Kirley's Workbench

kirley

This was my effort at getting that slightly convex cab front profile about right, here for an 8-13 series MED model, built about 1994. I agree entirely with Colm's observations on the shape and its similarity to 6 & 7.

post-15566-0-23135800-1447615880_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-45722700-1447615793_thumb.jpg

Edited by 33lima
  • Like 4

Railcar 6 & 7

Another week and not a lot to show for it.  I forget how long it takes to do some jobs such as the interiors.  Cutting seats into 3 seaters and 2 seaters was tedious.

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

Bogies and couplings took up some time but now it's on to the electrics.

IMG_2634.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

UTA Railcar No. 6 & 7

Had a problem with the electrics but a Site Member came to my rescue.  In fact I must thank quite a few Members for their help and encouragement during the build.

I put the electrics under the body in a box I built out of plasticard with a lid for access.  The side skirts on the model helped to hide the box.

IMG_2645.JPG

So finally finished with a special word of thanks to Allen Doherty (Worsley Works) for producing such a fine kit of these unique vehicles.

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

I'll put a video of them running on my Kirley Junction thread soon.

• Like 1

Bredin Coaches

JM Design has brought out three more Bredin Coach kits designed to fit onto 60' LMS Dapol coaches:

The Standard Open 1356-71

The Brake Standard Open 1904-8

& The Brake Standard Steam Generator Van

all supplied with John's excellent instruction.

IMG_2718.JPG

I cut out the glazing before sticking the brass sides to the coach body.

IMG_2722.JPG

Then it's gluing with all the clamps I can fit on.

IMG_2775.JPG

I had to have a couple of goes to get the exhaust on the Gen Van to sit right.

IMG_2781.JPG

Tackling the roofs was next which takes a bit of time.

IMG_2784.JPG

Now they are ready for priming and colour but the interiors are still to be tackled

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bredin Brake Standard Open No. 1906

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

Don't know how I missed the number had moved, replacement lined up.

IMG_5033.JPG

For me one of the key things in these coaches is the roof detail.

Bredin Standard Open No.1360

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

Brake Standard Steam Generator Van No. 3210TL

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

All that's left is a bit of tiding up to do before giving them a run on the layout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GNR(i) M1 Brake Coach

Richard Hobbs produces a M1 coach kit and as I wanted to build up my GNR coaching stable it was too tempting to resist.

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

I was really impressed with the bogies.

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

A very straightforward build but trying to get a right mahogany colour was another piece of work.

• Like 3

How did you get the Mahogany finish?

I started off with Precision Paint Mahogany but it was too dark so I tried a mid brown and it was not right also.  I added some white to the mahogany and after it was dry I gave a light spray of grey and used a cotton bud to remove it which left the uneven colour finish.

Nice work Kirley.

I had forgotten about these kits.

At the time they were released, I seem to remember some being disappointed at the rather coarse finish and the amount of work required to get them to a satisfactory level. What was your experience?

They also seem a little on the expensive side, prices being quoted in U.S. dollars.

Regards,

Glover

• RMweb Gold

I started off with Precision Paint Mahogany but it was too dark so I tried a mid brown and it was not right also.  I added some white to the mahogany and after it was dry I gave a light spray of grey and used a cotton bud to remove it which left the uneven colour finish.

Thanks for that.  Your technique is really effective.

I was also wary of the finish but saw a completed one on Leslie McAllister’s (Provincial Wagons) Stall at the Shows.  You have to accept the surface will never be as smooth as plastic or resin but if you apply the 2 foot rule the finish is fine.  With all the beading and panelling I did not attempt to add fillers or sand the body, life is too short.

The cost is something else with the PP charges Shapeway apply but if you factor in the knowledge and skill it took to prepare the drawings for the coach, duckets and bogies, (something I could not do), I suppose you have to pay for a unique model.

Bus Kits

Do you remember when exams were looming and studying was required but you seem to find all these other very important things to do first, at least that’s how it was with me.  I have a number of big projects to start and I find myself ‘tidying up” small projects pushing back the start.

So I’ve been completing these bus kits and tidy up some bit on my vans.

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

I’ve a Signal Cabin Kit to finish and then I’m out of excuses.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Kirley's put together one of the few of these that I've sold; perhaps not unexpected given the price!

Perhaps I should explain that some time after the design of these - shapeways changed their pricing strategy with around 1 weeks notice. This made the 1 piece prints, such as the M1 and M2 vastly more expensive than previously. This caused a lot of consternation on their forums as the time. As this is an early model It's not one I can split into components sadly. That, coupled with shapeways use of UPS means it's very expensive. I make approximately the price of a pint on each one.....The cost is what it is, but there you go!

Kind Regards

Richard.