Uk semaphore and modern aspect signal photos.

class"66"

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any thoughts on where and when the very last semaphore signal on Network Rail will be decomissioned?

That question has many ramifications, particularly to the army of signallers out there. Apparently the dates of commissioning new signalling systems keeps changing, possibly because of manufacturers not being able to keep up, or a lack of installers. 

A question that cannot be answered, I'm afraid.

That question has many ramifications, particularly to the army of signallers out there. Apparently the dates of commissioning new signalling systems keeps changing, possibly because of manufacturers not being able to keep up, or a lack of installers. 

A question that cannot be answered, I'm afraid.

They want the S&C to lose all boxes and semaphores by 2020. I hope never

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any thoughts on where and when the very last semaphore signal on Network Rail will be decomissioned?

I dont think it will ever happen, you only have to look at shrewsbury and you will see that its a 'site of historic interest'/heritage site (whatever they are called) so im led to believe the signals cant be replaced, when they renewed one at crewe jn they had to replace it with a new semaphore rather than a colour light, (the new gantry is a bit overkill though!)

• RMweb Premium

My guess is that the last semaphores will be the ones around the swing bridges. NR openly admitt at the moment to having no idea how to transfer them to the ROC's!

Andy G

(who doens't have any semaphores to play with ;-{ )

I dont think it will ever happen, you only have to look at shrewsbury and you will see that its a 'site of historic interest'/heritage site (whatever they are called) so im led to believe the signals cant be replaced, when they renewed one at crewe jn they had to replace it with a new semaphore rather than a colour light, (the new gantry is a bit overkill though!)

Dearly as I would like this to be the case, it's hard to believe that there will still be semaphores on the network in 100, or even 50 years. I thought that new semaphore instalations such as at Crewe Junction and at the south end of Banbury were put in place for some obscure technical reason. Surely they will be removed when the whole are is resignalled as is envisaged for Banbury in the next couple of years.

My guess is that the last semaphores will be the ones around the swing bridges. NR openly admitt at the moment to having no idea how to transfer them to the ROC's!

Andy G

(who doens't have any semaphores to play with ;-{ )

I'm not sure that follows - for instance the semaphore signals on both bridges over the Caledonian Canal had their semaphores removed when their respective lines went over to radio signalling (although manned boxes were retained to operate the bridge).

• RMweb Gold

The middle one always leaves me wondering how many modellers are likely over the years to copy those GWR centre pivot arms mounted upside down!    Quite why they were arranged like that is no doubt lost in the mists of time but I've a fairly good idea they were unique and pretty definitely are unique today as centre pivot arms are now extremely rarer, alas.

• RMweb Premium

The middle one always leaves me wondering how many modellers are likely over the years to copy those GWR centre pivot arms mounted upside down!    Quite why they were arranged like that is no doubt lost in the mists of time but I've a fairly good idea they were unique and pretty definitely are unique today as centre pivot arms are now extremely rarer, alas.

I recall, many years ago, the down starter at Yatton being a centre pivot arm underhung from a wooden bracket doll and post assembly sited almost at the platform end. I believe it originally also had a second underslung arm for the Cheddar branch on the same bracket assembly.

• RMweb Gold

Any reason why the signal is off, yet the catch point is set to go straight ahead?

Is the signal still connected as if the line ahead hadn't been truncated?

The signal refers to the main line, which is to our right. The double ground signal is the one we are waiting for, and they are at danger.

• RMweb Gold

I recall, many years ago, the down starter at Yatton being a centre pivot arm underhung from a wooden bracket doll and post assembly sited almost at the platform end. I believe it originally also had a second underslung arm for the Cheddar branch on the same bracket assembly.

The Down Main Inner Home at Yatton West was indeed at one time a splitting signal and in fact underslung centre pivot signals were quite common on the Western with many being mounted off the station roof structure instead of in a more conventional manner some of those lasting into the early 1970s.  I'm reasonably sure that the Up Main Inner Home at Liskeard is probably the last surviving example on the national network but there is of course a very nice (working) preserved example of an underslung splitting signal with centre pivot arms at Bewdley on the SVR.

And a very nice example of a facing point locking bar as well, not to mention a comparatively rare elevated WR double disc signal using the earlier pattern larger diameter disc faces!

• RMweb Gold

Any reason why the signal is off, yet the catch point is set to go straight ahead?

Is the signal still connected as if the line ahead hadn't been truncated?

Welcome to the joys of shrewsbury!!

I must admit i do enjoy taking my new trainees through shrewsbury, everything they have learned in the classroom just goes out of the window round there, im in a fortunate postion that i first signed it with arriva wales so am familiar with all the shunt moves round there of which there are quite a few, some of which i have had to do with colas during times of distruption, in fact only 2 week ago i had to take the log train into abbey forgate yard as tge signaller couldnt get the points over to send me down the main towards telford, wierd thing about the protecting signal is it is mounted on the right hand side of the line but the associated shunt disc is on the left hand side!

"They will all be gone in 20 years" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's what I was told when transferring to a BR signalling design office in the very early 1980's....  ;)

• RMweb Gold

"They will all be gone in 20 years" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's what I was told when transferring to a BR signalling design office in the very early 1980's....  ;)

In the 1980s my Regional S&T Engineer abolished all locking fitters posts on the region. During the consultation on the reorganisation I asked him why and he said that very soon there would be no mechanical locking alterations for them to do. Given the rate of signalling investment taking place I calculated that on a linear basis it would take 120 years to abolish all of the mechanical frames in use at the time. Thirty years on the rate has picked up a bit but it's still a fair bet that somewhere they will outlive me. 

Based on the last estimate I heard I'd say Tyseley. Planned resignal year is 2047. This could have changed though.

In the meantime here are a few signals to keep us going

A relatively rare nowadays yellow shunt signal at Melton Mowbray

post-14887-0-46489500-1418983397.jpg

An interesting mix of styles at Clacton

post-14887-0-16805500-1418983471.jpg

Fiskerton's distant with wooden post

post-14887-0-99491700-1418983525.jpg

Will look out a few more over next few days.

Andy

Further confusing with this old favourite centre pivot at Liskeard with the lenses in conventional position. See Mikey's link for further shots

post-9992-0-15585500-1418993975.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Archived