Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

"..............I guess it's no coincidence that those three were AFAIK the first light Pacifics to be withdrawn. I had always assumed that they were just in need of heavy overhauls. As a bad steamer, 34043 must have been a nightmare on the S&D!......"

That may well be a fair assumption. 34043 was the first to be withdrawn (along with 34055) in June 1963 and was the first to be cut up. The others lasted a little longer but not that much (34011 withdrawn in Nov 1963 and 34065 in April 1964). There is a book which shows 34043 being cut up at Eastleigh. Think it was in a Kevin Robertson publication "Scrapping the Southern" but with a house extension about to start my railway room is now so full of c**p as a storeroom I cannot access any books. Suspect these three may have been got rid of on the merest excuse.

• RMweb Premium

"..............I guess it's no coincidence that those three were AFAIK the first light Pacifics to be withdrawn. I had always assumed that they were just in need of heavy overhauls. As a bad steamer, 34043 must have been a nightmare on the S&D!......"

That may well be a fair assumption. 34043 was the first to be withdrawn (along with 34055) in June 1963 and was the first to be cut up. The others lasted a little longer but not that much (34011 withdrawn in Nov 1963 and 34065 in April 1964). There is a book which shows 34043 being cut up at Eastleigh. Think it was in a Kevin Robertson publication "Scrapping the Southern" but with a house extension about to start my railway room is now so full of c**p as a storeroom I cannot access any books. Suspect these three may have been got rid of on the merest excuse.

I have a pic in one of my books which shows 34043 (minus rods) wearing 34055's smokebox door, possibly being used after withdrawal for steam raising at Eastleigh - ironic as it was such a poor steamer!

I have a pic in one of my books which shows 34043 (minus rods) wearing 34055's smokebox door, possibly being used after withdrawal for steam raising at Eastleigh - ironic as it was such a poor steamer!

Probably it steamed ok (better than the usual semi-scrap 0-6-0 generally found on that kind of duty), provided you didn't expect it to haul itself and a train along as well...

A bit OT again - with 34006 Bude being produced in 2015 I wonder if we will see 34057 Biggin Hill appearing later this year or early 2016 given that the 50th anniversary of the S&DJR closure comes on 6th March 2016?. I saw these two pull specials on the 5th March 1966 when a friend and I did a day trip to Templecombe. Only time I went north on the S&D. Did plenty of trips southwards (not much mileage though from Bailey Gate to Broadstone).

Although the S15 was a goods engine it was also used on passenger trains and all the S15s were eventually painted in SR lined green. BR painted them black.

Indeed so Robin, but they weren't too popular with the crews as they could be rough riders at speed, and the tender had a tendency (?) to oscilate at speed, making the firemans job that much harder, I heard that from both Clive Groom, and Rueben Hendicott.

Correct

In 1950 30823-27 had Southern 5000g and 828-832 Urie 5000g bogie tenders, only 838-847 had the flat sided 5000g bogies. All were built with Southern 5000g tenders but they came in both flared(823-832) and flat sided(833-847) variants.

Correct

Graham

Graham  --thankyou for your detailed response ref S15 tenders--it is now much clearer.

happy christmas,

Ed

Graham  --thankyou for your detailed response ref S15 tenders--it is now much clearer.

happy christmas,

Ed

Graham---one further query---quote--in 1950 30823-30827 had "Southern"5000 gallon--what do you mean by Southern?

Urie flared or the flat sided--were the latter Maunsell build?

thanks,

Ed

Graham---one further query---quote--in 1950 30823-30827 had "Southern"5000 gallon--what do you mean by Southern?

Urie flared or the flat sided--were the latter Maunsell build?

thanks,

Ed

Southern as in post 1923 Maunsell era. The first batch built for 823 to 827 were identical to the flared top Urie tenders except for arched cutouts on the bogies(see Bachmann Lord Nelson) and pedestal hand brake. Technically Maunsell built Urie tenders! Flat sided tenders commenced with 833.

Graham

Hi

To clarify the situation further.  30833-30837 were fitted with flat sided 4000g 6 wheel tenders in 1937 and retained these through BR days. These tenders were similar to those fitted to the Schools but did not have the turned in top edge.

Roger

Also see post #21. :sungum:

I think you will find it was the other way around.  I visited Eastleigh shed and works in Decembetr 1963 and 34055 was in the works yard and parts of 34043 were noted out the back where the cutting was done, at the end of that road alongside the works where a few others were waiting their turn, including 34035 and 34074. 34055 was used for static boiler testing or something like that, with 34043's smokebox door in place.

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find it was the other way around.  I visited Eastleigh shed and works in Decembetr 1963 and 34055 was in the works yard and parts of 34043 were noted out the back where the cutting was done, at the end of that road alongside the works where a few others were waiting their turn, including 34035 and 34074. 34055 was used for static boiler testing or something like that, with 34043's smokebox door in place.

You're quite right Mike - I found the photo in question, it is indeed of 34055 wearing 34043's smokebox door, not the other way round!

It's my age, you know.........

• 2 weeks later...

Difficult to order as Hornby are still not saying which particular S15s they are giving us, just early/late BR and SR.

From what my supplier has told me,the early BR version has the flush straight side Maunsell bogie tender whilst the later BR version has the Urie bogie tender as supplied to the N15.Hope this assists with your choice.

From what my supplier has told me,the early BR version has the flush straight side Maunsell bogie tender whilst the later BR version has the Urie bogie tender as supplied to the N15.Hope this assists with your choice.

Thanks. At this stage it would be conventional to commit to some running numbers, unless they plan to release them without numbers. which would please many buyers.

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm, as I did on my blog here http://grahammuz.com/2014/12/17/Hornby-2015-range-announcement-from-an-srbrs-perspective-sees-an-s15-and-adams-radial/ the following variations:

R3327 SR Maunsell lined olive green livery with Urie Bogie tender
R3328 BR early emblem livery with Maunsell flat sided bogie tender
R3329 BR late emblem livery with Urie Bogie tender

As soon as have been advised of the actual running numbers I will post accordingly.

It is interesting to note that there has been some variation in the livery combinations being reported by the modelling press, including incorrectly SR Black and BR Lined Green versions, but I was advised of the above combinations directly by members of the Hornby design team, whom I am currently assisting, following correspondence to clarify items post the press day at Margate 

• Like 2