Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

So I now understand - I think the problem actually therefore lies not with the model but the description as it is 'as preserved livery' rather than 'early livery'.  But to get all that right - as at least two of us on here  seemingly didn't - means a bit of careful thought about titling (I don't know how they describe it on their website as I can't find the new announcements there :O )

Pretty non-specific here Mike.

Guest spet0114

Well, after seeing what Hornby have to offer, I can only offer them my congratulations.

They have successfully eliminated any chance that I'll be spending any money on any of their products for at least the next 12 months.

Whilst I can see that the S15, J50 etc will appeal to some, I personally think that this year's range lacks the 'wow' factor - the 'big ticket' items that will appeal not only to those for whom they are period/region-correct, but also to the 'ohh - that looks pretty' brigade (of which I consider myself one) who will buy things that are pretty/different/unusual even if they don't fit in with their main modelling activities. Two years back it was the P2 & Great Gathering sets, last year the Black Motor and J15 (can't get excited about the K1), this year...not much.

Obviously if all the duplication hadn't happened and we were looking at the first announcement of the Radial and Class 71, then things might be a bit more exciting, but to me this year's selection is overall a bit boring. Couple this with price rises (which I accept are essentially unavoidable) and Hornby's recent attempts to p*ss off all of their retailers and most of their customers (the 'Great Goodbye' and 'Exeter' fiascos, to name but two), then I'd say that it doesn't look too hopeful for the Margate mob.

All IMO, obviously, but with Bachmann bringing out a lot of very tempting stuff (Atlantics, Coal Tank, Class 90,E4, Birdcages etc) and not making blatant attempts to cut the dealers out of the picture, I have to say that I know where I'll feel happier spending my hard-earned cash. Add in the novelty of Rapido. DJM and Oxford Rail entering the market, again with products that do have the 'oooh' factor, and it doesn't get any better for Hornby.

I just hope their supply problems improve. They could do with some good news.

Cheers
Adrian

The 2P photo does seem to show a tender drive model but I'm sure that Hornby will reproduce the loco drive versions which were available for a short time around 2011 (R3028/9) . The SDJR version was no 45.

I'm pretty sure there was a tender drive numbered 46 too.

As always an interesting mix from Hornby (a mix of "great", "useful" "OK, I guess" and "what the....?") I'll certainly be ordering a GWR King (I can't really use on my layout [location/era sort of thing], but who cares) but I am disappointed that the only GWR coaching stock are (what seems to be from the photos) the rather long in the tooth clerestory carriages.

The BR Green 2-HAL could almost tempt me into modelling SR, but I can be strong.... :O The LMS suburbans are also very, very tempting.

My only somewhat negative criticism is that the the wagon fleet is still recycling the extremely elderly and by now surpassed 4-, 5- and 7- plank wagons (which when you think of it, is a bit schizophrenic. Something akin to one car factory producing Mercedes and Trabants at the same time). Thank goodness for Parkside Dundas, Cambrian and Cooper Craft.

iD

I personally think that this year's range lacks the 'wow' factor - the 'big ticket' items that will appeal not only to those for whom they are period/region-correct, but also to the 'ohh - that looks pretty' brigade.

That feels a bit harsh since the King and Adams Radial tank were the 'wow' factor products - (I know you mentioned the duplication issue in your post). I don't know that it's necessarily Hornby's 'fault' that there are announcements of duplicate products. CADs are clearly well along for these products.

I just hope their supply problems improve. They could do with some good news.

I Agree.

So I now understand - I think the problem actually therefore lies not with the model but the description as it is 'as preserved livery' rather than 'early livery'.  But to get all that right - as at least two of us on here  seemingly didn't - means a bit of careful thought about titling (I don't know how they describe it on their website as I can't find the new announcements there :O )

Currently titled "BR 4-6-0 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' 4073 Castle Class 2014" although I am fairly sure it didn't have the 2014 on there earlier.

...King..... I assumed this was going to be the ultimate. Hornby's LNER Pacifics and K1 have the correct and very characteristic 'flat and large' wheel centres. Driving wheels on a 'King' had bosses that stuck out some way from the spokes, all down to a more generous loading gauge than the other Big Four companies. If Hornby doesn't do it, the competition might!

They got that distinctive detail correct on the Castle with the elegant flare from the protruding hub to the plane of the spokes, to the great advantage of that model's appearance; and from some of the earlier photos it looks like the D16/3 will (correctly) have this feature too.

The specification list for the J50 suggests the standard chassis is the last thing Hornby have on their mind for it.

And as further confirmation the photo of the printed model very clearly shows the large assymetry in the wheelbase consistent with it representing the 7'3"+9' of the prototype. A very useful item indeed.

Well, after seeing what Hornby have to offer, I can only offer them my congratulations.

They have successfully eliminated any chance that I'll be spending any money on any of their products for at least the next 12 months.

...and so it begins. <sigh>

Nobody is interested in what I may have wanted. Even less is anyone interested in what I didn't get... I do hope this thread doesn't get too cluttered with pointless posts. Having said that, I've just made one. Oops.

How pleasant it is to read this thread with generally positive, and certainly pragmatic comments about the announcement, after the bashing and bitching that has sadly become the norm on other Hornby-related subjects.

I was thinking that, but I see the usual suspects are starting to creep in.

Where is the info on the B1 please ??

Just found it @ £156   :no:  :no: they having a laugh. Price is ludicrous , it is a existing model the bodies now cost pennies to make etc etc . No I won't be buying one either.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/steam-locomotives-packs/br-4-6-0-thompson-b1-class-apple-green.html

They are getting slatted for their prices on Facebook at mo too .

Thank you Hornby.  Thank you for not retooling your Class 87 electric loco.  No really, thank you.  The relief that another year passes where there is a chance it will be taken on by one of the competition is palpable.

Not sure if the graffiti coach is a modern day take on the maroon charter vehicle - if its from the 60s then its strange to think tearaways back then even knew what the word graffiti was let alone go out and deface railway property!   

Overall very happy.

As you were..............

Not a single thing for me this year. Bit of a shame.

I'm surprised there won't be more HSTs, and totally shocked at the prices of the Class 08s. Triple figures for a shunter? And £90 for the Class 91 which is nearly as old as me and featured in my first train set is a total joke.

Knowing it will be at the risk of many disagrees, I like the Mark 1 coach and its graffitti - on the basis that I model what I see/saw not how I would like it to be/have been. Each to their own?

On the other hand, the graffiti on the HAA was the wrong choice IMHO. It is too much of a "one off"?

What I find odd about the graffiti-ed HAA is that the graffiti looks more like a corporate logo than something that a teenager with a a spray can would do! 

Rather a lot I like in there - could be a very expensive year if Hornby deliver on time (I note R3203 Okehampton has slipped again - this time to Q4 of 2015) - having been a bit sharp about them once before over deliveries  I am (hypocritically and in hope!!) returning to be bitten (Bittern) again.

I note R3315 Fowler 2P is in main range but is not actually stated to be a Railroad model and the price is quite close to some of the newer high grade models - looking on the website it appears to have a cable to tender and possibly no fallplate, and there is just the hint of gear train between rear two tender axles  - does this mean it has not been upgraded  - is it just another version of the tender drive one that has been in the catalogue off and on over last few years - would be appreciated if someone with knowledge could advise.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Hornby persons that are railway minded. You did hear me bellowing S15 a few weeks ago.

Bude is also  helpful.

Some other things will be great for loads of folk; the J50 will help many I'm sure.

Now, can anyone link me to somewhere that  I can order the 72A, S15 fleet members?

Many thanks

P

I'd convinced myself I was pretty relaxed about this years announcement then couldn't help getting excited in the past couple of days as it got nearer!

All I can say is I'm glad there are still so many things from last years announcement still to come because todays was underwhelming. Seems to be an awful lot of steam or up to the minute diesel and electric with largely re-issues in the middle. Not much to get excited about here :(

£120 for a Class 08??? Ouch!! 

Just found it @ £156   :no:  :no: they having a laugh. Price is ludicrous , it is a existing model the bodies now cost pennies to make etc etc . No I won't be buying one either.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/steam-locomotives-packs/br-4-6-0-thompson-b1-class-apple-green.html

They are getting slatted for their prices on Facebook at mo too .

Price issues? Surely not, sneaking in on the Hornby website appears to be a Toad Brakevan for the grand total of... £3.60!

**Edit - Price mistake appears to have been noticed, 'Toad' is now £16.99

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/wagons/gwr-toad-brake-van.html

I'll say my main bit a little later when I've got more time on the PC, but can I just say Thanks to Andy Y for another detailed listing of Hornby's new range - Unlike Hornby's website, The RM Version is always better and easier to navigate and read, and it's great that this link up is still continues with CAD Shots and Pre Production Model Sample images despite what appears to be Hornby's slight retracting out of the public limelight at shows & exhibitions etc.

Is there any more information on the livery for King R3330 No 6000 King George V?

The Hornby website just notes it is "GWR", but that could be in anything from Great <CoA> Western, Great <Crest> Western, Shirtbutton, or G <crest> W.

Also noticed that Hornby stated it entered service in 1928, it should be 1927.

Archived