Oerlikon Stock Scale drawings

The original Siemens [and the later Oerlikon] stock were built as 3-rail, 3 car units with a corridor connection. This was removed from all these stocks in the late 1930s/early '40s - Hence the reason why the inner ends of the cars in the 3-car unit differ from the outer [driving] ends - although if you looked closely, the remains of the sealed up doorways were still present till the end - even after the conversion of the Siemens stock to 25kV OHLE.

I think I mis typed and meant flush sided, although the driving trailer has a flush non panelled end as well(and is 6in shorter)

• RMweb Premium

The original Siemens [and the later Oerlikon] stock were built as 3-rail, 3 car units with a corridor connection. This was removed from all these stocks in the late 1930s/early '40s - Hence the reason why the inner ends of the cars in the 3-car unit differ from the outer [driving] ends - although if you looked closely, the remains of the sealed up doorways were still present till the end - even after the conversion of the Siemens stock to 25kV OHLE.

Just a quick comment re the above. The Siemens stock was never converted to 25KV the units that were converted to overhead AC ran at 6.25Kv but 50 Hz. The Lancaster/Morecambe/Heysham lines were only insulated to that voltage. The insulators weren't changed. The big part of the test was drawing the power at 50Hz from the National Grid rather than the railway owned power station at Heysham at 25Hz. However a section of the line was used to test OHLE equipment design and the new gantries and posts out up on what the railwaymen called "The golden mile", were big enough tot take 25Kv.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

still waiting for glazing to dry off. I also find it tricky taking photos of small items. I still might up it to 1/148, just so it can run with standard N gauge. Partly depends on how well the chassis fits, but that is somewhere between Japan and the UK at the moment.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering, are the CDC Steet Level kits still available. The website is still runing, but I can't get a reply to an email about a kit that has not arrived yet. I know Charlie has another job, but thought someone was still looking after the card kit business.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Hi Folks,

Apologies. Susie is looking after the remnants of the card kit sales, but she's really not been well for a couple of months, and it's all gone a bit pear shaped. To be honest, I haven't had time or courage to brave the email mountain. I'll try to get into it over the weekend if I can.

Cheers

Charlie