely based on. Largest loco's to get there were Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2's so maybe that's thought for the future.

Cheers
Stu

Sheepcroft-29.jpg.b1a9a6029282ef0c79304a683c36672f.jpg

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Indeed! Nice work!

I agree completely with my Welsh colleague, in fact I would say that that is some of the best track/ballast/weeds I've seen in a long time.

Keep up the good work.

EM, 'achievable excellence' indeed.

Dave Franks

Thanks to all who have commented or tagged, it's appreciated :-)

in fact I would say that that is some of the best track/ballast/weeds I've seen in a long time.

Not sure it's that good but thanks all the same for the comment. Someone looking at the layout described me as an artist. I thought that out of politeness he was leaving out the usual epithet that precedes artist. It did make me pause to think though, 20 years too late being the main one........... :-(

I mentioned that I was thinking of making some scenic additions and got an emphatic no, it's fine as it is, any changes might be a backward step. I'll accept that (easy way out) but I do need to get a few more bits of dedicated stock and retire the retreads.

A couple more pics - my own this time.........

Stu

Sheepcroft-34.jpg.2814e4239f9363b7796622475d6c0c9b.jpg

Sheepcroft-35.jpg.25c1190844ed32604f63b0f28a8587ab.jpg

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos twice
  • Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is near Whitstable on Saturday and the weathers not beach friendly there's a show here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Kent-Model-Railway-Society-Whitstable/189851787724319

Sheepcroft will be there at it's first fully public outing which could be very interesting......

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Just in case anyone is near Whitstable on Saturday and the weathers not beach friendly there's a show here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Kent-Model-Railway-Society-Whitstable/189851787724319

Sheepcroft will be there at it's first fully public outing which could be very interesting......

Cheers

Stu

It will be fine Stu, at least myself or DOMH won´t be there to trade insults!

Mike.

In stark contrast to today's weather it was 30 C in the shade on Saturday and the show was surprisingly busy. Things went pretty well but there were a couple of glitches. Had some buffer locking with the Hymek which meant some shunting had to be done at dead slow. Having a think about things wondered about the buffers as I remembered that on EM Gauge 70's http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/one Hymek owner had clearly shortened or replaced the buffers. Will look into this. The sound Crompton started behaving bizarrely by stalling and then emitting strange squeaks from the speaker when nudged. No idea why though a pickup wire had become detached somewhere along the line though I can't really fsthom any possible connection. We were inclined to blame the heat.

All in all though a fun day and got some good comments though was rather baffled by the actions of a couple of people. One stood about 4' from the layout, never said a word to us but was scribbling on a notepad... The other was a gent clad in a seriously heavyweight sweater (!) who suddenly appeared, enquired "where are the sheep ?" and disappeared off.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by lapford34102

• 7 months later...

A few additional toys for Sheepcroft prior to it's Derby appearance which is where a conversation (of sorts...) over my other layout started the whole thing off.

A few new bits of stock including a couple of 16 ton minerals primarily because Mr Tailby rarely fails to comment on their absence. To overcome the old chestnut
of loaded/empty coal wagons going in and they're not exactly empty

P4110079.JPG.26aa10816051855877d72c1ac5eae193.JPG

A couple of extra locos to go with the existing Hymek and Brush Type 2. Having a baby Warship and Derby Type 2 will give the layout (hopefully) a definite WR early 70's feel.
Both were picked up "cheap". The unboxed Sulzer ridiculously so at Donny and has had the chassis modded along with new exhaust and repaint. The Baby Warship, renumbered, is yet another example of Dapols strange interpretation of Rail Blue and will probably go in the paint stripper in the not to distant future. It's one model that needs a decent EM conversion kit as pulling the half axles out doesn't fill me with confidence.
Both have had their headcodes replaced and reglazed.
P4110074.JPG.4b64e81d64e83dea2715ad8ed99bff78.JPG

P4110077.JPG.f5f4c292d0206c3fe58848a10c230506.JPG
Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The pulling out of the NBL's wheels isn't to onerous Stu, the problem is the amount of inner edge of the sideframe that has to be removed, a fair chunk if the wheels are used as is.

My second one had the wheels turned down to 2.5 mm thickness to preserve the spoke detail, but even that when pulled out needed a lesser amount removing.

I'm wondering if the Dapol frames are made too narrow to avoid them catching platform edges etc on train set curves?

Mike.

Hi Stu, looks a nice little project I followed it over on DEMU

As someone who recently joined the EMGS and is slowly making the transition I have to say the track especially is a big improvement and that was one my main reasosns for making the switch.

Cheers,