Hornby announce 'K-type' 1928 Pullman Cars

Andy Y

From the latest Engine Shed...

Pullman_Group_1.jpg

Pullman_Lights2.jpg

oullman-comp.jpg

And if you look closely to the bottom right hand picture, you'll see one of my scanners doing its thing.

What the engine shed post doesnt mention is the fact that we were unable to get the coach out of the shed on the day due to operations in the yard at BBRW. So I had to scan her where she was. On one side we had what I would describe as adequate clearence, but the other side was very tight indeed... and sadly no means of getting some height to get the roof. It was actually as a result of this that I decided to buy the big telecsoping surveyors tripod as seen in the Stirling Single images and videos from earlier in the year, that allows you to have the scanner set as high as 6 meters!

Fortunatly, Hornby's designer knows his stuff and managed to use the info from what was captured and his photo ref to nail the roof.

All I need to do now is decide if I need more pullmans for the Garden Railway... I do appear to have gone a little Pullman Crazy a few years back and already have about 30! But these ones are bloody nice. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

And no surprise coaches that we didn't know about attached to the back of engines and that perhaps Hornby hadn't intended to reveal

Just to clarify the "cat out of the bag" Engine Shed post and video with glimpses of the SR 58ft coaches was intentional as the announcement was planned for the following Monday

• Like 1

Rather handy that Hornby have produced 4 of the 7 cars required for a 1930s queen of Scots. One car has the wrong name, but could be renamed (Loraine), so that takes us to 5/7, then just the addition of another 3rd brake and a 3rd kitchen both of which would need remembering, and you'd have the full set. Only downside is the £350 cost, but otherwise full marks to Hornby for a cracking looking product, ideal for LNER people like me! For reference the running order for a QoS service would be: 3rd brake, 3rd kitchen, 3rd parlour, 1st k, 1st p, 3rd k and 3rd b. According to Banks and Carter in LNER passenger trains and formations.

From 1924, B3 locos were used, changing to C1s from about 1927. Pacifics were used from about 1936. Hope this helps.

Reason for edits: spelling errors due I think to the iPad...

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From all descriptions, these coaches have "Extensive interior detail". Does this mean that they have more internal detailing that the previous Pullmans? Be interesting to find out

• RMweb Premium

Yes, a D16.  The same LNER liveried one Hornby list as coming in August.  Could just be a pre-production locomotive but interesting nevertheless.

That picture has been around for a while. It's not a sign that D16 is imminent, although it may well be

Please forgive me if this has already been covered: am I correct in thinking the current release of Pullmans are in LNER condition? If so, have Hornby indicated whether they are going to do a run of these Pullmans in 1950s BR condition?

Please forgive me if this has already been covered: am I correct in thinking the current release of Pullmans are in LNER condition? If so, have Hornby indicated whether they are going to do a run of these Pullmans in 1950s BR condition?

no they haven't. Interested in seeing them though.

Yes they are in LNER condition.

Yes they are in LNER condition.

Wouldn't the named coaches be suitable up until 1960, as the crest is the pre 1960 version and afaik the scrolls for the names remained the same. The 'Third Class' coaches would not be suitable post 1955 approx, when BR removed the 'Third Class' from the coaches leaving them as 'Car No --', but I'm hoping that 'Agatha' and 'Loraine' are suitable for BR up till 1960 period. Grateful for advice.

• RMweb Gold

Unless someone more knowledgeable can correct me my current understanding is as follows.  These notes only relate to the cars in the livery Hornby are doing for this first release.

72 - LNER.

73 - LNER.

79 - LNER.

Loraine - Initially GWR.  Transferred to SR in 1931.

Agatha - LNER.

Unless someone more knowledgeable can correct me my current understanding is as follows.  These notes only relate to the cars in the livery Hornby are doing for this first release.

72 - LNER.

73 - LNER.

79 - LNER.

Loraine - Initially GWR.  Transferred to SR in 1931.

Agatha - LNER.

Thats what I have in LNER Passenger trains and formations.