Uk semaphore and modern aspect signal photos.

class"66"

Note the protective netting on the signal at Brereton Sidings. This was fitted prior to the abandoning of the Walsall - Rugeley electrification in a budget cut c1963/4.

And are the signals electrically lit? The lenses look like the slightly "bulgy" focussed types for higher visibility..

JF

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they were intensified lights. It was common to find these on mechanical signals at the fringe to MAS on the LMR at that time, especially a semaphore Home signal following a run of colour lights or a Distant signal reading up to a colour light Home.

That signal was the Down Starter towards Rugeley Trent Valley. The fixed distant arm was the Inner Distant for Colwich (previously for one of the Rugeley boxes). The Disc read to Rugeley 'B' Power Station. Originally it had two stencils, the first connection being to Lea Hall Colliery.

A few more heritage shots (taken either whilst on official business or from a public area)

A couple more from Forders

post-14887-0-74330100-1425123438.jpg

post-14887-0-54719600-1425123467.jpg

Fenny Stratford

post-14887-0-26878400-1425123509.jpg

More from Brereton Sidings

post-14887-0-03862600-1425123820.jpg

post-14887-0-65809700-1425123641.jpg

post-14887-0-85482300-1425123667.jpg

And finally for now Church Stretton

post-14887-0-25580800-1425123696.jpg

Andy

edit to get photo right way up and edited again after Fenny Stratford confirmed below

• RMweb Gold

The Church Stretton one is extremely interesting - for a couple of reasons.  From a signalling viewpoint the oddity was that the stop signals at the advance end of the station platforms in both directions had (?have still) sighting boards and while the one in the pic makes obvious sense the other was not so obvious as it was a bracket mounted UQ arm which would be clearly visible against the sky (and of course it had an LMR pattern sighting board compared with the GW one at the other end.

But in many respects far more interesting is what lurks in the pc posted above and is visible in the distance to the left of the Down Inner Home Signal as a dark upright stalk like shape.  It was still there in 1992 (and possibly later of course) and was the upright part of a standard GWR water column - a remarkable survivor. 

Church Stretton was abolished about 12 years or so ago I think.

At the time the signalbox was of more interest to me than the signals so this is the only shot I took. I wish I had taken more now. I really should have gone up on the bridge for another view.

I think the photo was taken around 1993 but I can't be sure. I did have my own transport then (rather than borrow the family car so it's more likely to be from around that date)

I also recall visiting Craven Arms on the same day.

Andy

Archived