Kirley's Workbench

kirley

Is that the vacuum pipe from the drivers control valve to the front bag on the buffer plank? To me that would make sense as it seems to also be the handrail which would need to be cool to the touch! The ejector pipe runs above and into the smoke box and that would be very hot having steam blown along it all the time. From what I have read these engines had lots of individual modifications so no two were exactly the same? Mike

The Glasgow built U2 locos had cab roofs with the cut away rear corners as per Kirley's loco, whereas the Belfast built locos had the extended cab roofs with square corners. Dunluce Castle, in the photograph, was built in Glasgow, and has the cut away cab roof corners.  

" From what I have read these engines had lots of individual modifications so no two were exactly the same? Mike"

Hear, hear. The "pipe" which may or not be removed is a case in point - a study of Bill Scott's definitive book leaves one still guessing at what engines had it as shown on 74 and Kirley;s model, and others didn't - like nelson's loco. Some seemed to have a pipe of some kind running down to the footplate a bit further forward.  And of course we haven't got close up sideways photos of every single engine on that side.

I just wish some English company had had a 4-4-0 with the short drivers wheelbase and 6 foot wheels the NCC favoured, but I've not found an r-t-r one yet, and probably never will. However, we run about 6 of these 2P "converts" in various liveries on Killagan and Bleach Green and they'll do us for now!

Colm

Have done a little research into differences between U2 locomotives.

All the Glasgow built locos, 74,75,76,77,78,82,83 had the pipe in question. None of the Belfast built locos seem to have had it. All the Glasgow locos had Fowler style chimneys, the Belfast locos had a mixture of Fowler and Stanier chimneys. The Glasgow locos all had Fowler tenders, the Belfast locos had a mixture of Fowler and 'Breadcart' tenders. Some of the Belfast locos carried jacks on the running board next to the smokebox, but none of the Glasgow locos had them. The cab roofs were mentioned earlier, Glasgow locos had the rear corners cut away, Belfast locos had square corners.

Do bear in mind that the photographs consulted were a moment in time, and details like chimneys and tenders could have been different before or after the picture was taken.

The best thing, when modelling a particular loco, is to consult pictures of it. At least your model will be correct for the moment the picture was taken. 

AEC Railcar Set in GNR livery.

IMG_4785.JPG

A 2 Car Set which was delayed in finishing because I had to add an motor in the 2nd car so I could pull the 3 Car Set.

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

The 3 Car Set was also delayed to build a new 'full size' K15 coach.

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

It has been a long struggle to get to this point, just some minor paint touch-ups to finish this project but this build will be of great help when I come to tackle Railcars 6 & 7.

I was lucky to get the last of the GNR Railcar paint from Phoenix Paints along with the AEC bogie sides.  Steve at Railtech was very helpful in re doing the AEC Set and including the K15 decals as well.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Murphy Models MkII coaches in Supertrain livery.

I bought some of these coaches when they came out but never ran them as the colour is not right.  I finally got around to spraying some Golden Brown over them. 

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2357x.jpg

Now I can run them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CIE Bullied Open Wagons.

Next off the production line is Provincial Wagons kits of the original single body wagon.The build is very straight forward except (why has there always to be an except) for the underframe bits.

IMG_1805x.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

The wagons pulled by K1a 388 must be just out of the workshop as they are a bit bright for my liking, some weathering I think is called for.

• Like 2

MERLINIR LOGISTICS

1992 saw the Adelaide Freight Terminal become the hub of the Belfast Freight operation with overnight Container movements by rail from Belfast and Dublin in both directions.

NIR was the appointed agent in Northern Ireland for BR’s new Track 29 Parcel Service.  NIR’s name for this operation was MERLINIR LOGISTICS.  They painted some 40’ Containers and also a Ford Box van for local deliveries in ‘MERLINIR’ livery.  Unfortunately this was a short lived enterprise.

My attempt below to replicate Merlinir and as I had to guess the colours  they may not be strictly accurate.

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

Decals from MIR.

IMG_2510.JPG

I would like to record my grateful thanks to Ian Sinclair for his diligent research and producing an article on the launch of MERLINER LOGISTICS plus a black and white photograph of the van.

• Like 2

GNR(I) VS Class Locomotive

In the last edition of New Irish Lines Colm Flanagan had an article on converting a Schools Class locomotive to a VS Class.  As I have no GNR locomotives I was keen to give it a go following closely in Colm’s footsteps and below is the results of my build.

IMG_2403x.JPG

IMG_2408x.JPG

IMG_2411xx.jpg

IMG_2433x.JPG

IMG_2450x.JPG

IMG_2464x.JPG

Disaster with paint reacting.

IMG_2488xx.jpg

The finished model is No. 208.

208%20(5).jpg

208%20(2).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

CIE Laminate Coaches.

Allen Doherty of Worsley Works supplied me with ‘sides’ to build a CIE Laminate Standard and Brake Coach.

Initially I thought it would be a short build but then I discovered the length of these coaches was 61’ 6” and the majority of RTR donor coaches were not this length.  Eventually I came across some Thompson coaches which were actually longer so I picked up 2 old Hornby models.

post-12350-0-88647400-1512601884.jpg

post-12350-0-96514200-1512601905.jpg

post-12350-0-37084400-1512601916.jpg

These coaches have separate sides and roofs so were easy do dismantle.  I cut of the ends and the excess coach body at either end.  The bogies were now too far forward and had to be relocated as well as been replaced by Commonwealth ones from Bachmann.

post-12350-0-46004200-1512601934.jpg

Ends, buffers, and gangways are from Comet.

post-12350-0-13762600-1512601949.jpg

post-12350-0-57521900-1512601959.jpg

Roof strips and roof vents were also added. The fiddly bits such as door and grab handles added to the time spent on these models. 

post-12350-0-93349300-1512602205.jpg

Interiors also take time but to my mind are worth it.

post-12350-0-75601500-1512601971.jpg

I was torn between the Black & Tan or CIE Green livery but went for the more modern one to run with the Cravens and Park Royals.

post-12350-0-98660800-1512602099.jpg

Edited by kirley
  • Like 1