Oerlikon Stock Scale drawings

I have some drawings  unfortunately the card kit is a not long enough as I recently checked it out. Terry Tew (Earls Court) and I are looking at ways to potential  make an Oerlikon model this very earlier stages however the more people that are interested the greater chance that the project might get rolling.

I will  send you some outline drawings over the next couple of days

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

London Road Models can provide etchings (though they are a sight more expensive than the card kit, and you currently need to find castings etc yourself). There are possible developments ahead and I would normally point you to the LNWR Society Forum to stay informed, but that is currently defunct with the difficulties the Society is experiencing, so the most we can hope is that further news might appear here (unless the Society manages to sort itself out, not presently looking very likely). On vehicle length, the Motor car should be 57' and the trailer/driving trailer allegedly an inch shorter - given the emphasis the Premier Line placed on standardisation this seems surprising, but in 4mm scale it need not be a major concern.

• RMweb Premium

This cropped up recently and a number of very handy drawings came to light, including the ones already offered above.

I haven't worked out how to do a proper link to another thread but if you put LNWR Oerlikon Dimensions into the search box you will go straight there.

Tony

• Like 1

It is lack of detail drawings for the underframe and running gear that held up LRM producing those. The body etches were made available when, despite the lack of the other items, customers requested them. Despite requests for details and drawings over the years nothing was offered. That may have now changed and as LooseHead said, there may be some developments soon.

I have copies of quite a few Oerlikon Drawings which I cleaned up for Tony and Stanley Melrose however they old and still difficult to read.  I have the the London Road Models Oerlikon etches but still have the chassises etc to build.

I have been discussing this issue with Terry Tew and looking at ways to move forward with an Oerlikon project. I think the question is how accurate are people expecting the model to be as making some compromises may well reduce the time to produce a model bur may be unacceptable to some!

Sorry, I've only just found this thread. The drawings used for the card kit were the skinleys, which are still available, although at the moment I don't have the contact details to hand. I'll try to look them out later. Another set of drawings to 7mm scale were published in Model Railway News as lovely pull out spreads over three consecutive months in 1939 I believe. I have seen them, but I don't have copies.

There are a set of drawings which will be published in the forthcoming NLRHS history of Electric units on the North London and Watford New Lines. We are just working on final checking and sorting out all the copyrights before going to press. I daren't promise a publication date, as this job has taken years to put together, and almost as long to check, but hopefully it will not be long now!!

Hope this is of some use.

Charlie

• Like 1

Howdy do all.  The Historical Model Railway Society has a range of original drawings from Metropolitan Cammell, and I believe a number of modellers have picked up on these with at least one proposing to go to London Road to discuss - but whether that has taken place I don't know.  That was inferred in one of the other Oerlikon threads here on RMWeb, but I've been a  bit out of touch with the subject recently.

PS Charlie - I've pre-ordered the book - looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have bought a 4mm scale card kit for the Oerlikon stock, does anyone know  where one can purchase scale drawings for this stock?  Are Skinley still in business?

Hi

Railway World March 1960 has an article and plans that could be scaled.

regards, Mike

• 5 months later...

Just wondering. Is the book referred to, the one which has just been published? I had a quick look, and I think I must have missed seeing the drawings, otherwise I would have bought a copy on the spot. Wish I had re-read this thread before the weekend as I could have had another look at Manchester exhibition. No matter.

As  I was born near Rickmsansworth, I have an interest in anything local, but am now living in Accrington I am a bit far away to do local research. I am toying with the idea of a 3D printed model of the Oerlikon stock, as I have improving my 3D CAD skills over past couple of years, but have not done any standard gauge trains yet. I am possibly not the best skilled designer, but what I have done so far is not too bad, and others do like what I have produced so far.

Scale wise I am interested in many, and have managed to resize my designs for many scales, unlike many who seem to prefer to stick with 4mm scale. A gauge 1 model might be my preferred scale, assuming the 3D printing machine can cope with the length. A 4mm or 2mm scale model might fit my idea for a model of the Rickmansworth Church Street station though.

All I need now are some simple scale drawings and I can start(assuming I can fit it into my very busy life, alongside all the other models I would like to design). I use an online 3D printing service, which has a big advantage of not requiring any upfront money for equipment or materials.

3D printing might not be best method, but for me it is the least difficult. Combining laser cutting, silhouette cutting and 3D printing would be a good way to design what would then be a kit, but at the moment I feel more confident with 3D printing a complete coach body. 

Hi.

My exhibition layout is 'Earl's Court' which includes 4 rail tracks.

I have a GEC set (Dapol/Airfix Suburban coaches cut & shut etc.) plus a class 501 (modified 2-EPB)

(See ecmr.webs.com for more details)

I have been looking at the possibility of creating an Oerlikon set for some time.

I have obtained 7mm drawings which were included within the Feb/Mar 1939 issues of The Model Railway Constructor.

I have also collected many photographs of these units.....please note, there are variations/modifications to the units.

I have also visited York to take some measurements of the Motor Car there.

I have scaled the drawings to 4mm and re-drawn on the Silhouette Cameo software and I have just started to cut out the layers for the sides and ends.

I am using a modified 2-BIL chassis.

The roof will be from rolled brass.

I am hoping to complete all the cutting soon and may get a chance to do some assembly over the Christmas break.

I will post some photos over the next week or so, when cutting is complete.

If things go well I may well offer cut ends, sides and partitions for sale.

Terry

Just to say that Twickenham & District MRC have done a huge amount of research on Oerlikon stock and have produced their own 7mm etched 'kits' for their Addison Road layout.

I am not a member of the layout group but I do write their blog and I feel they may have some info that would be of help.

I will post photos later .... anyone wanting to contact the TDMRC Addison Road group can send me a PM

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering. Is the book referred to, the one which has just been published? I had a quick look, and I think I must have missed seeing the drawings, otherwise I would have bought a copy on the spot. Wish I had re-read this thread before the weekend as I could have had another look at Manchester exhibition. No matter.

As  I was born near Rickmsansworth, I have an interest in anything local, but am now living in Accrington I am a bit far away to do local research. I am toying with the idea of a 3D printed model of the Oerlikon stock, as I have improving my 3D CAD skills over past couple of years, but have not done any standard gauge trains yet. I am possibly not the best skilled designer, but what I have done so far is not too bad, and others do like what I have produced so far.

Scale wise I am interested in many, and have managed to resize my designs for many scales, unlike many who seem to prefer to stick with 4mm scale. A gauge 1 model might be my preferred scale, assuming the 3D printing machine can cope with the length. A 4mm or 2mm scale model might fit my idea for a model of the Rickmansworth Church Street station though.

All I need now are some simple scale drawings and I can start(assuming I can fit it into my very busy life, alongside all the other models I would like to design). I use an online 3D printing service, which has a big advantage of not requiring any upfront money for equipment or materials.

3D printing might not be best method, but for me it is the least difficult. Combining laser cutting, silhouette cutting and 3D printing would be a good way to design what would then be a kit, but at the moment I feel more confident with 3D printing a complete coach body. 

Simon,

I would be interested in some 2mm (N) sets.

I decided not to go for the London Road kits because I don't really like working in brass and the sides would need to be rolled very expertly to get the correct tumblehome. Also, the kit is £90.00 and doesn't included roof, underframe parts or bogies.

What sort of quality would be expected from a 3D model?

Can underframe, bogies etc. be produced?

What thickness would the sides be around the window area?

As you may gather, I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to 3D

Terry

It is still only an idea at the moment.  Most of the models I have so far done are locos and wagons, but I have attempted one diesel railcar. I want to try some coaches to see how I get on with the various curves.

Terry, to try and answer your questions.

Quality of finish is something that concerns some when it comes to 3D printing. Personally I am happy with the basic nylon plastic, but it is grainy. The harder and finer plastics do cost more.

In theory every part of model can be produced, but I tend to start with bodies(one piece including roof, and leave it up to others to see what they want underneath. For 4mm scale it may be easier to use propriety parts. Bogie sides are no problem. Difficulty can be different gauges used, for complete bogies or chassis. 

Plastic thickness can be an issue with smaller scales. Unfortunately it is not possible to 3D print totally clear plastic, so window glass is still a bit tricky. Etched brass has the advantage of being thinner, not obviously more skill to build. One reason I might myself prefer a Gauge 1 model is that it is easier to handle wall thicknesses. I normally work down to minimum wall thickness of 0.9mm , maybe 0.8mm, and even then the print process can make it slightly thicker or thinner. The print processing is getting a lot better.

2mm scale should be possible, but a lot of detail is lost, and thickness of coach sides is relatively thick. I have reduced designs down to Z scale. There are quite a few people doing 3D printed models for even smaller T gauge, and the better quality plastics are then worth while, as costs come down dramatically.

Having said there are minimum thicknesses , which can still be a bit thick, it is possible to get it thinner at edges, so am insert for glazing may be possible. A lot depends on ho accurate the interior is going to be.

One big advantage to 3D printing is that you can put most of your effort into the design, and then get someone else., or a company to do the printing. As 3D printing improves, then quality of the models improves. In theory I can use different companies to do the printing.

I aim to get most of the model designed, but not necessarily every little detail(although more detail can be included on larger scale models). Hopefully this takes care of the main construction, and a modeller can add the details. I have not tried anything for standard gauge, so even something like buffers could be left to the modeller as everyone has their own preferences.

London Road Models now have the patterns for the underframe components for their 4mm Oerlikon body/floor etches and I believe that the moulds have been commissioned.

Given the number of existing models and those likely still in cupboards, is it likely that the bogies will be available separately ?

I must admit I have another use for such bogies - 8' 9" is still hard to come by.

martin

Given the number of existing models and those likely still in cupboards, is it likely that the bogies will be available separately ?

I must admit I have another use for such bogies - 8' 9" is still hard to come by.

martin

Hi Martin,

I don't know, I stayed out of getting involved in the Oerlikon project as I was doing other stuff for LRM at the time it started up.

An email to the contact address on the LRM website will elicit a reply from John Redrup with the detail you want.

Jol