Hello all,

Rather than clog up my layout thread i thought i'd start a workbench one to show my disasters, sorry attempts at modelling loco's and stock.

First onto the bench is this Bachmann GUV.

post-6774-0-93077800-1417988366_thumb.jpg

A nice model but the first thing i noticed when placed on the track is how high the chassis sits above the bogies, I wanted to lower it so i removed both bogies and filed about 2mm off the centre section that sits under the coach.

It hasn't made a huge difference but looks better in my opinion, I may remove more yet but don't want the wheels to foul the underframe.

Original gap.

post-6774-0-02331700-1417988689_thumb.jpg

File the bogie mounting down.

post-6774-0-24901600-1417988672_thumb.jpg

Smaller gap.

post-6774-0-64827400-1417988681_thumb.jpg

Once happy with the bogies i removed the body and cut off all the retaining clips then filed everything flat.

Now you ask why am i doing this? well I'm going to attempt to build a pair of barrier wagons used by EPS for hauling Eurostars. 

post-6774-0-55982300-1417989764.png

post-6774-0-82195000-1417988705_thumb.jpg

Now where did i put those Sharfenberg couplings?

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been plodding along this week doing a bit here and there.

Whilst waiting for plasticard etc to arrive i thought i'd attack one of the Eurostar power cars and cut the nose so the doors are in the open position for the Sharfenberg.

First up i drilled a series of holes on the door outline.

post-6774-0-62161500-1419014761_thumb.jpg

Once i'd cut the main section out i filed the opening to a reasonable shape.

post-6774-0-01101400-1419014767_thumb.jpg

I then filed the door edges down to a thinner thickness and fitted them in the recess.

post-6774-0-21742600-1419014772_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-37714200-1419014785.png

If anyone has any photo's of a Eurostar coupled to a match wagon and could post it i'd be really grateful, I'm finding it very difficult at the moment to find any pictures of of the two together.

Cheers

Graham. 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good so far very interested to see how you go about it as I've got a spare powercar. Anyhoo Hornby International (HC8040) set of 4 NEM clip in couplings would work on GUV and I'm sure I've seen in a past Modelrail a few years ago someone fitting complete working units to a Bachmann Voyager. Just cant remember the make. I wanna say KATO but I think they only did N guage?.

• Like 1

Looking good so far very interested to see how you go about it as I've got a spare powercar. Anyhoo Hornby International (HC8040) set of 4 NEM clip in couplings would work on GUV and I'm sure I've seen in a past Modelrail a few years ago someone fitting complete working units to a Bachmann Voyager. Just cant remember the make. I wanna say KATO but I think they only did N guage?.

Thanks TRAILRAGE, As it happens i was looking at those Hornby Sharfenberg's a few weeks back but i can't seem to find a supplier who stocks them either in the UK or Abroad.

Graham.

Edited by shanks522

• Tempfix

Hello

I think I read somewhere that the Hornby International coupling had been discontinued, but there is a company called Veit that make a Scharfenberg style coupling. Saw them in Germany early last year. They seem to be made for HOe scale trains, but this is 1:87 so would be fine in OO. They seem to represent the mechanical part of the coupling without the electrical gubbins that hangs below, but I'm not sure barrier wagons have this anyway.

Can be found online in packs of 1 pair or 5. Here for example: http://www.modellbahnshop.com/index.php?cat=c12976_Scharfenbergkupplungen.html

You might need to find someone who speaks German though. Failing that, the part numbers are there - it might be worth asking Gaugemaster if they could get some in. They seem to be able to get hold of most German items.

Hope this helps.

Rich

• Like 1

Looking good! I thought about doing a couple and a full Eurostar set, but I couldn't be bothered as I don't have a 24ft minimum layout run! :no:

IIRC they run with a barrier in each end, so you may have to do two, or just have an open coupling on the rear as per your pic.

Will you be making a 20 coach Eurostar to accompany it? Well...you could drag a half set of 10, that's happened before! :P

Looking forward to more,

Jack.

• Like 2

Hi Jack,

As much as i'd like a full rake its not going to happen, (well not in 00 anyway!)   

Your right the match wagons do normally run in pairs although i have found a few pics of just one barrier with two 37's.

I've got another Bachmann GUV on the bench so there will be two wagons eventually, The plan is to have match wagon- 37 - 37 - matchwagon then a six vehicle Eurostar, That should fit in my fiddle yard.

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Anthony, 

To be honest i haven't, I will do when i restart work on it though.

cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham, i have a few 92's i would like to convert and have wounder how to convert these and what chassis would fit so it had a good bit of weight in it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting project, if its any help, I seem to remember an article in ModelRail way back when it was a supplement in Rail magazine about these wagons, if you can get hold of an old copy!

• Like 1

Hello all,

Work on the Eurostar and the barrier wagon has been put to one side for the moment so i can concentrate on the depot building for the layout.

I started this a few weeks ago and haven't made massive progress but there's no rush is there.

Started off with some rough drawings and a few pictures of Stewarts Lane depot for inspiration, i then produced some better scale drawings and created this.

post-6774-0-54425300-1427056881_thumb.jpg

In situ on the depot.

post-6774-0-50996000-1427056889_thumb.jpg

next job i tackled was to install some brickwork along the lower section of the building, this was done using Will's flexible brickwork which being thin can be doubled up to give a brick finish on both sides.

post-6774-0-92094200-1427056919_thumb.jpg

And then today i started work on an opening door.

I've done a little research and after viewing some youtube video's i found quite a clever way of replicating a roller shutter door, basically thin strips of plasticard glued individually onto a ribbon which is then attached to a shaft and then a motor, I've spent a couple of weeks trying different idea's for the motor using pulleys,  metal gears and even Lego but they were quite large and took up valuable space inside the building so i needed a less complicated way.

I had a little brain wave after repairing a venetian blind and it struck me that the adjuster that tilts the blind would make a perfect 90' turn and also fit the rod straight into it, I sourced one on Ebay and today fitted it loosely to the depot, once the shaft and roller door were attached i needed a motor so i fixed another shaft running along the side of the building and used a redundant motor from a Hornby Merchant navy to power it.

Its a lot of trial and error for me at the moment but so far things are looking good.

post-6774-0-79739600-1427056901_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-32814900-1427056894_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

Interesting project, if its any help, I seem to remember an article in ModelRail way back when it was a supplement in Rail magazine about these wagons, if you can get hold of an old copy!

Thanks,

I vaguely remember the article , might see if i can find it again.

cheers 

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

What a clever yet simple idea!  Very well excecuted... the strange snake-like movement of the shed wall looks very bizarre, as if the shed's trying to walk away, no doubt it will be stiffer when its finished though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a clever yet simple idea!  Very well excecuted... the strange snake-like movement of the shed wall looks very bizarre, as if the shed's trying to walk away, no doubt it will be stiffer when its finished though!

Thanks JDW,

The frame does move a lot at the moment without any cladding, Its gradually getting stronger so hopefully will be indestructible when complete. 

Graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

A nice little parcel arrived a week or so ago containing these little beauty's.

post-6774-0-87271300-1429474663_thumb.jpg

I had them sprayed by someone else and all that i needed to do was simply attach the body's to the chassis's, I then had a think and thought it silly to have two powered engines plus sound decoders so instead i would have a dummy. 

I stupidly assumed it would be a 10 minute job but it turned out to be a 2 hour one! I used an early Bachmann 37 chassis that i had spare and removed the motor and as much weight as possible, once the free running dummy was all reassembled i thought the body would simply slot on top and screw into place but the early chassis has slightly different fixings which meant an hour of cutting and filing till the newer body fitted, once in place they were connected using Bachmann brake pipe couplings into the NEM pockets, i'm toying with the idea of fitting a bass reflex speaker into the dummy loco (37608) and wiring into the powered engine (37601), the only thing that is putting me off is that when the horn is sounded it will be odd coming from both engines, i may do some trials to see how it goes.

Now there both on the layout i've got more enthusiasm to crack on with the match wagons.

post-6774-0-18034900-1429475942_thumb.jpg

In other news the shed is progressing slowly, i've just ran out of Will's asbestos sheeting so once more arrives i can get the cladding complete. 

post-6774-0-06067800-1429476103_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

A suggestion for the dummy Scarfenbergs - provided they can be got as spares - the dummy ones off a Bachmann 57/3......

Ive the Mk3 Genny van on the workbench atm for my 37/6 set

Hi La Grange,

Thats a good idea, To be honest i've done very little on the barrier wagons of late, I must try harder to order the Veit ones mentioned in post 6.

Cheers

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Some very nice work Graham...

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil,

Work on the bench is quite slow at the moment, The depot building has nearly all the cladding fitted and the only other thing i've been doing is de-branding an RFD 47 which is to become 47286 Port Of Liverpool, I've tried a new technique to remove numbers etc by gently rubbing them off with 1200 wet and dry paper, I'm sure i read about it on RMWeb and so far its working ok. 

post-6774-0-42204300-1437335459_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 4