Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock discussion

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Apologies but have just seen this whilst trawling through the absolute sh#te on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRG-PHOENIX-BSL-SR-MAUNSELL-59-COACHES-RAKE-OF-8/143268865297?hash=item215b7d6511:g:o3EAAOSwdINcz0NC&frcectupt=true

Tony I agree about those sides and I have had some (e.g. Comet LMS Sleeping Car sides from years back).

I used strips of brass soldered almost the length of the sides; got to be careful about distortion but I got away with it. makes a lot of difference but I've not done any Worsley ones like that. 

As for donor body for the coach that started this discussion......no ideas, sorry as I don't know my stock well enough Worsley might do a floor pan though. I've not looked at their stuff for ages.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Might seem a bit crude, but epoxying something long and stiff inside of the coach body, like a cut down bicycle spoke is something i've seen done on long bogie bolster, would add some bracing and possibly depending on how it was arranged you could use it as something to assist with the roof placement?

On the topic of Worsley Works,  (no affiliation) if anyone was thinking about picking up any of their etched replacement sides, Allen needs to fill an 18"x12" sheet - so now's the time!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Allen's (WW) etches use 0.3mm (12 thou) for coach sides and 0.4mm (16 thou) for the underframes. Regarding strength, I find that that it is sufficient after the turnunder or tumblehome is formed (whichever is your preference!).

I do agree Phil that if strengthening is required using soldered brass, care must be taken to avoid distortion. I would  favour using 'Super Steel' epoxy for strengthening slab sided etches.

WW 4-LAV driving coach

20190603_091521.jpg.49027debc4042b805dd3743fde2693cd.jpg

Worsley upper (supplied for our 4-LAV trailers), Comet lower. Very similar. I'm not sure if Allen would supply separate underframe etches.

20190603_085724.jpg.112768fc63924054cc81c5df24f2981b.jpg

A very fine example of a WW 'Continental B/3rd' built by somebody on here. Sorry, can't remember who.

1918346251_WorsleyContinentalBk3rd.jpg.bb1deadc220e7527035393777369eb2c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

"used" ...... really ? - what for ?

No idea buddy but I know some people crave these kits. Nit me thought for sure.

Seller can't call it new can they so used is there, however he/she could have been a bit clearer in the write up. Fairly obviously a part of a buy up of some poor #### stuff left behind when they departed this mortal coil.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

No idea buddy but I know some people crave these kits. Nit me thought for sure.

Seller can't call it new can they so used is there, however he/she could have been a bit clearer in the write up. Fairly obviously a part of a buy up of some poor #### stuff left behind when they departed this mortal coil.

P

Not nesser-celery ! ........... could be owner has had these in stock for donkey's years with the intention of building then one day - knowing full well that the trade would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS produce Maunsell coaches. ( Wouldn't be the only one ! )

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Starting at £31 each is dear for what is essentially 'old school' stuff. I've built a fair few BSL kits in the past (70s!) and a really quite good model can result but quality has moved on.

42 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

.......................could be owner has had these in stock for donkey's years with the intention of building then one day - ....................

Me too. I have a drawer full of GWR ones, some with wooden roofs, waiting to be built....sometime....!

• Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Starting at £31 each is dear for what is essentially 'old school' stuff. I've built a fair few BSL kits in the past (70s!) and a really quite good model can result but quality has moved on .........................

............... and you can pick up ready to run Maunsells for little more than £31 ( or little less if yer lucky ! ).

Hello, 

The exSECR Continental Brake 3rd was built by myself a couple of years ago now along with a Maunsell Non-descript Brake 2nd, for the "Continental Short Sea Route" boat train.

As a scratch aid the kits are pretty good in my opinion and with abit of work and added details they turn out not too bad.

Regards

Chris White

20151109_231148.jpg

20151109_231248.jpg

20160125_193414.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Thank you John and Jack for your kind comments.

I thought I'd post a couple of photographs of the Non-Descript Maunsell Brake and Inspection Saloon DS1 for you too.

The former is from a Roxey Mouldings kit with added underframe details and the latter from the Southwark Bridge range, which are now also available from Mr Hammersley at Roxey Mouldings as well.

Regards

Chris White

20160125_193543.jpg

20160125_193457.jpg

20160125_193658.jpg

Edited by chris25
Grammar
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

Chris, those are fantastic..  May I humbly suggest starting your own thread? (I saw Photos of your L1's a while ago and they are seriously good too) I can guarantee that i'm not the only one that would be interested in seeing more of your work!

I've got a donor Hornby Maunsell coach that I plan to fit replacement Non-descript brake sides to, and this certainly gives me something to aspire to.

• Agree 3

Hello Jack,

I have thought about starting my own thread for years to be honest but have never got around to it! Though I will give it serious consideration as I have lots of project I am working on at the moment.

My own modelling interest is exSECR/SR/BRS in Kent from 1950 until 1960 or stage two of the electrification, which saw steam disappear from the mainlines. Sadly though I was born far too late to see any of it.

I actually have been watching your thread for sometime and am very impressed with your painting and weathering.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I have two random questions I'm hoping will be easy for others to answer.

I have some old Kirk Maunsell's I like the bodies having worked on them, but am less keen on the chassis. Is it possible to use a comet underframe or is that totally wrong (they are a lot cheaper than the Roxey alternative (which is wonderful, just too expensive at the moment)?

The other question is if someone could suggest what underframe would be most suitable for an Ironclad SR D.414 & 136 Pull Push set? - Could I use one of the Hornby LSWR coach underframes for example?

Thanks in advance and sorry for going off topic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2019 at 11:28, chris25 said:

Hello, 

The exSECR Continental Brake 3rd was built by myself a couple of years ago now along with a Maunsell Non-descript Brake 2nd, for the "Continental Short Sea Route" boat train.

As a scratch aid the kits are pretty good in my opinion and with abit of work and added details they turn out not too bad.

Regards

Chris White

20151109_231148.jpg

20151109_231248.jpg

20160125_193414.jpg

On 10/06/2019 at 08:45, chris25 said:

Thank you John and Jack for your kind comments.

I thought I'd post a couple of photographs of the Non-Descript Maunsell Brake and Inspection Saloon DS1 for you too.

The former is from a Roxey Mouldings kit with added underframe details and the latter from the Southwark Bridge range, which are now also available from Mr Hammersley at Roxey Mouldings as well.

Regards

Chris White

20160125_193543.jpg

20160125_193457.jpg

20160125_193658.jpg

Exquisite modelling of the highest standard Chris!

Tony

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

The other question is if someone could suggest what underframe would be most suitable for an Ironclad SR D.414 & 136 Pull Push set? - Could I use one of the Hornby LSWR coach underframes for example?

I'm interested to know this too!

20 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I have some old Kirk Maunsell's I like the bodies having worked on them, but am less keen on the chassis. Is it possible to use a comet underframe or is that totally wrong (they are a lot cheaper than the Roxey alternative (which is wonderful, just too expensive at the moment)?

Comet may well do a suitable length / wheelbase chassis for one or both these types - but beware the arrangement of the truss rods which might not be right if designed for something different.

No, a 'Hornby LSWR coach' underframe would NOT be suitable for any Ironclad as the LSWR coaches in question were cut 'n' spliced onto standard Maunsell underframes ( which would suit your Kirk's IF you can get hold of them as spares ). The Ironclads used a rod-trussed chassis with inside-facing solebars ( don't be fooled by BR toolvan conversions with angle-iron trusses ) so your best bet for a chassis would be good 'ol Phoenix ( appropriate bogies too ) ..... I'm not sure whether Branchlines still do the chassis detailing kit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Comet may well do a suitable length / wheelbase chassis for one or both these types - but beware the arrangement of the truss rods which might not be right if designed for something different.

No, a 'Hornby LSWR coach' underframe would NOT be suitable for any Ironclad as the LSWR coaches in question were cut 'n' spliced onto standard Maunsell underframes ( which would suit your Kirk's IF you can get hold of them as spares ). The Ironclads used a rod-trussed chassis with inside-facing solebars ( don't be fooled by BR toolvan conversions with angle-iron trusses ) so your best bet for a chassis would be good 'ol Phoenix ( appropriate bogies too ) ..... I'm not sure whether Branchlines still do the chassis detailing kit.

Thanks for the information, there was me hoping it would be simple.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Mike King's book  "Southern Coaches Survey; Pre-Grouping and BR Mk 1 Stock"  has been advertised on and off for some time, Crecy are now saying it will be out in Thursday 31 October, 2019.

http://www.crecy.co.uk/southern-coaches-survey-pre-grouping-and-br-mk-1-stock

We will see whether this happens.

Another one for the GROANING bookshelves ! ............... I'm surprised he's covering "Bulleid and Maunsell designed vans" again - maybe not in the same detail as before ?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2019 at 15:52, CarriageShed said:

And Dapol are working on Maunsell high window stock (in N gauge, at least). Yet more Maunsells to chose from.

I can't find any further info on the Dapol website. Has anyone any news before I contact Dapol ?

Gerry

I know they were looking at the final livery details (including the identities of the proposed sets and loose coaches) last month (July). We'll probably know more at the Club Open Day next month - any news and I'll flag it here - and elsewhere...

Edited by talisman56