Virney Junction - Scenery ongoing

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-39096500-1485373957.jpg

That's the fence problem resolved (I hope)! I think there's a reasonably clear view of where the tags will be on the wagon bodies. I'll have to try fitting a couple and see how they look.

Next the Water Tower idea.

An initial attempt to create a round tower today stumbled when I tried to curve embossed plastic card even though I tried warming it in boiling water. It probably didn't help that I was trying to taper it towards the top of the supporting column. I think I'll also struggle with a round tank. The problem in both cases is that it is difficult to access the rear of the structure - the pipe's in the way - and I don't want any join to be at the front. I also want to be able to remove it fairly easily if I can.

I'll try making a square/rectangle one tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ironically a water infection has resulted in a lack of progress on the layout over the past few days.

An Internet search for Water Tower images has revealed a wealth of shapes and sizes with round and its various derivatives outnumbering square & rectangle designs quite significantly. Height also seems to vary although I'm struggling to get some idea of the possible height range.

There are several that are brick based - I suspect stone construction would have been unlikely locally - with a variety of designs for the brickwork. Some are quite ornate and way beyond my modelling skills to replicate.

Surprisingly, most of the brick ones seem to have windows in the tower and few have the tank itself clearly visible. I think I'd need to have a visible tank if I built one for the layout to avoid questions relating to the purpose of the structure.

I'll knock something up and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. The infection disappeared quite quickly but I took it easy for a couple of days so that I didn't miss out on visits to the club later in the day! 

I found some oddments from Wills kits and have made a start on the tower. I'm finding problems in keeping the structure rigid as it is only three sided so that it can be fitted around the gas pipe and removed as required.

It hugs the gas pipe as I don't want something so large that it overpowers all around it. That leaves little room to fit any strengthen corner braces.

I haven't helped myself by gluing two sides together before I cut the window openings in them. Whose a Silly Billy?

I hope to have something to show tomorrow if the job our daughter has lined up for me doesn't take too long.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I didn't quite make "tomorrow".

I'm now on the third generation of the tower although I'll admit the first was a 3mm thick foamboard carcass that got no further than the three tower walls before I realised that by the time the window openings had been cut - I'll ignore the access problems that would have caused as I'd glued it altogether - the walls would have been over a scale foot thick before the window frames were fitted. Oh, and yes, it was too small as well.

The second version was based on the remnants of a Wills bridges and abutments kit. I'd initially thought I'd use parts of a girder bridge for the tank but then opted for a brick outer skin using one of the bridge parapets cut in three. This limited the size of the tank to the extent that it had no strength in it. The tower itself was made from Wills embossed sheets from the kit but there wasn't enough left for the height of the tower to exceed that of the nearby cottages.

The third version has reverted to the use of the girder bridge parts for the tank and Slater's embossed plastic card for the tower. It is substantially complete. The windows need "glazing" and misting so that the room light - which is present because the tower has a non existent fourth side to fit around the gas pipe - can't be seen through the windows. Parts of the tank need painting and the whole structure wants weathering.

I'll risk saying that that's tomorrow's job(s).

(BTW daughters job - fitting a couple of shelves - only took an hour including getting there and back. She then decided she wanted two more, went and bought them, borrowed my drill, bit & spirit level and fitted them herself).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-14521900-1485806453_thumb.jpg

post-10059-0-63374200-1485806464.jpg

Here's what I ended up with. The "back" of the tank which is just visible in the first image slots into the floor of the tank to hold it in position and saves having an open rear. The door to thee tower is "presumed to be" at the back of the tower. I haven't provided any permanent access to the tank from below as it is (again, presumed to be) of a height where a ladder could (just) be used (or the access is also on the rear).

The platform seat in the second image must be all of 40+ years old and a badly painted part of the Airfix platform accessory kit. It will be replaced in due course.

The next job is to do something with the dwellings, the end of which is just visible in the first image. I've based their size on the Scalescenes terraced houses as the only thing like it that I have to hand to take dimensions of. I'm thinking that cottages might be a bit smaller but am not sure where to find some to base the size on. Can anyone help?

• Like 8

attachicon.gif300117_1.jpg

attachicon.gif300117_2.jpg

Here's what I ended up with. The "back" of the tank which is just visible in the first image slots into the floor of the tank to hold it in position and saves having an open rear. The door to thee tower is "presumed to be" at the back of the tower. I haven't provided any permanent access to the tank from below as it is (again, presumed to be) of a height where a ladder could (just) be used (or the access is also on the rear).

The platform seat in the second image must be all of 40+ years old and a badly painted part of the Airfix platform accessory kit. It will be replaced in due course.

The next job is to do something with the dwellings, the end of which is just visible in the first image. I've based their size on the Scalescenes terraced houses as the only thing like it that I have to hand to take dimensions of. I'm thinking that cottages might be a bit smaller but am not sure where to find some to base the size on. Can anyone help?

That looks excellent Ray, and a whole load better than just the Pipe, well done.

• RMweb Gold

As Andy said, that is so much better. You'll be able to photograph without the pipe showing, and even when looking, the tower makes it easier fir the eye to pretend that there isn't anything rising out of the top. The slot in tank back just adds to the illusion. Very well done.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif300117_1.jpg

attachicon.gif300117_2.jpg

Ray,

I'm really pleased that the water tower idea works. I think it looks perfectly suited to the surrounding site and landscape. It is also very effective at its real purpose of removing the pipe from the mind when looking at the model as a whole. Some really good work there!

Edited to add that I originally assumed that a round tower would be better to hide the pipe, but looking at the result I think that the fact that it is square acts almost as an interference camouflage hiding it from the mind even better than something that kept the same shape flowing through.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile I've been pondering over what to do at Buckinhum

post-10059-0-31746400-1486055113.jpg

post-10059-0-39407900-1486055124.jpg

The two images above show what has been there (in mock-up form before anyone asks !) for some time. The idea is to try and disguise the sharp curve and disappearance of the running line to Banbry whilst at the same time provide a further legitimate location to shunt the odd wagon to. Again, the covered nature of the unloading bay made it impossible to see the tag on the wagon thus requiring the wagon to be temporary extricated by hand to view the tag at the start of a session. There was also only room for a single wagon to be unloaded.

The "road" at the left-hand side of the bridge provided access to the Goods Shed. The road up from the station would climb up at the back of the layout to the bridge deck level to continue onwards at the other side of the bridge.

post-10059-0-31722800-1486055137_thumb.jpg

The above image shows the track layout minus one of the two earlier (mock-up) buildings and the bridge - the white plastic pieces were used to locate the bridge

post-10059-0-67072200-1486055146.jpg

post-10059-0-43673900-1486055157.jpg

This is my latest thinking. The bridge now carries the main (through) road which the station approach road will join as before at the back of the layout. The access to/from the Goods Shed will now be at ground level and off the front of the layout not too dissimilar to the yard exit at the junction station.

The taller building now has an external loading/unloading "platform" that can take two wagons.

The other building has been positioned to give the impression that the running line continues all but straight on (or even curves to the right) rather than curve relatively sharply to the left under the building to end up in Banbry's fiddle yard.

The foreground opposite the two buildings will be an embankment dropping down to rail level. I have yet to decide what to put in the void between the running line and the back scene in the "corner". It can only be seen from certain angles and may well be yet another embankment, probably retaining the same height against the back scene and dropping down to track level. There will probably be a selection of trees on it as well.

The buildings will probably remain in place for a while in their current form in case I come up with any other ideas.  However, I may complete the bridge sooner rather than later as it is not secure and liable to collapse if accidentally knocked.

• Like 4

Meanwhile I've been pondering over what to do at Buckinhum

attachicon.gif020217_1.jpg

attachicon.gif020217_2.jpg

The two images above show what has been there (in mock-up form before anyone asks !) for some time. The idea is to try and disguise the sharp curve and disappearance of the running line to Banbry whilst at the same time provide a further legitimate location to shunt the odd wagon to. Again, the covered nature of the unloading bay made it impossible to see the tag on the wagon thus requiring the wagon to be temporary extricated by hand to view the tag at the start of a session. There was also only room for a single wagon to be unloaded.

The "road" at the left-hand side of the bridge provided access to the Goods Shed. The road up from the station would climb up at the back of the layout to the bridge deck level to continue onwards at the other side of the bridge.

attachicon.gif020217_3.jpg

The above image shows the track layout minus one of the two earlier (mock-up) buildings and the bridge - the white plastic pieces were used to locate the bridge

attachicon.gif020217_4.jpg

attachicon.gif020217_5.jpg

This is my latest thinking. The bridge now carries the main (through) road which the station approach road will join as before at the back of the layout. The access to/from the Goods Shed will now be at ground level and off the front of the layout not too dissimilar to the yard exit at the junction station.

The taller building now has an external loading/unloading "platform" that can take two wagons.

The other building has been positioned to give the impression that the running line continues all but straight on (or even curves to the right) rather than curve relatively sharply to the left under the building to end up in Banbry's fiddle yard.

The foreground opposite the two buildings will be an embankment dropping down to rail level. I have yet to decide what to put in the void between the running line and the back scene in the "corner". It can only be seen from certain angles and may well be yet another embankment, probably retaining the same height against the back scene and dropping down to track level. There will probably be a selection of trees on it as well.

The buildings will probably remain in place for a while in their current form in case I come up with any other ideas.  However, I may complete the bridge sooner rather than later as it is not secure and liable to collapse if accidentally knocked.

Some good work there Ray, I prefer the last image, but not sure about the Mock Up's in the first pic, there better than my FINAL MASTERPICES, hahhah

Looking very good mate.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

I'm glad you like the last image Andy as the previous (corrugated card) buildings have gone for re-cycling although I've kept the original bridge for the time being.

I'm not looking forward to "doing" all the windows in the latest buildings though.

• RMweb Premium

And so it came to pass that I was visited by a friend last Friday morning for a (layout) running session - this was the first operating session since three other colleagues plus me did likewise at the beginning of January.

We managed to get just over half way through the 95 (or so) move timetable on Friday, running it as a sequence rather than as a timetable. There was minimal shunting - the wagon fleet is depleted at present because over half of it still needs its weathering completed and I've taken those vehicles off the layout for the time being.

Lunch then club brought Friday's session to a close.

I managed another twenty of so moves against the clock on Saturday - by which time trains were running about 5 minutes late. This equates to more than 30 minutes late in real time as the timetable covers 24 hours in just over 4 hours of real time. This allows me to use a conventional clock (except that it has an on/off button so that I can stop the clock if I want a break).

I finished the timetable off yesterday morning and managed to recoup all the lost time solely because the last few moves are each several (real) minutes apart. I also resorted to some crane shunting to get the freight loco at the right end of one train!

I barely had time to breathe! At one point I had three trains moving each on a different throttle. That's OK until you forget which throttle which loco is on. A consequence of this was that the stationary 3 coaches and 2-6-2T in Buckinhum's platform where pushed the length of the platform by the Heljan 4-wheeled railbus!

The schedule was designed with (at least) two operators in mind. There were problems keeping the freights to their (sequence) slot when there were four of us working the layout but I put this down to the fact that we were running it as a sequence without allowing any time between passenger trains for shunting. Now, having run part of it against the clock I can understand how this happened.

I spent last evening tweaking the train times so that I only have one train on the move at a time and allow a minimum of a minute between consecutive moves anywhere on the layout. This forms the basis of an OPO schedule. I've managed to keep it to 4 hours but have done so be removing all the odd minutes between movements many of which could have been used for shunting.

I shall have another run through against the clock on my own in this state - temporarily omitting any shunting - to see how that works for I suspect I may now have gone too far the other way and will frequently be kicking my heels waiting for time for the next scheduled movement.

• Like 4

Welcome to world of timetables and actual clocks!

I'm pleased to hear you are ironing out the glitches. I am on Version 8 of mine. These are not rewrites as such, just tweaking the details and some minor timing issues. 

We have only ever been through 2 and a half days of timetable, but then I have 289 running line train movements (including daily variations, but excluding station movements and shunts) covering a 19 hour day (5am till midnight). We run at a speed of between 1.5x and 2x real time (depending on the operators), so it takes between 9.5 and 12.5 real hours of operation to do a Buckingham day. 

I wouldn't worry about a few real minutes wait every now and then. If its anything like us, that is valuable time to correct something you did wrong or missed out when under pressure earlier. There is always some loco in the wrong place etc. We find if you think you have got a bi of time to yourself, you have probably missed something or you are about to be so busy you wish you had looked ahead on the timetable.

Let us know how this pans out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

Blimey, you do make things hard for yourself, don't you?  This is supposed to be fun, not cardio training ......

I fully understand and aspire to the need for a realistic timetable to structure operations, but surely it's good enough to run the sequence without wearing the hair shirt of running it to a clock, either in real or scale (whatever that is - let's not explore that any further :no: ) time?  Especially when you're on your own.  Once you've fiddled and set up your semi-fast passenger, let it run for a few circuits so you can admire it passing your 40 wagon coal train in a number of different locations, then stop it in the station and, assuming it's the 10.27, real time is now 10.27 (unless you're modelling Southern Railway in 2017 of course).

Frankie said relax .....

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chimer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the comments chaps.

Unfortunately after an almost forty year working life that involved either scheduling electric moles or working with the computer system that they used for the purpose, my life revolves around the clock - ask SWMBO & daughter!

Anyway, having gotten my teeth into tweaking the timetable - it lives in a spreadsheet - and finding I'd been a bit too ambitious with some of the timings I went for it and did a major update. This included set periods when the only movements will be shunting. I've even made a concession to single person operation by recognising that the clock can be stopped for a while. This will enable the two yards to be shunted independently but concurrently within the allotted time slot if there are multiple operators but consecutively with the clock stopped for part of the time if I'm flying solo.

The updated schedule has stretched to 5 hours but having now run through the first forty or so minutes, I appear to have been a bit too generous with some of the run times. Mind you, that' better than the other way round but it may reveal that there is scope to get the total time back down again.

Why am I keen to do this? I can produce multiple versions of the timetable that are basically the same save that each is (for example) four hours later than the previous version. This avoids having to alter the clock at the end of each session.

I can use each timetable to represent a different day of the week if I can get back to the 4 hour time frame (6 x 4 hours =  24 hours). I can then tweak the versions to include for example, market day trains and the like. I might even thin out the day six (Saturday) timetable so that it only takes 3 hours, leaving me a 1 hour window for a very restricted Sunday service.

I'll be back to report on progress.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I managed a further hour's running last evening.

I found one blip that definitely needs attention - note to self to allow time in the timetable for locos to run round before the next move is expected to start.

The session specifically included more complicated shunting at the smaller station where the layout is more straightforward. I'd split the shunting allowance there into 2 equal periods separated by the passage of one train. I think at least one period needs increasing but that may be because I had a few problems with the Kadees not doing as required.

I'm hoping to get time to run a bit more today.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's not much in the visible department to report on.

Amid a number of model related tasks, some for me - decoder mapping - and some for club - improving the servo mounting - I have finally managed to fit the tags to the wagons.

The tags measure 8mm x 1.5mm and are printed in multiple on an A4 size sheet of adhesive labels before being trimmed to size.

Affixing to wagons began by using a sharp scapel blade to try to separate the tag from the backing paper but I gave that idea up when the trailing edge of the blade produced a red colouring from the top of one of my fingers as I tried to stop the scapel from dropping to the floor!

I then discovered that I could separate the two by holding the tag with a pair of tweezers and bending/loosely fold the label. Aside from being safer it also took a lot less effort.

The wagons had been previously and reasonably randomly sorted into five groups:- 1. Wagonload vehicles, 2. Smalls, 3. That for one private siding, 4. That for the other private siding and 5. stock that wouldn't realistically be seen in any of the "siding" space on the scenic part of the layout. Examples of the latter are a Presflo, a hopper wagon, five oil tanks and numerous coke wagons. I labelled up the first four groups, equally randomly and left the 5th group alone for the time being.

My intention was/is that wagons from the 5th group could justifiably be sent via the scenic part of the layout to either of the two off-stage yards - the long siding/Aylesbury and Banbury.

Some could form a block train/trains which would excuse the lack of wagon tags. Such trains would run infrequently.

The problem is the odd wagons. I only want to have one tag colour applicable to a specific destination during the same operating session. This rules out mixing fixed -  for a specific destination - and variable colours.

I'd had a few problems with the tags not sticking securely to wagons initially but thought that I'd overcome that. However, the longer they have been left, the more that the labels have started to peel at the ends. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if the wagons were to stay on the layout but they will be removed from the layout and turned each time they return to the fiddle yard thereby substantially increasing the risk that the tag will be dislodged.

Perhaps its time for yet another re-think.

• RMweb Premium

Ray

Could you not paint variable colours on the side of the wagons, that way you will not have an issue with having to replace these fiddly little critters when they become detached.

Jim

Thanks.

I've tried to keep any tag adornment removable so that it can be changed if the idea doesn't work or if the wagon ends up being sold.

Another idea I had was to press the tag on and then immediately give it a quick spray of varnish and hope it holds the tag in place. That option - and the use of tacky wax (if I can find where I put it!) or similar - are still under consideration. I just need to crack the problem of tagging those wagons destined for the off-site part of the layout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-44517100-1488381838.jpg

The railway staff at Virney Junction have now gotten their proper cottages - and the local farmer has dropped a few churns at the station ready for collection by the next available service.

A (Wills) bus shelter and telephone box have also just appeared (at the rear of the signal box).

The signal shown is, alas, still the Ratio item that was put there temporarily a few weeks back. The station's eight signals (or at least some of them) are near the top of the list of jobs remaining to be done.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Amongst the things that we found whilst tidying up before some recent decorating was an odd sheet of backscene left over from a previous layout. I pinned it to the current plain blue (painted) backscene to see what it looked like.

post-10059-0-80858600-1493494726.jpg

I didn't trim the margins in case it didn't make an impression. However, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I need to re-stock and use these all around the layout as it seems to give the whole area a different atmosphere.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently recovering from a groin hernia repair operation and have stored up a few reasonably simple tasks around the layout to while away my time until I feel able to do more. One of those tasks is to make a start on the signals. I pre-ordered all the kits required and having cleared a few other tasks off the bench tried to decide which signals to tackle first - we'll overlook the fact that the very signal that I planned to build first (for the junction station) is the only kit I forgot to order!   :no2:

Anyway this got me thinking that I could possibly enhance the layout without making any track alterations by the simple expedient of adding a second platform to the junction station. I thought that I might need to lift the short (exchange) siding in order to accommodate the platform but having measured up I find that I can keep the siding and have the platform. It will even be long enough to take a three coach train - the longest that I run.

post-10059-0-47563500-1493496143.jpg

My current thinking is that the line to "Aylesbury" will revert to being a normal single line instead of a freight only long siding and it will be served by DMUs. This makes more sense than the current arrangement because although they're perceived to come from (and go to) different places off the scenic area, both DMUs and hauled stock which invariably chase each other around in the timetable run over the same tracks on the scenic section.

I would plan to use the "new" platform as bi-directional for the DMUs but uni-directional for the hauled services with the original platform also becoming uni-directional.

Fortunately I'd planned to have working shunt signals with the original layout design so all I think I need to do is to convert some of those signals to conventional running signals and I can even get away without needing to re-arrange the lever frame! It will also avoid me having to make too many 4mm (working) shunt signals!

I'll have a fence at the back of the new platform (and a small waiting shelter) and passengers will be expected to cross the line using the barrow crossing as they did on several of the stations in the area for many years. They can also leave the station along the "road" that provides vehicular access to the goods yard.

• Like 2