Invacar (Thundersley Ltd),,,,, Broad Clyst & area, Devon production

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Can anyone confirm if there is a 4mm model available, kit or RTR, of the (in)famous 3 wheel Invacar? 

post-2326-0-56652700-1418549583.jpg

There was a small 'factory'/production facility in the Broad Clyst area I think , east Devon until the mid 60s. That is unless they were brought down to BC from Axminster (can't see why that would be?)

Thank you,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

And AC cars Thames Ditton shipped them out by rail as well, although I don't know if the railhead was Surbiton (using the Motorail dock? ) or Hampton Court? I'm sure I've seen photos of them on lowfits at Feltham.

Also this is one of my favourite photos - a pair on lowfits bringing up the rear of some Interfrigos into March yard. http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/3816531335/

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1

I think Invacar were an offshoot of the Greeves motorcycle business, founded by Bert Greeves, who were based in Thundersley, Essex. A Villiers two-stroke under the bonnet and hand controls methinks. If so, can't think why they would have had a production unit so far away from their base unless there was some form of subsidy or incentive. Hope I've got this right!

• RMweb Premium

I'm just going to look at the pics I have of some at a loading dock...Broad Clyst I think now rather than Axminster. 

Yes it was actually Broad Clyst where, of course. was also the Sleeper Depot with DS1169 as the shunter for the Engineers

Mike, how do I contact Dave? Mail sent via their website.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Back to the OP. No models of either the Invacar or the AC version (the dark blue ones) are available.

I recall the normal distribution of them was by rail. Not suitable for long distances, and most car transporters could not handle 3 wheels. My father had a couple over the years and I recall them being delivered by B R to the house from the local goods yard. Offloaded with 3 planks.

Merf.

• Informative/Useful 1

I remember these back in the 1960's . Working in a garage we had a few come in for a service . All in light blue some only ran on Batteries fitted under the seat .Think it was about 8 of them . I remember getting the job of topping them up with water.

• Round of applause 1

Bert Greeves built his initial Invacar for one of his employees Mr Derry Preston -Cobb. Greeves motorcycles used various power units, mainly Villiers but also British Anzani, an up and coming rider named Reg Everett badgered Bert to produce a racing machine rather than the scramblers which the company was famous for and that machine spawned the 250cc Silverstone and 350cc Oulton and I believe the Silverstone won the 250cc British Championships in 1964.

• Like 1

Bert Greeves built his initial Invacar for one of his employees Mr Derry Preston -Cobb. Greeves motorcycles used various power units, mainly Villiers but also British Anzani, an up and coming rider named Reg Everett badgered Bert to produce a racing machine rather than the scramblers which the company was famous for and that machine spawned the 250cc Silverstone and 350cc Oulton and I believe the Silverstone won the 250cc British Championships in 1964.

I hankered after a Silverstone but ended up racing a Cotton Telstar with a 6-speed AJS box - very competitive against the rice burners in open racing until either the need to turn a corner or brake ..... Sounds like we're back talking about the Invacar!

• 6 years later...

Here's an video of a model 70 going from Wales back to Essex where it was built. It was a little on the "sick" side but new old parts were bought for it and they transformed it. The owner then gets it to 70mph down a hill on a dual carriageway. The top speed of the cars was actually 82mph, a frightening thought in something so flimsy. Both cars shown once belonged to HubNut but TWC's engine was knackered so TPA donated it's engine to TWC and Zel bought TPA and took another engine from another Invacar to get TPA going. TWC retains the original Invacar seat but TPA has been fitted with a Citroen BX seat which as HubNut mentions in the video is a lot more comfortable. HubNut thought that TWC was the one to get going as it was in much better condition externally than TPA and that is very clear in the video photo. Zel is spending time on trying to get the fiberglass body back to what it was originally when he isn't repairing the old motor. As HubNut says these car were designed for disabled people to go to the shops, library or the doctor. They weren't designed for idiots to take on long road trips even though they are quite capable of doing it. I beg to differ for with a top speed of over 80mph they must have been designed for longer journeys and motorway running.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And now its 7 years  later and Oxford diecast are going to do one at some time in the future.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/ac-invacar-pale-blue-76inv001

Pedantically, they don't, I think we've been waiting 12 months or so since it's announcement.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pedantically, they don't, I think we've been waiting 12 months or so since it's announcement.

Mike.

Blame covid, that's the usual excuse these days, even here and we don't even have any covid.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2021 at 14:58, faulcon1 said:

Here's an video of a model 70 going from Wales back to Essex where it was built. It was a little on the "sick" side but new old parts were bought for it and they transformed it. The owner then gets it to 70mph down a hill on a dual carriageway. The top speed of the cars was actually 83mph, a frightening thought in something so flimsy.  

Hurrah for Twc! Part 2 of the video is even sillier.

• Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Those Invacars had engines provided by Steyr Puch of Austria. essentially the same engines that powered the Steyr Haflinger 4x4 cross country vehicle, and, I think {?} the same engines Steyr fitted to their version of the FIAT 126 [built by Steyr in Austria under licence from FIAT]...[Might even be a similar engine Steyr fitted to their version of FIAT's 500, the Steyr-Puch TRII, which went like shy-toffee-shovel....

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 14:58, faulcon1 said:

The owner then gets it to 70mph down a hill on a dual carriageway. The top speed of the cars was actually 82mph, a frightening thought in something so flimsy.

Cannot be any flimsier than any motorcycle, methinks?

• Friendly/supportive 1