Kirley's Workbench

kirley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

North Atlantic Express Coaches

I made a start on three NAE coaches from Worsley Works using Comet underframes.

IMG_4264x.jpg

IMG_4265x.jpg

Many thanks to David Jackson for his help with roof and interior detail information.  So it's interiors next.

• Like 5

AEC Railcar

After doing the Mogul my next big project was an AEC Railcar Set with parts from Worsley Works.

post-12350-0-16832500-1501320383.jpg

The chassis build with power provided by a Black Beetle Motor.

post-12350-0-51684600-1501320409.jpg

For bogies on the second Railcar I used a MJT CCU’s but how to attach a coupling bar?  Again David Jackson came up with a suggestion and I used scrap brass to make it.

post-12350-0-05135100-1501320437_thumb.jpg

The Comet roofs are not wide enough so I cut them down the centre and used a strip of plasticard to fill the gap.  The Railcar ‘End’ was useful to get the right curve on the roof.

post-12350-0-75960200-1501320475_thumb.jpg

I used Isopon underneath to give it some strength.

post-12350-0-14089800-1501320503_thumb.jpg

I used a piece of scrap brass to make a bulkhead behind the Drivers compartment to add some strength to the model.

post-12350-0-72346100-1501320530_thumb.jpg

The bulk of the work on the chassis is complete.

post-12350-0-09879800-1501320573_thumb.jpg

I had built a K15 as an Intermediate Coach last year.

The trickiest part of the build is the Cab fronts and as Allen Doherty only provides the windows section of the front and not the bottom part I was not looking forward to this part. 

Then I discovered No Nonsense Kits made a white metal cab front of the AEC Railcars and also the 10’ bogie sides I thought this was the answer.  As NNK have been taken over by Phoenix Paints I contacted them in March to see if they would provide the parts I needed.  After a long period of time they confirmed they had the moulds for those parts and would do them for me, delight!

However I’m still waiting on them and my patience is running out so that’s why the AEC build is on hold.

Edited by kirley
  • Like 2

Kieran,a lot of work to get to this stage for the railcar,but the chassis is looking great.A note of caution,if you go with the NNK white metal cabs,they are not as wide as the railcar width in the kit. These are the ends I used on my own railcars and they are the width of a normal RTR coach.

NAE Coaches

Interiors for the coaches completed and given a coat of primer along with the roofs.

IMG_4274.JPG

Coach and underframes sprayed with an Etch Primer.

IMG_4277.JPG

Now to apply a bit of colour!

• Like 3

AEC Railcar

The trickiest part of the build is the Cab fronts and as Allen Doherty only provides the windows section of the front and not the bottom part I was not looking forward to this part. 

Then I discovered No Nonsense Kits made a white metal cab front of the AEC Railcars and also the 10’ bogie sides I thought this was the answer.  As NNK have been taken over by Phoenix Paints I contacted them in March to see if they would provide the parts I needed.  After a long period of time they confirmed they had the moulds for those parts and would do them for me, delight!

However I’m still waiting on them and my patience is running out so that’s why the AEC build is on hold.

Hi Kieran

There are a number of pitfalls in using the NNK/MTK AEC railcar driving cab ends and bogie castings in combination with the Worsley Works parts.

I built a CIE AEC railcar set several years ago, the NNK/MTK cab ends are based on CIEs 1970 push-pull driving car conversions,( with a lot of metal to be removed for the railcar version) the end castings are not asymmetrical resulting in a railcar with a somewhat squinty eyed look and the bogie sideframes are for a 9'6" rather than the correct 10' wheelbase.

I ended up using the Worsley Works ends, using the cab ends with the finger profile for the lower section & plenty of solder and filler to form the cab ends. I formed the roofs using balsa with an overlay of glider tissue rather than attempting to modify a Comet or MJT roof extrusion.

The railcars are powered by a Black-Beetle motor bogie with MJT bogies on the trailer. I will probably end up preparing a set of bogie sideframes with the correct wheelbase at some stage in the future

Thanks John, I did not realise the cab ends were based on the pull-push conversions and I had emphasised to Chris the bogies I was after were 10'. He was spinning them yesterday to meet my order.  Only the top section of the front cab was supplied by Worsley Works so I took it you had to fabricate the bottom section yourself hence me going after the NNK cab.  

Thanks John, I did not realise the cab ends were based on the pull-push conversions and I had emphasised to Chris the bogies I was after were 10'. He was spinning them yesterday to meet my order.  Only the top section of the front cab was supplied by Worsley Works so I took it you had to fabricate the bottom section yourself hence me going after the NNK cab.

From memory the fret contains two sets of driving cab ends, one with the upper section only. the second with a fingers to form the lower section. I formed the ends to shape around a piece of balsa sanded to shape from a piece of balsa, then filled in the gaps between the fingers with solder & epoxy resin filler then filed/sanded the end to shape.

post-7338-0-17179600-1433481733_thumb.jpg

This is the only front part supplied by John

IMG_1934.JPG

I've been trying to get in touch with him but he's on holidays at the moment, looks like the bottom section of the cabs were not supplied. 

Great to see your excellent AEC, something to aim for.

Edited by kirley

MIR Cement Kits

These kits are like Hens Teeth now, I was lucky to pick up another Bogie Cement and my first Drop Side Wagon.  After coach building for the past month these were a very straightforward build.

IMG_1932.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Kieran, you really are in production mode! and very impressive stuff as well.  A thought on that DMU end.  Would it be possible to solder a piece of thin brass on the rear side of the fingers then use the fingers to get the profile of the front by filling with solder or epoxy filler and fileing/ sanding back? Must admit it was the first thing that came to mind!

This is the only front part supplied by John

IMG_1934.JPG

I've been trying to get in touch with him but he's on holidays at the moment, looks like the bottom section of the cabs were not supplied. 

Great to see your excellent AEC, something to aim for.

Those are the cab ends I used in my railcars, the fingers can be used to form the bottom section of the cab. Its easier to do than describe, I formed the cab ends around a wooden former, filling the gaps between the fingers with Carrs Detail solder, I formed the curve where the ends meets the sides around a small drill bit. Soldered everything together then finished the ends by a combination of filing down/sanding and very little filling. The most difficult bit was adding the marker lights after forming the ends.

post-7338-0-59971600-1433659493.jpg

North Atlantic Express Coaches

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

H3, Side Corridor Tri-Composite, NCC No 92, UTA No 240

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

J8, Side Corridor Third, NCC No 93, UTA No. 392

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

K3, Side Corridor Third Brake, NCC No 91, UTA No 472

• Like 6

North Atlantic Express Coaches Re-visited.

Since my previous post on these coaches someone kindly pointed out some discrepancies in my build.  Having to re do my interiors, roof vents and emergency brake locations was not something I wanted to do but I was keen to get a reasonable representation off these coaches. Having completed the task I am pleased with the result and thankful of the well meaning advice and the way it was given.

NAE%20rake%20x.jpg

AEC Railcar

At last some progress on the AEC build.

post-12350-0-68378100-1501321061_thumb.jpg

post-12350-0-87900200-1501321083.jpg

post-12350-0-38124000-1501321105.jpg

Managed to get some NNK GNR(I) AEC bogie sides.  While JM pointed out they are for a 9.6' rather than a 10' bogie they look so good I'll use them anyway.

Edited by kirley
  • Like 1

Coming along very nicely - there are very few models of the GNR 600/CIE 2600 class railcars around (what a mouthful).

All we need is for someone to produce kits/RTR models of the GNR 700 class  and GNR 900 class railcars.

I've always wondered if anything could be done with the Hornby GWR railcar - below ground there mechanically similar to the Irish railcars, in particular the drive shafts on the bogies.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

AEC Railcar GNR(I) decals.

Some help needed please before I go searching for a Supplier, I found this picture showing the decals needed for the Railcars but can’t find one for the Trailer. 

AEC%20No%20603x.jpg

I’m using a K15 coach and I think the GNR(I) numbers would have included No’s 98,145 & 186.  I take it the Crest would be centred on the side of the coach, I don’t know if the GNR(I) initials were used and if they were where would they and the numbers be located.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and a picture would be a bonus.  Also any ideas on what font the letters and numbers are in?

Edited by kirley