Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

Yet Bachmann seem to think that gradually introducing a range of common length first generation DMUs is a worthwhile approach. They even go as far as bringing out regional variations...

Indeed, and I am one of those who has bought the DMU model specific to the southern end of the ECML 1956-1961. Essential background to the spectacle of the Doncaster pacific parade, but supporting cast rather than the principals. As a result, I have perhaps fewer than I should, just 2 x  2 car sets. They both take up track space, and they offer no flexibility; unlike a set of coaches or wagons which become a 'different train' with the addition of any of the typically half dozen or more locos that are appropriate.

Compare directly to the inner sub loco hauled stock, a pair of Quad-Arts, or five LNER/BR design non-gangwayed. either of these take up much the same track space as four DMU cars, but may be hauled in routine service by all of B1, J6, L1, N2, N7, EE type 1 and Brush, BRCW, EE and NBL type 2s. Ten times the value in variety! I don't feel I am alone in finding loco hauled stock just that essential bit more useful for operational variety than MU's.

I can confirm 'Brushman47544' s post of earlier today. I saw the R6691 BR 21 ton hopper 3 set in my local shop this morning, they had received it at the end of last week. This means it was already produced and being shipped when Hornby announced it mid December.

With such welcome assurance regarding my unused lifespan, I now realise that I had better give even more thought to my wishlist(s). Can we have two each year now Brian? Note to self: Get back to work on the layout with a view to getting it nearer completion.

Why stop at so few Adams locos? The 0415 and O2 are all very well, but the Jubilees just lasted till post-war (WW2 that is), and a number of T1s. And I can remember Drummond 4-4-0s (OK., so I may not have had much of a clue as to what I was looking at, but my older brother was always happy to show his superior knowledge. My memory banks still have some ghostly images of pre-nationalisation steam, if not the warm tizer.)

PB

I'd echo the comment about my lifespan! (I often wonder if I'll last till tomorrow!) Good to know I might get some of my projects finished. Would STILL love to see an H16 tank, and having recently seen The Railway Children at King's Cross, the T3 is beautiful, especially when it's moving. And isn't it just a 4-4-0 version of the Radial tank?

CHRIS LEIGH

There has been positive signs of improvements to the Hornby supply chain timescales over the last 3 weeks. Of the new releases announced for 2015, some 17 items have been delivered in the first 3 weeks of the year, including 2 brand new tooled items. It has been many years since Hornby released new items in the first month of the year. It is early days, but very encouraging.

• RMweb Gold

There has been positive signs of improvements to the Hornby supply chain timescales over the last 3 weeks. Of the new releases announced for 2015, some 17 items have been delivered in the first 3 weeks of the year, including 2 brand new tooled items. It has been many years since Hornby released new items in the first month of the year. It is early days, but very encouraging.

But they came awfully close with the 2 BIL which was in the shops by the beginning of February 2013 if not in some by the end of January.

• RMweb Premium

The 2BIL was an interesting model, quite aside from the obvious fact of it being a cracking prototype for Hornby to model I always thought it showed the potential for how design clever could have worked if the idea had been well executed. That is a very nice model, unfortunately things went down hill and the idea lost its credibility with the GWR large tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've finally got around to reading the Hornby announcement supplement in Hornby Magazine and have have noticed that, of the three new Train Sets for 2015, two - WESTERN EXPRESS and MASTER OF THE GLENS - include only Railroad standard locos and coaches. Personally I think this is a good idea as Train Sets are primarily entry level items to the hobby, but then why does Hornby continue to brand them as if they are Main Range. Isn't it time Hornby branded these Train Sets as Hornby Railroad and used more yellow Railroad style boxes?

At the same time, Main range branded Train Sets should have only main range items in them; none of the mixing and matching practiced up to now.

I've finally got around to reading the Hornby announcement supplement in Hornby Magazine and have have noticed that, of the three new Train Sets for 2015, two - WESTERN EXPRESS and MASTER OF THE GLENS - include only Railroad standard locos and coaches. Personally I think this is a good idea as Train Sets are primarily entry level items to the hobby, but then why does Hornby continue to brand them as if they are Main Range. Isn't it time Hornby branded these Train Sets as Hornby Railroad and used more yellow Railroad style boxes?

At the same time, Main range branded Train Sets should have only main range items in them; none of the mixing and matching practiced up to now.

Hornby rarely does produce a set that contains full spec models. All the sets I've known and seen have always had the cheaper models (with the exception of a few). And I doubt they are branded as anything, Hornby has just "Railroad" and "Hornby" the latter of which contains a wide array of products.

The sets are anyways aimed to get people into the hobby and hence I see their choice of stock as suitable.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby rarely does produce a set that contains full spec models. All the sets I've known and seen have always had the cheaper models (with the exception of a few). And I doubt they are branded as anything, Hornby has just "Railroad" and "Hornby" the latter of which contains a wide array of products.

The sets are anyways aimed to get people into the hobby and hence I see their choice of stock as suitable.

I agree with you, but my point is that the boxes are branded Hornby and are red, whereas RAILROAD boxes have more yellow and look quite different. As an unsavvy parent, wouldn't you look at similar branded boxes for future purchases to go with a successful train set? So isn't Hornby missing a trick here? The other 2015 set is a EUROSTAR and since that model is still considered by Hornby as main range, having a red box and Hornby branding makes sense. This approach would also help parents differentiate between level of fragility and detailing of the models in the two types of Train Set, which may help them make their purchase based, for example, on the age of the recipient.

I've finally got around to reading the Hornby announcement supplement in Hornby Magazine and have have noticed that, of the three new Train Sets for 2015, two - WESTERN EXPRESS and MASTER OF THE GLENS - include only Railroad standard locos and coaches. Personally I think this is a good idea as Train Sets are primarily entry level items to the hobby, but then why does Hornby continue to brand them as if they are Main Range.

I noticed that as well, though I didn't positively identify the Pullmans as the Railroad Pullmans in the "Western Express" set.

It feels deliberate - all the trainsets have identical branding - probably because they want the train sets to look 'special' even if their contents are "RAILROAD". As far as I know, Hornby has never released a RAILROAD branded trainset and clearly there are low-end and high-end trainsets. It is yet another example of their muddled approach to the RAILROAD branding.

We do know, because it has been clearly stated, part of the reason that "dual-range models" (Tornado, P2, DoG, Hall etc) were created, was so that the lower-spec / RAILROAD version could be sold in train sets.

Hornby rarely does produce a set that contains full spec models.

I understand what you are trying to say, but it doesn't ring true. While there are of course many high-spec train packs and we're talking about train sets here, but Hornby does offer low, medium and high-end sets - all branded the same way for a uniform look.

It's not that long ago that they offered sets like "The Master Cutler" and the British Pullman Venice Simplon Orient Express set which is still on their website.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but also for 2015 Hornby have made a change to their website that affects users in the US.

For me, Hornby.com now presents the US version of the website which has been upgraded to a similar structure as the UK site. Only I rarely want to look at the US site.

Fortunately there is an option to adjust it and the cookies seem to work so that returning to Hornby.com returns me to the UK site.

Slightly off topic, but also for 2015 Hornby have made a change to their website that affects users in the US.

For me, Hornby.com now presents the US version of the website which has been upgraded to a similar structure as the UK site. Only I rarely want to look at the US site.

Fortunately there is an option to adjust it and the cookies seem to work so that returning to Hornby.com returns me to the UK site.

Same phenomenon here today <sigh> what a pain in the arse - fortunately, it seems the "localization" selection ICON "sticks" after you switch it to the UK option.

First two or three times I tried it froze though, progress eh!! :jester:

On the bright side it automatically displays the process in US $ after VAT had been removed.

I still get the UK site here in Canada with the ex-VAT pricing in GBP!

Steve

Sorry if this is off topic, but I didn't think my question warranted a new thread. This seemed like the best place to ask.

I notice on Hornbys website that R3132 Book Law is due in stock tomorrow. Anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I didn't think my question warranted a new thread. This seemed like the best place to ask.

I notice on Hornbys website that R3132 Book Law is due in stock tomorrow. Anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Early crest Crosti 9f is now shown as 1/05/15........

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to believe it but these days,Hornby give some form of advance warning that it's imminent.Nothing in my e mail from them today to that effect. This is,I think the first A3 in Apple green,as opposed to A1 ?

... these days,Hornby give some form of advance warning that it's imminent.

Yes, rest assured that as soon as it is available, anyone signed up on their website will get an email. That part of their system is working well.

Archived