Kirley's Workbench

kirley

Thanks for that tip Colm, I hope to get to Lincoln show on Sunday so I"ll look for Phoenix paints.  I tend to build things as one offs and getting the paint match on a home mix I find tricky!.

Sorry Kirley I see to have hijacked your thread so will stop now!

Mike

Park Royal Coaches completed.

The first one is a IFM kit No. 1399 Suburban.

IMG_4035.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

The rest of the coaches are built from sides from Worsley Works, with Comet under frames, ends and roof.

Another Suburban No.1390 in mid green.

IMG_4040.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

A Suburban in black/golden brown livery No.1401

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

A mainline coach with the circular window plated over.  No. 1421

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

The last one is a mainline coach No.1428

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

So that's the collection, I think five Park Royals is enough for any layout now for the real fun- to run them!

IMG_4055.JPG

• Like 4

Anhydrous Ammonia Wagon Kits

Earlier in this thread I covered the build of the 2 Barrier Wagons for an Anhydrous Ammonia train.

Lately SSM released their Anhydrous Ammonia wagon kits; I got 6 which was the usual number that ran along with the barrier wagons.

IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

I’ve almost completed building the 6 and throughout the build I was constantly surprised at the ingenuity that went into the design of the kit.  It was a simple kit to build mainly because of the thought process that went into the way things came together. 

IMG_4056.JPG

A test run before the final assembly and painting.

IMG_1568.JPG

• Like 4

Worked on the interiors of the Park Royal Coaches. There were two types, Suburban and a smaller number of Mainline coaches. The Suburban's had no toilets but had bench type seat at the door area.  I have tried to replicate both types (with expert help from John M). 

I used Comet seating but found it very tedious to have to cut out that hard plastic.  Would be interested in hearing of recommendations on other coach seating.

Hi Kieran

Ah, seating, the bane of the railcar modeller! I have used  Foremost Models F.150 coach seating strip not sure if still available), which is as you say about the Comet variety, tough and tedious to cut. The Southern Pride individual seats recommended by Colm sound spot on for this sort of project.

For my last 80 Class set, I re-used the Tri-ang Hornby Mk2 donor coach's seat units, cutting away tables with hacksaw cuts and doing a bit of 'cut and shut' with the rest, to get toilets etc lined up. This was actually less hassle than cutting up seating strips and neater, as I find it hard to cut thosee strips precisely and there's a lot less sanding of sawn edges needed.

post-15566-0-52392500-1425890970_thumb.jpg

For the power car I just made the bays up from simple plasticard structures. When painted and seen through windows, it doesn't look too bad.

post-15566-0-15073300-1425890968_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-31461900-1425891451_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-21379300-1425891597_thumb.jpg

...if only, because it's more or less invisible!

Keep this pics coming - inspiration, galore!

Edited by 33lima
  • Like 3

What colour(s) did you paint the interior of your black and tan Park Royals, please?

Ste[hen

I picked up the following information on the interiors,

"the inside walls were painted mid brown with cream or white ceilings, and the upholstery was the then-standard very dark grey (almost black) with a blue fleck through it"

I painted my partitions mid brown and the seats grey and tried to stipple some blue on it.  It didn't look great but seen from a distance through windows it gave a fair representation of the suggested colours. 

ANHYDROUS AMMONIA TANKERS

Completed the tankers at last.  Kept the tanker body and chassis separate until they were painted and decaled (all 38 separate transfers).  Did a test run with the chassis to ensure all was running smoothly and no bogies were catching on the underframe.

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

Added the Tanker bodies.

IMG_4077x.jpg

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

Next task is to run them on the layout, I missed out on the MIR Ammonia Kits so was delighted when SSM brought out this new kit.  I would complement Des on a well through out straight model to build.

Hope to get a video of this rake in action soon.

Edited by kirley
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

W Class Mogul

After seeing Colm Flanagan’s Moguls on his various layouts I wanted one but he warned me the build was not a straight forward one.

In February I took the plunge and picked up a Hornby Class 4P 2-6-4T Fowler locomotive.  I went for this model as I wanted a DCC ready locomotive knowing from Colm that this was the most difficult of all the Hornby Models because of the motor position.

IMG_1531.JPG

I also picked up a Stanier tender body and cut it size and then removed the Tanks on the locomotive.

IMG_4068.JPG

Next I cut out the firebox and added plasticard sides to it.

IMG_4069.JPG

After the boiler was removed I added plasticard footplates leaving gaps for the plastic arms holding the valve gear.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

A piece of 20mm plastic conduit was added to make a new boiler but the bottom third was removed to facilitate the motor.

IMG_4077.JPG

New boiler Mk 2.

IMG_4083.JPG

Detailing was added including some rivet transfers on the Tender.

To get to this stage I had done some rebuilds of the boiler/firebox construction to enable the body of the locomotive fit over the Hornby chassis and was pestering Colm for advice. He pointed out the Cab was too high.  I had glued it back on the original 4P setting so it was a deconstruction and rebuild again bringing the firebox right up to the front cab windows.

IMG_4099.JPG

Finally I’ve got her, No 102, to a stage I’m happy with. 

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

I know it’s not perfect but looking at it from a distance flying along ‘Kirley Junction’ it provides the illusion for me.

IMG_4110.JPG

• Like 7

Travelling Post Office Van

I picked up a JM Design CIE Post Office Van Kit.  John’s kit allows you to make the TPO or a PWD Tool Van.  I went for the TPO.

As usual quality is the first thing you notice about JM Kits and is loaded with instructions and all the parts you need except for paint and decals.

IMG_4104x.jpg

The only way you learn to solder is by practice and while far from perfect it’s a lot better than my earlier attempts. The difficult part for me on this build was the post box covers on the sides.

IMG_4234x.jpg

IMG_4237x.jpg

IMG_4239x.jpg

Ready for cleaning and priming. 

• Like 2

Mmm,you were not wrong; that is not an easy conversion but she looks very good and thanks for putting up the photographs. Just a thought, would a Worsley Works W class fit on the Hornby 4P chassis?

Mike

So.... When are you gonna do one? Go on ya know you want one! :)

G

. Just a thought, would a Worsley Works W class fit on the Hornby 4P chassis?

Mike

I contacted Allen Doherty and sent him a scan of a Hornby 4P chassis for him to test for fit.  He never replied and I know Colm tried the same some years ago with a similar result.

I contacted Allen Doherty and sent him a scan of a Hornby 4P chassis for him to test for fit.  He never replied and I know Colm tried the same some years ago with a similar result.

If you get a reply and it works let us know as that would be awesome, and be a sigh of relief for those scared to make chassises (me :))

If you get a reply and it works let us know as that would be awesome, and be a sigh of relief for those scared to make chassises (me :))

Don't be holding your breath Nelson, I asked Allen Doherty last year and Colm was a long time before that.