More First Great Western sleeper engine problems

First Great Westerns Night Riviera service has been suffering from low availability of the Class 57/6 fleet now that two of the four locomotives are in Derby for works. The hired in locomotive from DRS, No. 57310, is also a source of problems and after multiple failures during the preceding weeks FGW have said no more, and the locomotive is due to be dragged to London tonight to be changed.

The locomotive sat down at Exeter this morning and had to be dragged by two power cars Nos. 43149 and 43187, with the train seen passing Dainton bank. Tonight's train is due to start at Plymouth no Penzance.

Antony Christie

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/more-problems-for-fgw-sleepers-rescued.html

Due to be back to back PCs again tonight

Current status of the 57s

57602, RVEL, awaiting overhauled bogies from Wabtec.

57603, in service.

57604, restricted use, wheelflats.

57605, RVEL, under overhaul.

57610, keeps failing with coolant pressure issues, especially at going slowly round the high cant curve between Exwick Fields and Okehampton Road Bridge.

57303 is due to replace 57610

Part of the problem is that 57602 has been waiting for replacement bogies/wheel sets for a very long time

• RMweb Gold

I suppose all the wiring's different etc etc, but for a longer-term option couldn't they marshall the sleepers between a pair of HST power cars on a semi-permanent basis?

With an awful lot of work - and it would probably cost too much so very unlikely.  Far more likely I would expect to see a change in the type of loco used depending on what's available in the hire market.

• RMweb Premium

With an awful lot of work - and it would probably cost too much so very unlikely.  Far more likely I would expect to see a change in the type of loco used depending on what's available in the hire market.

I believe a few 67's may be coming spare from Chiltern Trains soon.........................

Cheers,

Mick

At some time in the early '80's I did observe and photograph (remember that quaint technology?) one of the Aberdeen-Glagow-Edinburgh push-pull sets heading north to Aberdeen near Cove with a single MkIII sleeper marshalled between the 47/7 and the PP set. The sleeper was in the corporate blue-grey livery and the set in the Scotrail colours. Presumably the sleeper was being transferred to the depot in Aberdeen. 

Must dig the photo out! 

At some time in the early '80's I did observe and photograph (remember that quaint technology?) one of the Aberdeen-Glagow-Edinburgh push-pull sets heading north to Aberdeen near Cove with a single MkIII sleeper marshalled between the 47/7 and the PP set. The sleeper was in the corporate blue-grey livery and the set in the Scotrail colours. Presumably the sleeper was being transferred to the depot in Aberdeen. 

Must dig the photo out! 

Details on that working here, scrol down to post 8.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16907-mk3-sleeper-trains-bluegrey-livery/

Jim

• RMweb Gold

A picture to show the power cars about to work the Up sleeper off Plymouth with 57310 in tow

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/more-problems-for-fgws-part-2.html

Antony

But a far from comfortable trip for the punters passengers alas - mind you I suppose washing in cold water is meant to be healthy :jester:

Archived