Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

There's quite a story about tender swapping on the S15s, starting when the Lord Nelsons were introduced. I'll see if I can post chapter and verse later (not from the Irwell book although that presumably has it). From Salisbury and Exmouth Junction they needed the 8-wheel bogie tenders (Urie and Maunsell flat-sided types) for the long distance freight work, and the Arthurs on the Eastern section got the 6-wheelers. Possibly the S15s got the 6-wheelers late in life when all the survivors migrated to Feltham (working from memory here).

I like the quirkiness of the modern looking Maunsell locos with the older Urie tenders.

• RMweb Gold

There's quite a story about tender swapping on the S15s, starting when the Lord Nelsons were introduced. I'll see if I can post chapter and verse later (not from the Irwell book although that presumably has it). From Salisbury and Exmouth Junction they needed the 8-wheel bogie tenders (Urie and Maunsell flat-sided types) for the long distance freight work, and the Arthurs on the Eastern section got the 6-wheelers. Possibly the S15s got the 6-wheelers late in life when all the survivors migrated to Feltham (working from memory here).

I like the quirkiness of the modern looking Maunsell locos with the older Urie tenders.

Hopefully if Hornby decide to do the Urie S15's, we could see the Urie 5,200 gl tender, as well as the existing 4,000 gl Drummond Watercart tender.

• Like 2

I wish Hornby well with the correct loco to tender pairings! The subject is as 10800 posts quite a story, I spent a considerable time producing a spreadsheet of all the combinations to get my head round it but it still hurts!!!

I think only one S15 30847 ran with a King Arthur style 3500 gallon 6 wheel tender. From 1936/7 833-837 had 4000 gallon 6 wheelers that were essentially a flat sided version of that paired with the Schools some of which were originally allocated to Nelsons then ran with Arthurs before being transferred.

The original Southern S15 tender was the 5000 gallon bogie that was an updated version of the Urie tender produced by Hornby for the Arthur. The main visible difference being cut outs on the bogies. Only the first five stayed with S15s, the next five fitted with auxillary vacuum reservoirs went to Nelsons then Arthurs being replaced with standard Urie 5000 gallon 8 wheelers. All the rest had the flat sided bogie tender though 833-837 lost theirs to Nelsons and had Urie tenders before the 6 wheelers. 833 appeared to try one of each type of tender including a watercart before its 6 wheeler but then swopped that for a Schools version in 62!

The locos themselves are much simpler with only a few variations.

Feltham was my local shed so looking forward to the model in later BR condition along with some of the different tenders.

Graham

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to at least one. In the 80s I used a Sir Dinadam body on a Hornby Fowler 2-6-4 chassis. It was paired with an Airfix Shools tender. The top of the sides had been straightened. Nice looking, but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Sold to a colleague and was destroyed in a house fire.

I've a Kitmaster schools kit at the ready.

Hopefully if Hornby decide to do the Urie S15's, we could see the Urie 5,200 gl tender, as well as the existing 4,000 gl Drummond Watercart tender.

You realise Sir that I have avoided buying the Irwell tome on the subject of S15s and must now pre-empt a rush on the title so I can know all about the variations and nuances of these models. On top of buying several examples of the model, if and when it is finally delivered. :)

This is one model i will be getting a few of, Have not really brought much Hornby stuff over the last year or so, but these i will.

Just need someone to do a RR Z class next.

Darren

Edited by darren01

This is one model i will be getting a few off, Have not really brought much Hornby stuff over the last year or so, but these i will.

Just need someone to do a RR Z class next.

Darren

Me too - a few S15s are needed to haul my fast freights.  

As to the Z, even though manufacturers seem to be going for the unusual these days, however obscure, I would almost place a bet on not getting an RTR Z during my lifetime! Which reminds me, I must retrieve the partly-built Jidenco Z Class that has been in my 'too difficult' box for something like 20 years and see if I can revive it. That is, if my nerves and patience can stand the experience….

You realise Sir that I have avoided buying the Irwell tome on the subject of S15s and must now pre-empt a rush on the title so I can know all about the variations and nuances of these models. On top of buying several examples of the model, if and when it is finally delivered. :)

If that book sells out, there is always the Kingfisher book by Peter Cooper on the Maunsell (sic) S15s, if you can find one.  I don't know when it was published, but I bought mine in 1986 (a snip at £2.75, I might add)! Contains lots of information about tenders and tender swaps.

It gives a bit of info about the Urie versions and origins but, as the title implies, not much.

(Edited to add the comment about tender info)

Edited by olivegreen

Hello  and a happy Christmas to one and all,

I have ordered the early emblem S15 which currently means that it will come with the flat sided Maunsell 8 wheel bogie tender.

I have been trying to determine which loco had what tender type.

In my 1950 ABC I found the following info---

TENDER TYPE 26--6 wheels-   13 feet   wheelbase-4000galls---30833-30837

"               "    28---8 wheels-   14 feet 6 inches "    -4000 "     ---30504-30510   were these Drummond watercarts?

"               "    35---8 wheels-    19 feet               "   - 5000 "    ---30823-30832   were these the Maunsell 8 wheel flat sided bogie type?

and- --30838-30847

"               "    37---8 wheels-    19 feet               "    - 5000 "    ---30496-30503

and---30511-30515   were these the Urie 8 whheel bogie type? 

Also how variable were the loco/tender combinations?

I summise that my loco will be in the "tender 35" lot?

PS    Also buying the recently announced Bude with the cut down tender with a view to swapping for  the high sided version.My model era is 1954-58.

I will then use the cut down 4500 gallon tender to go behind Combe Martin (renamed etc from Dorchester)

Does any one know when Combe Martin received the later B.R emblem?

Thankyou for any responses,

regards,

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Hello  and a happy Christmas to one and all,

I have ordered the early emblem S15 which currently means that it will come with the flat sided Maunsell 8 wheel bogie tender.

I have been trying to determine which loco had what tender type.

In my 1950 ABC I found the following info---

TENDER TYPE 26--6 wheels-   13 feet   wheelbase-4000galls---30833-30837

"               "    28---8 wheels-   14 feet 6 inches "    -4000 "     ---30504-30510   were these Drummond watercarts?

"               "    35---8 wheels-    19 feet               "   - 5000 "    ---30823-30832   were these the Maunsell 8 wheel flat sided bogie type?

and- --30838-30847

"               "    37---8 wheels-    19 feet               "    - 5000 "    ---30496-30503

and---30511-30515   were these the Urie 8 whheel bogie type? 

Also how variable were the loco/tender combinations?

I summise that my loco will be in the "tender 35" lot?

PS    Also buying the recently announced Bude with the cut down tender with a view to swapping for  the high sided version.My model era is 1954-58.

I will then use the cut down 4500 gallon tender to go behind Combe Martin (renamed etc from Dorchester)

Thankyou for any responses,

regards,

Ed

It should be from the 30838 - 847 number range (847 gained a N15 6 wheel tender in May 1960 off 30805 Sir Constantine)

With regards your WC renamings it will be easier to swap Loco Bodies as Bude when it should be the later type with the mounting holes in a different place and permanently coupled, your Dorchester donor will not be. You'll have to alter the cab lining on both too, as well as swapping a few bits over from Bude to Dorchester (AWS Battery Box and speedo) - isn't too difficult.

Combe Martin had one of the first cut down tenders as early as 1952 and carried a different lining style to the later style adopted when cutting down of tenders resumed around 1958.

• RMweb Gold

Combe Martin had one of the first cut down tenders as early as 1952 and carried a different lining style to the later style adopted when cutting down of tenders resumed around 1958.

Yes the green was carried down to the bottom of the casing on the cab (so no black panel) and panel was lined out to match (see page 37 of Irwell Press's The Book of the West Country and Battle of Britain Pacifics for a nice picture of Combe Martin showing this alternate lining)

Lining was altered later on.

• RMweb Premium

"Bude" in late BR is a welcome addition to the range - as it's a late survivor (early '67) it means another hole in the wallet!

I'm almost relieved no one's announced a U as well!

Totally unloved, light pacific number 43 was Bournemouth's worst member of the class, with a reputation of being a poor steamer, and, in it's last days, normally kept for the least important workings- usually S&DJR work. But getting back to the S15, I thought Hornby were going to release just the Mansell, sorry-Maunsell, version ??

Totally unloved, light pacific number 43 was Bournemouth's worst member of the class, with a reputation of being a poor steamer, and, in it's last days, normally kept for the least important workings- usually S&DJR work. But getting back to the S15, I thought Hornby were going to release just the Mansell, sorry-Maunsell, version ??

There was me thinking if I'm headed up the S&D I might need a good steamer........

Back to the S15, allegedly designed to allow future production of Urie versions if successful, which it certainly will be.

• RMweb Gold

There was me thinking if I'm headed up the S&D I might need a good steamer........

Back to the S15, allegedly designed to allow future production of Urie versions if successful, which it certainly will be.

If they do, I hope no-one moans about the joggle in the running plate thinking it's distorted - it's supposed to be like that!!!

TENDER TYPE 28---8 wheels- 14 feet 6 inches " -4000 " ---30504-30510 were these Drummond watercarts?

Correct

" " 35---8 wheels- 19 feet " - 5000 " ---30823-30832 were these the Maunsell 8 wheel flat sided bogie type?

and- --30838-30847

In 1950 30823-27 had Southern 5000g and 828-832 Urie 5000g bogie tenders, only 838-847 had the flat sided 5000g bogies. All were built with Southern 5000g tenders but they came in both flared(823-832) and flat sided(833-847) variants.

" " 37---8 wheels- 19 feet " - 5000 " ---30496-30503

and---30511-30515 were these the Urie 8 wheel bogie type?

Correct

Graham

If that book sells out, there is always the Kingfisher book by Peter Cooper on the Maunsell (sic) S15s, if you can find one.  I don't know when it was published, but I bought mine in 1986 (a snip at £2.75, I might add)! Contains lots of information about tenders and tender swaps.

It gives a bit of info about the Urie versions and origins but, as the title implies, not much.

(Edited to add the comment about tender info)

No publication date in the book but ISBN is 0 946184 08 9

Hope I have not offended anyone but here is a link to the Nine Elms website with details the "Black Sheep Pacifics", namely 34011, 34043 and 34065, all of which were poor steamers and all of whom had some modifications which may have made them so. Apologies to those who may have seen this but very interesting all the same.

http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/top.htm

• RMweb Premium

Hope I have not offended anyone but here is a link to the Nine Elms website with details the "Black Sheep Pacifics", namely 34011, 34043 and 34065, all of which were poor steamers and all of whom had some modifications which may have made them so. Apologies to those who may have seen this but very interesting all the same.

http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/top.htm

I guess it's no coincidence that those three were AFAIK the first light Pacifics to be withdrawn. I had always assumed that they were just in need of heavy overhauls. As a bad steamer, 34043 must have been a nightmare on the S&D!