• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-90285200-1418288432.jpg

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH Bucks Hill

Editor Steve Flint discovers this visual and aural spectacle in finescale O gauge, based on Pontrilas and built by Kevin Wilson, Paul Bambrick and team.

PLAN OF THE MONTH & SCALE DRAWINGS Chappel & Wakes Colne

In this double feature on the home of the East Anglian Railway Museum, Myles Munsey presents a layout suggestion, and David Malton draws and describes the station building, prepared with the aid of additional information by David Holman.

FEATURES

Sir Winston’s last journey. The British statesman’s ceremonial funeral took place 50 years ago this month. Paul Tollett describes how the special train involved can be modelled.

Gresley Gathering

Ian Harper has models of all 34 A4s, and a goodly number of other Pacifics and smaller classes on his OO shed layout Haymarket Cross. 

Whitchurch footbridge. An unusual suspension structure, modelled in 4mm scale by Peter Blencowe, who used to go locospotting on the real thing.

Thatcher’s craft in miniature, using a scratchbuilt 7mm scale cottage as a demonstration piece, Paul Bason shows that a successful roof can be modelled – with practice.

A Spitfire and Penny Emma. Derek Gelsthorpe presents his latest OO gauge layout, inspired by a short Nottinghamshire branch line and with a model of one of Supermarine’s finest as a mascot.

Ryedown Lane. An interest in all things Colonel Stephens prompted Patrick Collins to build this two-station layout in OO9, full of the charm of rural backwater railways.

A locomotive fleet in OO9. John Thorne describes the roster of engines available for duty on Bottle Kiln Lane, his latest OO9 layout, which was featured in the April 2014 edition of RM.

Sheaf Valley Railway. Oliver Reading grew up with the preservation scene as his only source of steam, so modelling a fictitious heritage railway centre in N came as second nature.

Getting spectators hooked, O gauge modeller John Rodway is a passionate advocate of encouraging exhibition visitors to ‘have a go’, in this feature he showcases six layout ideas that can enthuse and excite young and old alike.

Marshbury. Geoffrey Smith discovered a new interest to take into retirement – model railways. The resulting OO gauge layout that lies behind his railway room door was inspired by south Shropshire locations.

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED

Lineside hut to fish stall

Chris O’Donoghue took a free RM cover-mount kit and converted it for use on his new 4mm scale layout, with a quayside as its centrepiece.

Project of the Month – A timber station building. The new Peco LK-200 timber station building is mostly made from laser-cut wood. Craig Tiley shows you how to get the best from this medium.

REGULARS

Comment

Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, long-standing Talyllyn Railway volunteer Nigel Adams addresses the problem of diminishing numbers of them. 

Mine arrived yesterday. looks like a good issue. The building of the new Peco laser cut building could not have come at the right time as I've just bought one. Might wait to the next issue before building it as I notice that Craig is going to put two together which is what I'm thinking of doing.

An excellent issue indeed- IMHO the "Modeller" goes from strength to strength under the good Mr. Flint's stewardship. I'm not usually a fan of free DVDs with magazines, most not worth the bother of viewing; have to say,that with this edition is an exception-well produced and very interesting.

Yup - another good issue. Now, not a lot shocks me, but if there's any truth in the "severed head in the 4ft" story to be found on the letters page, I am duly shocked...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived