Hornby announce 'K-type' 1928 Pullman Cars

Andy Y

1928 build steel 'K-Type' Pullman cars saw their initial service on the East Coast routes, some of the East Coast Pullmans transferred to trains on the Southern Region after the introduction of the MetCamm Mk1 Pullmans but I think the only one of this batch that ran on the Southern was the Kitchen First 'Loraine'

R4661%201%20-%20%20%20Pullman%20Third%20

R4661%202%20-%20%20%20Pullman%20Third%20

R4662%201%20-%20Pullman%20Third%20Class%

R4662%202%20-%20Pullman%20Third%20Class%

R4663%201%20-%20%20Pullman%20First%20Cla

R4663%202%20-%20%20Pullman%20First%20Cla

R4663%203%20-%20%20Pullman%20First%20Cla

R4664%201%20-%20%20Agatha%20-%20%20Pullm

R4664%202%20-%20%20Agatha%20-%20%20Pullm

The models are at the livery sample stage and Hornby commented that the umber needs adjusting to match previous Pullman models before production.

R4660  Pullman Third Class Kitchen Car- K-Type Pullman Car   £49.99

R4660.jpg

R4661  Pullman Third Class Parlour Car - K-Type Pullman Car   £49.99

R4661.jpg

R4662  Pullman Third Class Brake Parlour Car - K-Type Pullman Car   £49.99

R4662.jpg

R4663  Pullman First Class Kitchen Car - K-Type Pullman Car   £49.99

R4663.jpg

R4664  Pullman First Class Parlour Car- K-Type Pullman Car   £49.99

R4664.jpg

• Like 16

Not sure why Andy thought only Loraine went to the Southern Region?

According to Antony Ford, Agatha was also there by 1961 along with nine others. Several more were transferred later in the 1960s.

I much prefer grey for the roof, though. Is it white or silver in the pictures.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Forester

I had also missed the fact that that both Lorraine and Agatha were transferred to the Southern Region for use on the Bournemouth Belle in 1961. I have also updated my blog post accordingly.

What about the Pullman cars that ran on the GWR in 1929?

The ones built for the Torquay Pullman service were K-type but with white cantrail and panels, but published photos show that there were some older ones used as well. Some of the photos may actually be the contemporary Plymouth boat trains rather than the Torquay Pullman.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

• RMweb Gold

Good opportunity with these new coaches to release a seven coach Queen Of Scots set perhaps with a suitable pacific to haul it.

Don't know if that's too long for too many people though.  Most sets seem to be limited to three coaches.

Good opportunity with these new coaches to release a seven coach Queen Of Scots set perhaps with a suitable pacific to haul it.

Don't know if that's too long for too many people though. Most sets seem to be limited to three coaches.

eek... nice but @ £50.00 each pricey

• RMweb Gold

eek... nice but @ £50.00 each pricey

Yes, but people seem to be buying sets like the Great Goodbye and today's newly-announced set of four silver A4s.

Perhaps Hornby could throw in a loco for free if you save seven Pullman tokens? :locomotive:

Speaking as someone who is totally bewildered by all of the various permutations of Pullmans that Hornby have released in the last few years, here's a question.

Andy mentioned that these were displaced on the Eastern Region by the BR Met-Cam Mk1 Pullmans, but IIRC some of the older brake coaches were retained on ER because of the absence of Mk1 Pullman brakes- I'm thinking of photos of trains like the 'Master Cutler' comprised of Met-Cams combined with the older-style brake coaches (Mk1 BGs also being used).

With the article in the current Hornby mag on Pullman train formations in mind, where the 'Cutler' in 1962 behind the Brush prototype 'Falcon' is one of the examples illustrated, are these the correct Pullman brakes to use with the Met-Cams for the early 60's period?

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news about the release next year of suitable Cars for the Queen of Scots at long last.

I would appreciate clarification from those who are well up on the details of the Pullman Cars as I am not.

I see from the Hornby photos that the 3rd. Class Cars have "Third Class" included in the number panels .From checking up in the K Type Pullman Profile Book No. 3 by Antony Ford today, it would appear, according to the photographs in that book and in others, that this inclusion was in the panels only in the immediate post war years but by the early 50s thereafter for the decade the"Third Class" notation was dropped and only the number is present. I have checked up my individual photos as well and the number only seems to be the case.   

If this is correct it would be advisable for Hornby to have only the Car number in each panel to suit their A4s and A3s which they presumably want to tie in to these Car sets as modellers would require them to match up with the locos.

Hopefully some of you will have the answer.

• RMweb Gold

The " K type " Pullmans that Hornby have just announced - were coaches to this series ever used in the consist of the " Golden Arrow " during the B.R. steam / diesel transition period the late 1950 / early 1960 period?

Sorry no, as stated above of the five being produced only Agetha and Lorraine were transferred to the Southern Region in 1961 and were used on the Bournemouth Belle.

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone is confused about these carriages; Andy does mention this in his initial text, but these new ones are the all steel K type.  They are an up to date replacement and expansion of the old Triang-Hornby ones currently in the Railroad range and are primarily of interest to LNER and eastern region modellers.  The other Hornby Pullmans are the standard K type and largely applicable to Southern modellers.

Since Pullman carriages were generally not owned by the railway companies some carriages were moved around over the years.  This and detail differences like the shape of the Pullman crest, colours of panels, carriages rebuild from 1st to 3rd class, renumbering/renaming etc. mean it is a minefield if you want to model a specific era.

Does any one know whether it is possible to produce an accurate 1929 White Pullman using Hornby's Pullmans.

I know that Keen sell a conversion for the earlier 1st class parlour cars but the range is limited and cannot produce the 6 coach formation.

Regards

Brian Patterson