Uk semaphore and modern aspect signal photos.

class"66"

Ive been making few "LMS" Ratio 4mm signal kits,

and wanted to make some different styles of samphores.

Though it would be good idea to have picture thread on all types of uk signals..

For modelling ideas...

Here are few of my photos ...

post-10160-0-27316500-1418618028.jpg

post-10160-0-70651000-1418618059.jpg

post-10160-0-61411500-1418618114_thumb.jpg

post-10160-0-12800900-1418618139.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You find almost everything around Shrewsbury - from ERTMS on the Cambrian line you come into the station within view of upper quadrant, lower quadrant and colour lights. Just a few miles towards Crewe and you find brand new LED "searchlight" colour lights.

If I may tag along with this thread, as a O tinplater I have the usual Hornby signals which most will be familiar with and the one that always bothers me is the yellow Distant Junction signal.   Was there ever such a thing?  The taller main line one; fair enough but what about the smaller turn out signal?  How useful is that?

Brian.

Hi Brian,

The distant junction signal would be placed an appropriate distance before a home (red-and-white-arm) junction signal to provide advance warning of the route to be taken.  The taller doll refers to the higher speed route at the junction.   Distant junction signals were deemed to be potentially unsafe (if the driver misread the diverging arm being "off" for the main arm and continued at higher speed...) and the last one in the UK disappeared a number of years ago.   I don't know if this was in response to an accident?

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I don't know that splitting distants were considered unsafe - The modern railway has colour light splitting distants so they haven't disappeared as such and flashing double yellow/flashing yellow are also acting as splitting distants.

Splitting distants were used when the junction had routes which carried a minimum of 40mph over the diverging routes. Junctions where the divergences carried a less than 40mph restriction would normally only have a single arm, and this would only be cleared for the high speed route.

The LNWR would often provide distant signals for all routes ahead, even slow ones (with the arm being fixed) but the LMS soon removed these as they were unnecessary, a single arm at caution being sufficient. 

Splitting distants were quite common at one time, generally when the distant was replaced by a colour light the splitting part was lost, however Chinley North Junction retained splitting colour light distants until the box was replaced by a panel in 1980.

• RMweb Gold

The reintroduction (in modern signalling) of splitting distants and the use of flashing yellows, plus more recently PRIs (Preliminary Route Indicators) have all been related to trying to avoid excessive reduction of speed for trains taking divergent routes at a junction or running junction.

Earlier splitting distant practice - especially in the Pre-Group era, varied considerably between the various Companies but some measure of (within Company) standardisation took place during the Grouped era although various differences continued into BR days although the information given by Beast represents what would seem to have become the most common approach (and - without checking them - was probably what was shown in the standard Signalling Principles).

Incidentally the taller doll on any splitting semaphore signal (Stop or Distant) does not refer to the higher speed route but to the Principal Route and the relative elevation of arms on dolls relates to the relative importance of routes and not to speed.  And other oddities could exist, for example many years ago a former colleague of mine had a picture of a splitting Distant on, I think,the CLC where the higher arm was Fixed at Caution while the lower one, for the less important route, was a worked distant! 

However the modern advance methods of signalling divergences such as the new splitting distants and flashing aspects are related to speed differentials.

You find almost everything around Shrewsbury - from ERTMS on the Cambrian line you come into the station within view of upper quadrant, lower quadrant and colour lights. Just a few miles towards Crewe and you find brand new LED "searchlight" colour lights.

Thanks for the info.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that in photo 2 with the maroon 37 you have upper and lower quadrant signals on the same track, and relatively close together.

I would have said that was quite unusual.

Where was the location of the photo?

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon,

Dorrington - hth

• RMweb Gold

An interesting splitting distant was the one on the Up Main at Aynho Jn. This could be cleared for either the Bicester or Oxford routes when it was a semaphore signal. When a colour light distant was provided it could only be cleared for the higher speed route which was to Bicester (70mph IIRC). After the end of the Snow Hill expresses most traffic went via Oxford which was the lower speed (40mph). My answer to this was to impose a blanket 40mph speed through the junction for either route which then enabled the signal to be cleared for Oxford-bound trains. This meant that Didcot MGR trains were not checked as they knew they had the road if the distant was at green.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting splitting distant was the one on the Up Main at Aynho Jn. This could be cleared for either the Bicester or Oxford routes when it was a semaphore signal. When a colour light distant was provided it could only be cleared for the higher speed route which was to Bicester (70mph IIRC). After the end of the Snow Hill expresses most traffic went via Oxford which was the lower speed (40mph). My answer to this was to impose a blanket 40mph speed through the junction for either route which then enabled the signal to be cleared for Oxford-bound trains. This meant that Didcot MGR trains were not checked as they knew they had the road if the distant was at green.

Standard GWR principle for splitting distants - both routes had to be a minimum of 40mph in order to have a splitting distant.  As a result almost all of the not very many GWR splitting distants (after they had been heavily rationalised post c.1912) were at physical junctions however there was one for Didcot East Jcn, under Moreton Cutting's Down Main Starter, which was a three way splitter as it applied to both the Main to Relief running junction and the physical junction immediately in advance of that to the Avoiding Line (and yes, somewhere, I have a photo of it - taken not long before it went the way of all good things back in the 1960s).

Thus Wootton Bassett West also had a splitting distant for the junction (one of not very many on the GWR after c.1920) and when MAS came along the WR duly installed a splitting colour light in rear of the junction.  But someone noticed it and it was never commissioned as it contravened the then Signalling Principles.

• RMweb Premium

New St station before rebuilding had a lovely mix of signals for platform starters

Upper quadrant both full size and miniature, lower quadrant and also a couple of colour lights.

See the Warwickshire Railways site for pictures.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Some (to me) new signals I have never seen before in this clip. Lit white arrows alongside / on top of coloured (green) banner repeaters, and splitting banner repeaters.

Be vigilant, your doing 100mph & they're easily missed !!!

Brit15

There are quite a few of those green banners on the slow on the wcml now between stafford and crewe as the lone speed has been increased to 100 from norton bridge to crewe

The first 'white arrows', actually called 'preliminary route indicators' i ever saw were aproaching coventry to tell you if you were going into the slower speed platform, they have since added them at the likes of birmingham international and aynho jn

Bescot stadium on the down has splitting green banner repeators!

• RMweb Gold

Some (to me) new signals I have never seen before in this clip. Lit white arrows alongside / on top of coloured (green) banner repeaters, and splitting banner repeaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_YnD0O8Ku0

Be vigilant, your doing 100mph & they're easily missed !!!

Brit15

Interesting to see a co-mounted banner repeater and PRI - thanks Jim.

Archived