Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

The J50 will never seem the same without the K's driver leaning from the cab (for those with long memories).

I'm guessing that the J50 fits a standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, whereas a J67/J69 would require a completely new development.

The specification list for the J50 suggests the standard chassis is the last thing Hornby have on their mind for it.

John

If the S15 is to the same sort of spec as the King Arthurs then that'll be worth having (as long as the number is the same as one of those marked off in my Ian Allen 1962 spotters book - just joking). Plus the Sentinel with side rods looks good, following on from the first type.

Hornby seem to have covered a lot of bases with this announcement so hopefully on form .

• RMweb Premium

Overall an impressive (once again) programme with some commercially sound, and interestingly priced in some cases, models.  Hopefully they will achieve their production promises and presumably the item lists only new/new livery items as I see the 'Halls' are not listed?

One or two interesting livery 'oopsies' although no doubt they can be corrected before going into production - the 'Castle' (5043) is in the wrong livery as it didn't gain its double chimney until 1958 while I notice the excellent looking LMS horsebox in BR livery is carrying a symbol indicating that it's been condemned.

But that apart a commendable commitment, I think, to the 'modeller market', and something for the collectors too with the 'silver' A4s showing that some of Hornby's commercial acumen has carried on into the new regime.

I believe the 'condemned' (cross in circle) inscription had another meaning in terms of LMS / LM coaching stock in indicating a route availability restriction - off the top of my head, not allowed over City Widened Lines (so don't couple it to a J50 for a South London trip, folks!).  Hopefully an LMS coaching stock expert will be able to confirm (apologies if they have already done so and I have overlooked their response).

Nice little lot feel a couple of 67's to booster the ranks along with my 60's and 66's have no use for a sentinel but going to have to get a wabtec one to go along side my Tarmac one which i did not need but just had to have one good going Hornby

• RMweb Premium

I always thought the J50 did carry LNER green or was that a figment of Lima's imagination?

No further illuminated Mk1's is a little disappointing, I know they weren't perfect but I like my three coach BR(S) green set.

Looks a good list to me. Though I agree with previous comments about the graffiti covered MK1s. Not a good sight- hopefully they'll be in the bargain basement sales 2017/18 for re-painting into blue/grey!

One general bug bear- and Hornby were the first for this. The "T" in a carriage description means TRAILER and NOT tourist.

Are those MK3s specifically designed for holiday makers? No. So why use that terminology? It is- and always has been- trailer.

Sorry- just a pet hate of mine and should not detract from an otherwise very encouraging sign that Hornby are continuing to invest in this hobby.

• RMweb Premium

Plain blue class 50 (D400) please.

Definitely support that, 1994 form!

A lot of great stuff in this announcement, but am surprised that the traction built up with the P2 hasn't been used to make an LNER apple green A4. I've read the arguments before, but with batches of 800 now seemingly possible for silver A4s, then surely 3,200 of four differently named apple green A4s would sell?

Despite one of the comments above, I presume that the 92 isn't a new tool?

• RMweb Premium

I believe the 'condemned' (cross in circle) inscription had another meaning in terms of LMS / LM coaching stock in indicating a route availability restriction - off the top of my head, not allowed over City Widened Lines (so don't couple it to a J50 for a South London trip, folks!).  Hopefully an LMS coaching stock expert will be able to confirm (apologies if they have already done so and I have overlooked their response).

Found the reference now, in 'The LMS Wagon' (Essery / Morgan) where they refer to it as the 'Metro Gauge Mark', but it means the opposite of what I thought - stock carrying it WAS allowed to work over the Widened Lines.

Looks a good list to me. Though I agree with previous comments about the graffiti covered MK1s. Not a good sight- hopefully they'll be in the bargain basement sales 2017/18 for re-painting into blue/grey!

One general bug bear- and Hornby were the first for this. The "T" in a carriage description means TRAILER and NOT tourist.

Are those MK3s specifically designed for holiday makers? No. So why use that terminology? It is- and always has been- trailer.

Sorry- just a pet hate of mine and should not detract from an otherwise very encouraging sign that Hornby are continuing to invest in this hobby.

Depends entirely whether the T is a loco-hauled vehicle or a multiple-unit vehicle. Certainly Trailer in an HST but remember most Hornby people are not railwaymen or railway enthusiasts and would not know these things.

Biggest surprise......Re-releasing the 4F as a main range model at around £100.00 when it is clearly now a Railroad toy from the dark ages. 

S15...A no-brainer...... Good shout.

King..... I assumed this was going to be the ultimate. Hornby's LNER Pacifics and K1 have the correct and very characteristic 'flat and large' wheel centres. Driving wheels on a 'King' had bosses that stuck out some way from the spokes, all down to a more generous loading gauge than the other Big Four companies. If Hornby doesn't do it, the competition might!

Well, similarly surprised they haven't gone for Chiltern Class 67, Mk3 and DVTs set (especially as with Dapol's Class 68 on horizon that would reduce loco sales), but not a bad mix. The DB silver DVT seems a bit of an oddball?

I'll snap up a DB Class 90 to run with my Hornby mail carriages (yes, but they are all red !). 

The East Coast focus is interesting, I got a Flying Scotsman set so my special Battle of Britain Class 91 had something to run with, but that may go now in favour of a dedicated new set and DVT.

The Night Riveras still inbound - pity no Mk3 TSO/Buffet/TGS in the same livery (I know they aren't as the real but close enough for me !). I guess they are producing the FGW Mk3s due to still silly prices on Ebay (and similarly for the East Coast Mk4s !) which indicates significant demand. They did continue the power cars for at least a year without coaches.

Bit short on modern wagons?

Also thought there might be some Yellow NR Mk2Es appearing - still not much to run with the Class 31, and half expected a NR yellow DVT also. 

Biggest surprise......Re-releasing the 4F as a main range model at around £100.00 when it is clearly now a Railroad toy from the dark ages.

I'd be much more forgiving on that score if the 4F was to appear in a S&DJR livery. In the same vein I was surprised to see the Fowler 2P in S&DJR with running number 44. I haven't checked but it feels like they have done that number before. I'm presuming this is the tender-drive version with traction tyres?

• RMweb Gold
Derekstuart, on 17 Dec 2014 - 15:16, said:

The "T" in a carriage description means TRAILER and NOT tourist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourist_Standard_Open

• RMweb Premium

Some nice new models, S15 is desirable, cranked sentinel is nice, also Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The latter I believe has already been pointed out should be late crest in that guise.

Sensible announcements I believe from a company that is trying hard to win back customer confidence, they are certainly going about it the right way. 

Wasn't there a J50 in the 1970 Railway Children film? it would make a good adjunct to the Bachmann RC set.

Archived