Sheepcroft EM - 3 link waffling

lapford34102

• 10 months later...

Saw this amazing little layout yesterday at the Warley/NEC show. Got me inspired to carry on with my slightly larger layout after a long time of inactivity. 

I like the overall standard of finish, the colouring and weathering. It just looks so real. Just goes to show what can be achieved in a small space. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Had a good show at Tonbridge last weekend in spite of the weather. I've now got a green Class 08 to with the blue one as I rather like them. It was converted using the Gibson kit and took a lot less time than my first attempt.

And this time there are some pictures instead of me just talking about it so thanks Tim.

Both have sound, Hornby TTS in the blue, Loksound micro in the green. It's an interesting comparison and to be honest  the Hornby one is a bargain in spite of it's well known limitations and pain to set the running up. I've been looking for a second Hornby one but asking around they're like Unicorn droppings as it appears they've all been bought up by Dapol 7mm 08 owners.

179277653_Class08-1.JPG.812d98097e89e094e0ba4f4025cf4360.JPG

29906734_Class08-2.JPG.74a0cb1558073bce89a20ca159515372.JPG

Sadly the wagons aren't mine. They're Adam's who brought some along to run so thank you. They're both amazing bits of work, both above and below the solebar and way better than anything I've done. His RMweb thread is here and definitely worth a look.

Plus thanks to everyone else who stopped by at Tonbridge for a chat.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Restoring photos
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, We had a really good time at Doncaster and it was really good to talk to so many people after all this time. Our  "It's been two long years ...." sign seem to go down well and it was a bit of a Get out of jail free card when things went a bit wobbly in spite of  a deral of pre-show testing; intermittent short finally traced to a wagon underframe, dodgy wheelset and an 08 that gave up Sun PM plus the inevitable 3 link farces though people were (almost!) universally understanding.

Tim and I both spent rather more than we probably intended and he finally got me to have another look at the lighting rig so there will be some changes there.

Finally if anyone took any pics please put them on, it appears we were either too busy or too cream crackered to do it ourselves.

Thanks

Stu

• Like 6

Part of the charm of Sheepcroft is the difficulties with the three links - it opens up opportunities for the exhibitors and the visitors to talk.

It also slows the whole shunting experience down to walking pace, if you had any other form of coupling the layout would operate at a different pace and then perhaps the interface with visitors would lessen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Part of the charm of Sheepcroft is the difficulties with the three links - it opens up opportunities for the exhibitors and the visitors to talk.

It also slows the whole shunting experience down to walking pace, if you had any other form of coupling the layout would operate at a different pace and then perhaps the interface with visitors would lessen.

As a fellow 3 link masochist, I know exactly what you mean. Like Stu, I had to get used to them again when I exhibited for the first time in ages late last year.

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2022 at 11:08, lapford34102 said:

Finally if anyone took any pics please put them on, it appears we were either too busy or too cream crackered to do it ourselves.

Your command is my wish . . .

1045553333_220215SheepcroftDoncasterSat.jpeg.f2051080d8e9c795876002c0b3804b7c.jpeg

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Reload photo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A few photo's from the Longfield show on Sunday, I had the pleasure of being a "guest" operator for the day 😉 A very fine layout to operate/play, those Hornby OAA's look mighty good too. 

DSCF4261.jpg.d6fbb4e1cb1da04d300d8f52b1fa81b0.jpg

DSCF4284.jpg.3c3dcc44ccb06ddfdce9e3ed1bd8c942.jpg

DSCF4280.jpg.9ae68cae53e0176da98daf58ec561e89.jpg

DSCF4306.jpg.534c79387098673f877bb2ebcec07f29.jpg

DSCF4309.jpg.cf3311780b2a66192b375dcda8664b59.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks to Steve for the photo's and for the help on Sunday plus thanks to Bob for helping Saturday and Tim for both days. Meant I could I drink more Tea and get a bit Managerial (!) over the weekend. There's was quite a bit to see so the extra operator gave everyone a bit more time.

The layout worked well apart from some odd behaviour on the Saturday with loco's sound turning off by itself and requiring selecting again. As it wasn't just one loco clearly a control issue though nothing obvious. Tim was suspicious of the Multimaus's  base unit to controller cable so Sunday before opening spoke to Kevin of Coastal DCC. Didn't have any spares but offered to make up a new from scratch which he duly did plus he tested the old one which did have an intermittent fault. So great service and problem solved. Was a bit concerned about the LWB A/Braked stock but they worked fine.

161188427_OpenAB6.jpg.db95f1408d726f7c0b942c287556c4c7.jpg

Steve's great photo's have finally shamed me into restoring all those that had been lost so there's at least some nod toward how the layout's progress over the years it's been around.

One comment I've had a few times is about the additional siding I've put in and I've realised it's hardly got a mention. It was a gamble never having done anything like it before but the added siding, short as it is, allows for a brake van or a couple of 10ft WB wagons to be tucked away. The plan for the point was cobbled together using a Templot template as the basis, built off board and then put in place. The photo's show the process and one ballasted and weathered doesn't look that obvious.

626214305_Wye1.jpg.d1670a047f0f3f44ade3d5572042369f.jpg

1907720189_Wye2.jpg.ae351946f83af83deeadd1b418e4fb41.jpg

2019515067_Wye3.jpg.e9befc0bef59223b867894290e80c8ab.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stu

• Like 11

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to see this layout at EMGS Summer exhibition having previously read through the building and development and hoped to see it eventually, ideal for the EMGS to show that you don't need masses of space to build something worth while. It was running really well the times I watched and it is really effective looking very believable and as good, or better, than the photos in real life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jollysmart said:

it is really effective looking very believable and as good, or better, than the photos in real life.

WOW!  Thanks for that. It was a looong way to go for a show but absolutely worth it and we had a great time at our first Expo. Got to see some layouts we'd probably never get to see down here and hopefully got Sheepcroft to some new viewers. Was a good atmosphere and had some entertaining chats with visitors. Thanks to Tim who did more than his fair share of operating plus Dave T who did a stint on Sunday. We did have the odd gremlin but nothing too bad so pleased with how things went.  Peter Rigby loaned us sound equipped  26 and 27 which made a change  and fitted in well. Tim took a load of photos so will put them up but to be going on with.

ExpoNorth1.jpg.ebe544d8ce8aab4028583272b12cd8e8.jpg

So thanks to everyone who stopped by and had a chat over the weekend.

Stu

• Like 13