Merrymaker Memories

• RMweb Gold

Summer Saturdays at Bristol Parkway was quite a spectacle. Many merrymaker excursions en route to the South West, mainly peak or class 47 hauled, from most parts of the BR network. Non-boilered 47s often being used, and full of excited passengers and their cool bags packed full of sandwiches etc. Back in 1974/5 their 1Zxx headcodes gave away their provenance. Occasionally too on Adex (merrymakers) were 33s and "Southy" mark 1 stock, even 4TCs; double headed class 25s and LMR based DMUs.

On summer Saturday's there was approximately double the passenger traffic compared to midweek - well worth getting up early for - those were the days.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the 111o hauled trip was 30th September 1972, started at Hull remember it had on maroon coach in the formation. Was along day but and excellent trip

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon Lee
  • Like 1

We finally arrived at Shenfield at 7.06am,

Must have been something about Blackpool. I can remember a trip from Stevenage that also became a marathon and a breakfast time arrival back in Hertfordshire. thankfully it was a school railway society trip so excuses for late attendance at class were approved

• RMweb Gold

the 111o hauled trip was 30th September 1972, started at Hull remember it had on maroon coach in the formation. Was along day but and excellent trip

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon.

The people you meet on here, it's a small world!

Got a colour pic of the loco at Folkestone, but not the negative regrettably. Will have to dig my notebook out.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Like 27016 above, I have only just discovered this thread and it got me searching through the archives.

In 1981 I was the secretary of Whickham Camera Club (near Gateshead) and I organised a couple of Merrymaker outings for club members. I still have the paperwork involved.

On 6th June 11 of us boarded the train at Newcastle for a day in Aviemore (although it continued as far as Inverness for those wanting full value for the £7 fare!) The 11-coach train left Newcastle at 06.40, due Aviemore at 12.36 and Inverness at 13.33. The motive power on the outward journey was 46016 as far as Edinburgh, with 40162 the rest of the way.

For the return trip we were due away from Aviemore at 17.56, finally reaching Newcastle at 23.53 with 40162 all the way back. 

Here are a couple of the shots I took from the train behind 40162 on the Highland main line. probably north of Pitlochry. Perhaps someone who knows the route could pinpoint the locations?  (See the EDIT note at the end)

2074850018_(T2171aS)40162n.boundtoD.Summit6-6-81(T.Ermel).jpg.4be38de87fb87e166a8cd97c7ce41544.jpg

I think this is on the climb up to Druimuachdar Summit

Checking on Google Earth it appears to be just south of Dalnaspidal, on the final part of the climb

426052751_(T2172aS)40162Nr.Aviemoren.bound6-6-81(T.Ermel).jpg.8d6c3f15a13b68b36ccfc59777fa4aa3.jpg

This must be nearer Aviemore, passing a southbound train with a 47 on the front.

This is approaching Dalwhinnie station

1997660340_(T2173aS)40162Aviemorestn6-6-81(T.Ermel).jpg.ca7f9d89abb89ca8e30e708d8190d839.jpg

This is the return train from Inverness arriving at Aviemore station with the same loco.

The second Merrymaker we went on that year was on 19th September from Newcastle to Doncaster, for the Air Display at RAF Finningley. A much more sensible(!) journey time was planned (just over two hours each way) but the ticket price was the same as the Aviemore marathon, at £7. Ten of us went but I can't find any record of the motive power involved.

I am pretty sure A4 No 60009 was on static display in the grounds but it was impossible to get near it due to the huge crowds, although I did take pictures of the other two star guests at the air show, a Vulcan bomber and a Concorde.

Happy days!

Trevor

EDIT I have had a good look on Google Earth (what a great tool for this sort of thing!) and I have identified the locations for the top two pictures and amended the captions accordingly in italics

Edited by Trev52A
Typo
  • Like 8

• 2 years later...

Here goes with my request from 1978, which hopefully someone please can kindly answer.

Back in the Autumn of 1978 BR ran Blackpool Illuminations merrymakers from Ipswich and Great Yarmouth/Norwich on two Saturdays 23rd September and 7th October 1978, with the respective portions attaching at Ely. The return working on both dates departed Blackpool North late on the Saturday evening at about 23.00 hrs with the Norwich/Great Yarmouth portion being detached at Ely in the early hours on the Sunday morning.

Did any forum members travel on the Saturday 7th October 1978 merrymaker to Blackpool and still please have their notes and or photos which might identify the loco(s) that worked this train, especially the Great Yarmouth/Norwich portion to and back from Ely?

I’ve already tried the Ipswich Transport Society, however their records only go back to 1981.  

Many thanks

Mark

Have you tried Six Bells Junction? 

I lived in Cambridge 1959-1973, then moved to St.Ives, retaining close links with CBG. I don't have the notes to hand, but know that I travelled on a few of these, I shall have to scour my notebooks (in the loct.

I remember D5616, 455662, and D1512, along with other 31s. I'll post on here if I find anything, but my dates may actually be slightly too early.

Stewart

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Have you tried Six Bells Junction? 

I lived in Cambridge 1959-1973, then moved to St.Ives, retaining close links with CBG. I don't have the notes to hand, but know that I travelled on a few of these, I shall have to scour my notebooks (in the loct.

I remember D5616, 455662, and D1512, along with other 31s. I'll post on here if I find anything, but my dates may actually be slightly too early.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Many thanks for your reply and if you could please check your notes that would be very much appreciated.

The Six Bells Junction is a good website so far as it goes, but barely begins to even touch the surface as regards the numerous merrymakers and charters etc which BR ran back in the day. 

Mark