Oerlikon Stock Scale drawings

I think that according to the review of the NLR book in Railway Modeller, that the drawings will be in volume 2. Is there a date for publication yet. No hurry, but I would not want to miss it. If it does include the drawings then I am more tempted to buy volume 1 as well.

I think that according to the review of the NLR book in Railway Modeller, that the drawings will be in volume 2. Is there a date for publication yet. No hurry, but I would not want to miss it. If it does include the drawings then I am more tempted to buy volume 1 as well.

Funnily enough I was reading NLR Vol 1 this afternoon - bought it at the Wigan Exhibition a couple of months ago. No drawings, but plenty of good photos of Oerlikon stock (and 501's etc) in this book. I reckon it's a must have if you are going to model this stock.

I will also look out for Vol 2 as I am interested in London railways (north & east of the Thames), though I don't model them.

Brit15

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Time to bump this up.

I am now thinking about building something in British HO. two reasons, one is it is different, and track is nearer to right gauge. Secondly is that Jack Nelson used to model LNWR in HO. Now given the link to these units, it seems this would be right scale to model it in. Just need some drawings to get started.

If I do build a model of a real station it is likely to be Rickmansworth branch, for personal reasons, and obviously these units ran there.

Is there any news on 2nd part of the book yet?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

just got hold of drawings of original LNWR units from HMRS.Still need the driving trailer detrails, but on checking photos there are differences between the first batch and the others. There are some small differences which I should be able to work out. According to HMRS website there might be some LMS era drawings, which mght help. Also the descriptions showing some units as 59ft long andothers as 60ft.

Possibly the biggest difference between first batch and the others , apart from the lack of paneling, is the engine compartment vents(I assume that is what they are), with3 blocks on original,and 4 on others. There do appear to be variations with windows at ends of coaches, so need to look through photos.

• Like 1

I have no recollection of these units, pity as I was born in Croxley Green, but moved away when I was only 4. I think they were still just about running then.

I do remember visiting Ricky a few years later with my mother, driving past the site of old station and did not realise it had been a station.

It is one reason why I want to have a model of these units.

• Like 1

just started on design work. Thought I would start with the  non motor driving unit. Had to start somewhere. Still some work to do on body. windows need some more work , and those bits on roof. Then there is a chassis frame. I was sent some photos of 7mm scale drawings, which had measurements written in. Assume those are correct.

Just to give an idea.

oelikon-coach-1.jpg

The roof is part of body, so no difficulty in trying to fit it. Fitting interior will therefore be a bit more difficult, but lesser of the two evils.

• Like 3

just started on design work. Thought I would start with the  non motor driving unit. Had to start somewhere. Still some work to do on body. windows need some more work , and those bits on roof. Then there is a chassis frame. I was sent some photos of 7mm scale drawings, which had measurements written in. Assume those are correct.

Just to give an idea.

oelikon-coach-1.jpg

The roof is part of body, so no difficulty in trying to fit it. Fitting interior will therefore be a bit more difficult, but lesser of the two evils.

What scale is this?

Original is in 7mm/ft, as drawing measurements are for that, so I can then just half it for HO. This is advantage of using software with built in re-sizing option. It was a big advantage having measurements on drawings as it cut down time to get this far, which was less than 3 hours. Some changes to windows, adding top lights, then chassis frame. I am considering leaving the roof as is, and producing the sticking out bits(?) separately. Design wise they would be done separately initially then added to design, but drawings are a bit unclear with respect to exact locations for all of them. Also leaving off bits such as handrails as theseare easy to do with wire, and may mean I can get it printed polished without losing any detail.

Not sure about interior yet. Should be possible to cobble something up, as photos are pretty clear, but interior is less important for me at the moment. It may be standard LNWR design, but not sure.

Thickness of printed plastic might be a problem for smaller scales. Pity it is not possible to print comletely clear plastic yet. It might be possible to vac form. With care my HO model will look OK with glazing strips.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks great.  I've got a lot of photos of the stock that ended up at Lancaster.   Out of interest what CAD package are you using.  I can do 2D Cad but am struggling to get my head around 3D.

Jamie

• Like 1

The CAD  package  used to be called Alibre, now called Geomagic Design. You can get a 15 day free trial to download. I managed to learn enough using the tutorial ,but you do need the time. As I had to upgrade computer, I had to get a second version, but it is only about £400 including VAT, no extras to pay,but is a single user license.

This coach design is relatively simple for me and does not strain the software and computer too much, but some push both to the limit. I only use the tools I  need to use. There is a lot else I need to learn, which does limit me sometimes, although I have found ways around some . That is part of the fun, and is more like programming to me, having spent many years in IT.

• Like 1

always a good idea to check photos. I had asumed coaches were symetrical, but noticed in photos of preserved unit that the drivers's door was further forward on opposite side to drawings.Presumably because of some piece of equipment inside, but it does seem odd that on 3 corners(the driving trailer unit is symetrical), there is no side window. Driver can only see forwards.

Also can anyone explain why the motor unit has a panelled front but the trailer unit is flush ended.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

designs for bodies done. just waiting for them to be 3D printed. I plan to build chassis myself. Might look to see if I can design seating etc for 3D printing , assuming I can find some scale drawings. The odd length of the driving trailer, just does not make sence.

Started getting books on lines these unit ran on. Although my main project is HO, I am tempted to get one in OO , and maybe see what these units would look like had they survived into BR blue era, having seen photos of the Altringham compartment stock in blue. It would be nice to have one in LMS livery, but that lining , well beyond me, but was this maintained during the war years or was it in effect simplified. The stock got modified during this period, was it repainted?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 3D printed models of the Oerlikon coach bodies are now done, and I have received my HO versions. Tempted to get some of OOgauge ones, but would prefer to finish building the HO version.

just photographed painted coaches. Will need a bit of touch up, but this gives an idea
oerlikon-emu-set-ho.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Glazing the windows is sonething that has been putting me off finishing these, but I have been trying some liquid glazing, and for the smaller windows it looks fine. Will also use it to fit in thin plazing in bigger windows.

It has got me thinking of doing a 2mm scale version, as the thickness of the plastic will not notice when glazed using the liquid stuff. Resizedone of thecoaches to see if any problems, and none. Leaving holes for the roof light tops as it is probably easier to just add blobs in right places. For a powered chassis, one of the Japanese N gauge ones looks IOK, and is very reasonable in price, and should be able to use some old GF coach underframes for the other units.

• Like 1

Nice looking prints. It's probably a bit late, but I might be able to help with any more info you want, such as interiors. My club has several etched brass 7mm versions running on Addison Road, mostly in early LNWR livery or LMS so won't reflect any later variations. The team spent ages researching these before committing the brass to acid. Happy to pass on any questions.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91730-twickenham-mrcs-addison-road-kensington-olympia-in-7mm/page-7#entry2660227 where there are several pics and some info.

Regards

Steve W

www.tdmrc.org.uk

Also can anyone explain why the motor unit has a panelled front but the trailer unit is flush ended.

The original Siemens [and the later Oerlikon] stock were built as 3-rail, 3 car units with a corridor connection. This was removed from all these stocks in the late 1930s/early '40s - Hence the reason why the inner ends of the cars in the 3-car unit differ from the outer [driving] ends - although if you looked closely, the remains of the sealed up doorways were still present till the end - even after the conversion of the Siemens stock to 25kV OHLE.