Class 70 Unattended Engine Running

floss_4

I recently noticed a stabled class 70 had it's engine running whilst appearing to be un manned. It also displayed miniature red lights on each side. Was it the main engine or is there an auxiliary for maintaining systems/frost prevention etc. It was very quiet. Can they be remote started by mobile telemetry etc. I may be wrong and there could have been crew nearby but it didn't look like anyone was around.

I think they have a small donkey engine to maintain battery power and (possibly) keep the main engine coolant warm and so prevent a cold start.

I am sure I read it somewhere but it might have been a dream.

• RMweb Gold

Its the APU (aux power unit) that does as royal oak says keeps fluids warm so when you get on it doesnt take an age to warm up, when they are not running it is a pain as it can take 45 mins to an hour for the compressor to get up to temparature

You are not allowed to run the APU in hinksey because of noise abatement so prepping a pair of them there is a proper pain, also sometimes by the time you have had a pair top and tail and you return to the rear loco after changing the ends (such as on the claydon job) it will not let you take full power as its cooled down again!!

Archived