Lego - not just an interlocking brick

During the construction of some of my buildings, I needed something to help me as a 'third hand'. I decided to raid my son's Lego box and this proved very helpful. I ended up measuring the bricks and what do you know..., they are perfect for OO scale measuring/measurements, in the aid of spacing card and styrene.

Here is a pic of quite a few individual bricks with the 'scale' measurements below each.

post-14327-0-59012700-1418512466.jpg

Here are some of the ways I have used the 'very versatile' bricks...

post-14327-0-74762700-1418512552_thumb.jpg

^ As a brace for holding up models...

post-14327-0-16509400-1418512716_thumb.jpg

^ As a square...

post-14327-0-50919200-1418512881_thumb.jpg

^ As a spacing tool for studs and noggins... Just don't glue the Lego to the styrene or card ! :wink_mini:

Cheers, Gary.

During the construction of some of my buildings, I needed something to help me as a 'third hand'. I decided to raid my son's Lego box and this proved very helpful. I ended up measuring the bricks and what do you know..., they are perfect for OO scale measuring/measurements, in the aid of spacing card and styrene.

Here is a pic of quite a few individual bricks with the 'scale' measurements below each.

attachicon.gifLego measuring tool for OO scale modelling RMweb.jpg

Here are some of the ways I have used the 'very versatile' bricks...

How long before an enterprising trader makes up a special pack of the required blocks and labels them as building spacers?

attachicon.gifDSCN0194 re-sized.jpg

^ As a brace for holding up models...

attachicon.gifDSCN1224 RMweb.jpg

^ As a square...

attachicon.gifDSCN3960 X.jpg

^ As a spacing tool for studs and noggins... Just don't glue the Lego to the styrene or card ! :wink_mini:

Cheers, Gary.

Glad the secret's finally out. I'm guilty of building a few retaining walls and bridge piers out of the stuff... sprayed with Plastikote Tan Suede Touch paint and suitably weathered, it passes for concrete sections and beams. My daughter has a couple of giant pink "girlie" Lego storage boxes full of bricks and as she grows out of it, I keep pinching it...

Edit: Spot the Lego...?

post-17811-0-21692300-1418548327.jpg

Ah! It is not just me then. Lego is excellent for 00 scale buildings. I have just tried some experiments so far but as long as your building dimesions are multiples of lego bricks why not construct an interior carcase and clad the walls with your choice of finish. Advantages are the verticals are vertical, the corners are square, the sides are straight etc etc. The only disadvantage is they cost money!

goods shed and station building gable ends + dormer window

post-815-0-27804700-1418550763_thumb.jpg

Poundshops have a much cheaper alternative. It's probably not as precise - Lego are proud of their precise tolerances.

(Nicking the kids' Lego is the cheapest source of all of course!)

The abutments of the girder bridge on my U.S. layout are made of Lego...... Temporary --> permanent

Glad the secret's finally out. I'm guilty of building a few retaining walls and bridge piers out of the stuff... sprayed with Plastikote Tan Suede Touch paint and suitably weathered, it passes for concrete sections and beams. My daughter has a couple of giant pink "girlie" Lego storage boxes full of bricks and as she grows out of it, I keep pinching it...

Edit: Spot the Lego...?

attachicon.gifmanorroad_037.jpg

Here it is...

post-14327-0-93787300-1418583591.jpg

Excellent. Nobody but a serious Lego builder could spot it... :mosking:

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

How very obvious, once pointed out. A real DUH! moment, when I think of how many times I've wanted to keep a partially built structure square.

And my daughter has boxes of the stuff.

Thanks, excellent idea.

Al.

Hi,

What a fantastic idea - and so useful.

I think many 'serious' modellers will be very grateful for your post.

Thank you sincerely.

Regards

ps

How I regret that all my children have know grown up.

However next summer's car boot sales will hold another attraction - you often see tons of the stuff at pennies.

He is the one who builds.

Anyway yes, it seems like a good solution for "Third hand" or holding pieces together at a 90 degree angle, but if I remember Lego is moulded from ABS so I'd try not to get the MEK too close to it.

Archived