Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

So is Hornby getting aggressive with the competition ?

It was only a few years back one company usually withdrew a model if another announced it (Lima for instance dropped the V2 in the 80's upon mainline rumours and also the 44,45,46 in the 90's), more recently Bachmann did the decent thing in the face of an advanced (but as yet unreleased) J15...

But look at 2015... 2x Kings, 2x 71's, 2x radials ... Not an old model vs a new, but just a plain head on car crash...

60163 is understandable as it has wider market appeal than the average modeller... But is a 71 and a radial a "mums and dads" market item....?

Can't help thinking Hornby would have done better, not just for themselves, but also the wider hobby if the had picked some different ones.., is this just trying to squeeze out some of the new boys ?

There is previous form... We had two class 92's released in the same year... The outcome definitely contributed to the demise of the other... (£30 vs £50 if I remember correctly)... As 2 of the 3 this year already have a price declared.. Let's see what Hornby do with their offerings prices...

It seems obvious that Hornby were well advanced with their King and Adams Radial when the other parties announced theirs. Debatable vis-a-vis the class 71 although it looks as though they may be a tad ahead.

I don,t think they actually trying to squeeze the new boys, more like another case of the same invention appearing at the same time only by different people and places.

I don,t think they actually trying to squeeze the new boys, more like another case of the same invention appearing at the same time only by different people and places.

I agree, unlike others Hornby are usually well advanced with development before they announce models.

The King will be a mainstream model available widely rather than a special only available from Hattons so no reason to cancel. The Adams looks too far advanced to realistically cancel and the 71 there is not much else modern image left for Hornby to do and fits in with their range.

If they had cancelled all three then it would have virtually wiped out their 2015 plans (yes I know the 71 is a 2016 release).

That's exactly why you shouldn't convert to DCC.

The true meaning of the acronym revealed as 'Dictatorial Crap Conspiracy' or some such...

Not every modeller of Scottish railways is Scottish, or lives in Scotland, any more than all those Beattie well tanks were sold in Wadebridge.

But this flows all ways, and I reckon that the modelling interest for a locale will show some proportionality to the population of that place if there is a free choice of suitable models.

Don't read me wrong on this: I should like several of the classic Scottish loco designs available for purchase as RTR models, over any example of Southern or Western classes. An NBR Glen, Atlantic or 0-6-0, a CR Dunalastair or Jumbo, would spring the green from my wallet 'just like that'.

Not much for me but Hornby always focus on steam more than D&E.

Nice to see the Class 08 back in BR blue but that's the only loco I will be buying.

A bit disappointed with the minimal Skaledale releases - is it me or has this been a recent trend in the last 3 years? Even with all the problems I'd have thought Hornby could maintain the Skaledale releases as buildings and accessories are important and good selling products (Bachmann have after all outdone themselves on their Scalescenes releases of late).

I agree with comments above re Hornby catching up on the delayed releases from 2013/2014 and it had to be expected there would be less for 2015.  Just glad the MK2es are out now and other releases have been/are being released thick and fast since October.   

• RMweb Premium

Presumbly someone has now managed to magically move it without dying or losing too many limbs, given that the Margate warehouse is apparently empty.

Probably disappeared on the back of a white Transit pickup. Everything else seems to do...................................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just seeing an email from Hornby about 2014 highlights and what's coming in 2015. They list a Streamlined Coronation in Maroon, Duchess of Hamilton. Available direct or through concessions. Just mention it because I hadn't seen this listed before. Quite fancy one but I really object to ordering direct and giving all the benefit to Hornby. £149 a bit eye watering too. Probably give it a miss

Just seeing an email from Hornby about 2014 highlights and what's coming in 2015. They list a Streamlined Coronation in Maroon, Duchess of Hamilton. Available direct or through concessions. Just mention it because I hadn't seen this listed before. Quite fancy one but I really object to ordering direct and giving all the benefit to Hornby. £149 a bit eye watering too. Probably give it a miss

FWIW, Hornby did this loco, in these colours back in 2008 as one of their NRM specials, celebrating 70 years.

• RMweb Premium

If you buy it through a concession the concession owner will get a commission.

Have I missed it? What happened to the Flying Scotsman that was announced last year. I think it was to have a white roof as it did in the 80s when it pulled the royal train? 

It is a Hornby Collectors Club model. Due March according to http://www.Hornby.com/news/Hornby-sea-day-2014/

I believe there is a picture of one so illustrated in the latest (last?) issue of The Collector Plus. 

There was no BR 1957 Rule Book. The 1950 version was in force, with countless amendments, until the replacement in, I think, 1972.

Indeed, my issued copy of the 1950 rule book has a comment printed at the foot of the title page, "To operate from 1st. January, 1962."

Did you see how much they want for a 125 power car and trailer with a bit of yellow paint splashed all over it? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The price for the HSTs has been discussed many times before. When you basically consider that you are getting a £140 loco and then an identical loco minus a £30ish motor then it is not that bad a price. That's a £250 loco set for £175. I dont see a problem with that.

There's a lot to look forward to in 2015, assuming it appears this year. I'm not at all sure which manufacturer is doing what at this stage of the game, not that it matters, but the Stanier 2-6-0, Gresley 02 2-8-0, LMS Stanier non-corridors and LMS 'Porthole' brake third spring to mind as exchange fodder for my spare money....  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

The price for the HSTs has been discussed many times before. When you basically consider that you are getting a £140 loco and then an identical loco minus a £30ish motor then it is not that bad a price. That's a £250 loco set for £175. I dont see a problem with that.

Agreed. Bachmann were asked the question in one of the mags earlier in the year about producing double sets of locos with one as a unpowered dummy (as Hornby did in the past with Mainline 37's, 58's etc) and the Bachmann boss said it was not worth it as the price differential between one motorised or two was minimal. Whilst I understand that, the simple fact is for contemporary railways top and tailing is very common (obviously an HST is the original top and tail!) so there is a lot of sense in my mind in producing pairs of locos, or at least making non-motor bogies available that work with directional lights. Or is it just me not struggling with speed mismatched loco's topping and tailing?

The issue is not the price, but the fact that matching coach sets are rarely released at the same time. so making up a train is a PITA. I have the most recent yellow Mk3's but you can't buy the first pair any more unless you pay over the odds for a full set, which will have the old HST cars. I think there is a big opportunity here for a bit of creative thinking by the manufacturers.

... producing double sets of locos with one as an unpowered dummy ...

It's simple enough when it's an MU'd pair that normally run together, like the HST and any railcar set with two motor cars, because the sale is a done deal, 'everyone' wants a pair. But notice that Bachmann went for two locos on their Blue Pullthing. For a small production run the associated cost of designing, tooling, having a separate build for an unpowered car may well have fully negated any saving on a motor and gears.

For locos, the design has to be powered. Are there sufficient potential powered+ unpowered pairs sales to justify the costs of making an unpowered variant? I guess what the manufacturer believes is 'no'.

..is it just me not struggling with speed mismatched loco's topping and tailing?...

Easiest thing in the world with DCC. They run along maintaining formation without need of the couplers to keep them together.

Lima used to do separate powered and dummy HST power cars with various running numbers and names. Surely this would be more useful than a pack containing a consecutively numbered pair? Other than after their initial introduction units were soon split up and it was rare to see such a pairing. This would also provide the opportunity to run mixed livery pairs which is not uncommon and would allow modellers to run pairs of powered or powered / dummy combinations as they liked.

Wheee!!!!  That put me in my place!

Whilst I appreciate your PoV I can't quite see what is essentially a 2 unit DMU set as a "£250 loco set for £175", especially as the 31/12/14 Hornby email listed the yellow blob at £209.99!  It may well be a super-detailed power car/trailer set but worth over 200 quid for the set?  It all seems a bit steep.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Italia/ Rivarossi has recently released a number of FS single car diesel units as pairs - one powered the other not, with the price of the pair appearing to be about £30 or so less than if both were powered. So in some markets the powered/unpowered set sells. Why not in the UK too?

I've also noticed that Rivarossi limited editions are often as low production volume as 250-300 units, which is way below the 1000 Hornby (UK) has insisted upon in the past. I wonder.er if the lower numbers for some of the latest Club models is an indication that things are changing here too? A good thing if it is.

• RMweb Premium

Wheee!!!! That put me in my place!

Whilst I appreciate your PoV I can't quite see what is essentially a 2 unit DMU set as a "£250 loco set for £175", especially as the 31/12/14 Hornby email listed the yellow blob at £209.99! It may well be a super-detailed power car/trailer set but worth over 200 quid for the set? It all seems a bit steep.

Each to their own.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder.er if the lower numbers for some of the latest Club models is an indication that things are changing here too? A good thing if it is.

Are they? The new 'Manston' is an edition of 750, whereas the old one that I have is one of only 500.

John

Archived