Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock discussion

2ManySpams

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

There's a list on www.semgonline.com. I think it's missing the most recent ones, but it's pretty comprehensive.

Hi John,

many thanks - just had a search on www.semgonline.com but couldn't find the list - can you be more specific where to find it?

cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

R4298A-G were, in order, 7665, 7666, 7671, 7672, 7224, 7667, so three from 469, two from 470. There seems not have been a R4298F. Odd. 7224 was a loose vehicle until 1959 - you could use that as a substitute for one of the missing ones on the basis that the regular vehicle was in shops for exceptional work.

And unless your eyesight is exceptional, in normal running Maunsell coach numbers take some reading! 

I have no doubt you have seen in Gould the pic of an Atlantic with 469, including two Pullmans, but am unable to help with identities

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Richard Jones said:

Hi John,

many thanks - just had a search on www.semgonline.com but couldn't find the list - can you be more specific where to find it?

cheers

Richard

There's a list of coach sets here - http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html. It's an Excel spreadsheet so you'll need the Excel viewer if you don't already have Excel on your PC.  The download link is towards the bottom of the page. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, RFS said:

There's a list of coach sets here - http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html. It's an Excel spreadsheet so you'll need the Excel viewer if you don't already have Excel on your PC.  The download link is towards the bottom of the page. 

Or an OpenOffice or LibreOffice installation with their spreadsheet programs that can also read Excel files.

28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

R4298A-G were, in order, 7665, 7666, 7671, 7672, 7224, 7667, so three from 469, two from 470. There seems not have been a R4298F. Odd. 7224 was a loose vehicle until 1959 - you could use that as a substitute for one of the missing ones on the basis that the regular vehicle was in shops for exceptional work.

And unless your eyesight is exceptional, in normal running Maunsell coach numbers take some reading! 

I have no doubt you have seen in Gould the pic of an Atlantic with 469, including two Pullmans, but am unable to help with identities

Thanks Ian,

That sums up  where I had got to on the Firsts, I just wondered if the missing "F" might be one of set 470!

I must have a look to see if any of the high window variants are suitable for central section, but have a feeling that what I need aren't available in SR olive.....

cheers

Richard

55 minutes ago, RFS said:

Many thanks Robert & Ian J

- that is, indeed,  an excellent spreadsheet, which I downloaded many years ago - what I was looking for was a list of the numbers carried by the Hornby models, if there was such a thing - if not I probably have almost enough information now to generate one!

cheers

Richard

Edited by Richard Jones

• 1 month later...

The number of doors on the COMPARTMENT side will determine whether it's a Third or a First - though a Composite would confuse the issue ! ....... yes, the majority of Firsts ( and Compos ) were formed in sets though there were exceptions ......... there were zillions of loose Thirds, of course : Gould gives details : what date/period are you aiming at ?

No problem going for Restriction 1* - slightly flatten the turnunder on the bodysides and file the locating ribs on the ends to suit : the width at floor and cantrail level was virtually the same as Restriction 4 ! ( Drawings in  Mike Kings 'bible' should show the shape you're aiming at.)

* though without Gould in front of me I can't comment on the loose or set status of the Firsts. 

• Thanks 1

The Maunsell low-window R4 Corridor Firsts were 7208-7227, 7665-7674. 7665-67 were initially formed in Set 469 and 7671-74 in set 470; 7668-70 were for the Newhaven Boat set. All the others were 'loose'. 7666/67 were released to 'loose' from 469 and 7671-74 from 470 in 1933.

FKs 7218 and 7219 were formed in sets 206 and 207 in 1931; 7211-7213, 7215 and 7225 were formed in sets 244-247 and 430 in 1933; 7216 and 7222 were formed in sets 248 and 327 in 1936. All these 'new' sets were otherwise formed of high-window stock. 7227 was condemned with fire damage, 8/36.

If you are going to use them for the R1 equivalents then there were only 8 of those, 7390-97. All of them were formed into sets 465/66 (4 in each, in order). 7392 and 7395/96 were 'loose' in 1933, having been released from the sets they were originally allocated to.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, here's a picture of a four car R1 set just north of Balcombe.  R1 sets seem to have been most unusual on the Central section. We have a set of Roxey R1s to build.

Balcombe H2 + R1 a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice pic, John! As I’m away from references at present (on 06.57 Plymouth - Padlington, en route Railex) I can’t think where on the former Brighton district R1 applied - other than through trains between Grove Junc and Tonbridge?

• Thanks 1

The train is a special and, judging by the fact that a special headcode has been allocated, an inter-Divisional special at that because specials within a Division would normally carry the nearest relevant route headcode. I wondered about the possibility of a Portsmouth-Chatham naval special.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was a couple of R1 'commuter' sets introduced (465/66) to replace the initial R4 sets which were transferred away due to clearance issues in Lewes tunnel, set 470 suffering a couple of scrapes there. So while not exactly common, it was not unknown for there to be R1 stock in regular use on the ex-LBSC lines east of the Brighton main line, at least until electrification...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/05/2019 at 17:05, talisman56 said:

There was a couple of R1 'commuter' sets introduced (465/66) to replace the initial R4 sets which were transferred away due to clearance issues in Lewes tunnel, set 470 suffering a couple of scrapes there. So while not exactly common, it was not unknown for there to be R1 stock in regular use on the ex-LBSC lines east of the Brighton main line, at least until electrification...

The 'Nondescripts' were R1, of course, and could turn up pretty well anywhere as strengtheners .......... and the 'Continental' brakes which were a familiar feature of the Newhaven Boats were R1 too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

......... and the 'Continental' brakes which were a familiar feature of the Newhaven Boats were R1 too.

We have one being built!

1083144286_Continental1st.jpg.49423ca013f9ab047520a2c772b03bf4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

......... and the 'Continental' brakes which were a familiar feature of the Newhaven Boats were R1 too.

We have one being built!

Worsley Works do a range of SECR 'Continentals' http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Pregroup_SECR.htm   

Section at the bottom of the page.

'Kits comprise of sides with seperate droplights, ends with steps, 
floor with fold down trussing, where appropriate, and battery boxes'

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:02, Re6/6 said:

We have one being built!

Worsley Works do a range of SECR 'Continentals' http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Pregroup_SECR.htm   

Section at the bottom of the page.

'Kits comprise of sides with seperate droplights, ends with steps, 
floor with fold down trussing, where appropriate, and battery boxes'

Worsley Works are really missing several tricks in that they have a really interesting range of etched stuff and will produce something in 4mm from their 3mm range if you want, but they seem to keep themselves a bit low profile. OK you have to do quite a lot to get a 'kit' but the range of sides for conversions is impressive.

Phil

P.S. Nice 'Continental' by the way,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:34, 2ManySpams said:

I don't have a FK, not much use in most West of England sets, but they have accurately modelled the differences in the other coaches. The CK and SK have the appropriate 7 and 8 compartments for instance and accurately reflect the different body styles. I have no reason to  think the FK and CK would use the same body shell. The FKs didn't sell well and can often be found in bargain bins.

'Bargain' FKs good for conversions....however taking a cutting disc/cutter saw to any Hornby Maunsell makes me feel really guilty.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Worsley Works are really missing several tricks in that they have a really interesting range of etched stuff and will produce something in 4mm from their 3mm range if you want, but they seem to keep themselves a bit low profile. OK you have to do quite a lot to get a 'kit' but the range of sides for conversions is impressive.

Phil

P.S. Nice 'Continental' by the way,

12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

'Bargain' FKs good for conversions....however taking a cutting disc/cutter saw to any Hornby Maunsell makes me feel really guilty.

P

I got hold of the Worsley etches for the Continental 1st brake but I felt that they were incredibly flimsy and so I gave up; I had not really considered just using them as sides on a donor body, but then I am not sure what would be suitable.

I'd be interested to know whether the one pictured has been braced in any way in order to give it more strength?

Nevertheless, I agree about the range available from Worsley.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1