Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock discussion

2ManySpams

Thanks again - yes I've now downloaded the xls and have already found it very helpful. I was fortunate enough to snap up a couple of bargain BCK and BTK on Ebay last night so my collecton of  yet to be made Ian Kirk high window kits can breathe a sigh of relief...

On 07/07/2020 at 11:44, cabbie37 said:

..... Presumably, to all intents and purposes - apart from the change in window profile - the carriages are the same 'standard'...

As with all things 'railway', the term 'standard' should be treated with extreme caution : 'low window' Maunsell coaches may have started off with single rainstrips - and may or may not have gained a second one later whereas the 'high' window' variant generally started out with two.

The 'high window' variant itself can be split into two types ; those with a single vent over each lavatory window and those with a twin vent - seems an insignificant modification BUT at ( about ? ) the same time the chassis was reversed so the dynamo appeared under the corridor rather than under the compartment side ....................... AAAGH !

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It appears that the SR Diagrams concerned the internal layout of the vehicles, not any external differences, as the Diagram Numbers for the low- and first period high-window Maunsells were the same, and stayed the same through the change to double vents and the chassis turnround. However, a triflingly small change such as the provision of a sliding door to the guards compartment from the side corridor of a BTK (instead of a hinged door) necessitated a new Diagram to be issued...

I made myself a reference sheet...:

image.png.8f09a8885b52539ab08fb4821845327b.pngMaunsell

Edited by talisman56
A couple of corrections in the table

On 12/07/2020 at 21:55, Wickham Green too said:

Exactly - Diagrams were issued for the staff to work out what each vehicle could take ( whether passenger or goods ) and how much track space it would take up, how much loco-power was needed to haul it etc. ............. the 'cosmetics' of windows was totally irrelevant.

There were two types of Diagrams - that for the rolling stock design - as my post above, and the Operating Diagrams which specified which rolling stock was used on the timetabled services (detailed in the Appendices to the Carriage Working Notices), as in your post. .

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2020 at 17:16, talisman56 said:

It appears that the SR Diagrams concerned the internal layout of the vehicles, not any external differences, as the Diagram Numbers for the low- and first period high-window Maunsells were the same, and stayed the same through the change to double vents and the chassis turnround. However, a triflingly small change such as the provision of a sliding door to the guards compartment from the side corridor of a BTK (instead of a hinged door) necessitated a new Diagram to be issued...

I made myself a reference sheet...:

image.png.5f5c2fa4b1e75de40c23a640b8ed627e.png

Looks like you finished off the task I started on page 1 of the thread...

post-6675-0-25998800-1418858806.jpg.d16e7760cd88b457029ce9570ef40794.jpg

Would you mind if I added your tables in to the page 1 post? Suitably acknowledged of course.

6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Looks like you finished off the task I started on page 1 of the thread...

Would you mind if I added your tables in to the page 1 post? Suitably acknowledged of course.

No problem. I spotted a couple of errors and have uploaded a corrected image in my original post.

I also have a contribution to the answer for Question 5: What RTR Maunsell coaches are available?

Rather than 'are available', this is 'have been produced' - and in 'N' Gauge. These are all low-window vehicles.

image.png.e083f5025f69bb1e5a1cb12cad01f257.pngD

The the vein of 'What sets can I make with a Hornby Brake Third coach?', the equivalent for the Dapol 'N' Gauge Maunsells. Where 'not modelled' is written, a suitably renumbered vehicle of the same type can be substituted (except for the P1a CK in the later guise of set 470 and P3 BTK in the post-war set 469, but watch this space for the announced high-window vehicles).

image.png.23aa23190fa085129b3c28fd0d8f995e.png

Edited by talisman56
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

wow just stumbled across this post excellent work on it. Ive just started modeling southern (have been modern image for years) currently have a M7 and a 2bil and this thread has helped with a short rake for the M7 on the new layout. the new layout is a small brach line near weymouth in the mid 30's

edited to add more info

Edited by hammy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hammy said:

wow just stumbled across this post excellent work on it. Ive just started modeling southern (have been modern image for years) currently have a M7 and a 2bil and this thread has helped with a short rake for the M7 on the new layout. the new layout is a small brach line near weymouth in the mid 30's

edited to add more info

Then a 2-BIL won't be much use to you.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, hammy said:

How come mate all new to southern used to modelling early 2000's 

Electrification only reached Bournemouth in 1967, and it was another 20 years before it reached Weymouth. By that time the Bils were long gone. In the 1930s the electrification only reached Alton and Portsmouth in 1937/8. No further significant main line electrification took place on the South Western until 1967.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Remember Rule 1.

Run what you like.

Tony

Love that rule but hoping to get the layout on the exhibition circuit in 2022 so want it as realistic as possible 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Sorry to crash the party but I am looking for images of the 'SDJR' low window coaches in use. They seem to be particulary elusive......

Thanks and Stay Safe

On 26/10/2020 at 09:56, Jack Benson said:

Sorry to crash the party but I am looking for images of the 'SDJR' low window coaches in use. They seem to be particulary elusive......

Thanks and Stay Safe

The only accessable one I can find is this one of a stopping service at Masbury Summit posted by Matt Pinto on the Dapol Digest forum...

Looks like there's a high-window TK 'swinger' on the back.

Masbury_Summit_2121861_732ab59f.jpg.3f9e730b4ae6d45cda55a4287ce192d1.jpg

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

A quick check through my negative collection of what is already scanned produced a couple . 40696 accelerating away past Templecombe steam shed on the SDJR, with I believe, the 3.16pm Evercreech-Bournemouth stopper in April 1956

image.png.93efe211f22ca3c0e4b347bcb4aa5237.png

3.20pm to TEMPLECOMBE leaving BATH GREEN PARK on Thursday 12th  January 1961 with 40563

image.png.83bab3278d4b9029235da459ab5a48bf.png

40697 arriving at Bath on Saturday 3rd September 1960

image.png.b7c72dcf3157e0c2c6f3650b0cc4c586.png

Bath Green Park on Thursday 15th September 1960. 75027 on the 4.35 pm  to Templecombe

image.png.38b113dc130fbe3e87b899fe9c0dc12a.png

44560 leaving Bath for Templecombe on Saturday 25th February 1961

image.png.267eb3253af298c501c2f8041432404e.png

Hope they are helpful

Best wishes

Duncan

Edited by Blandford1969
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I especially love the Stove R attached to a stopping passenger train. When mine is finished I'll be able to run exactly that formation with that loco....

The shot of the ex-LSWR former Restaurant Car transferred to breakdown duties has placed another of my Tri-ang "green caleys" in mortal danger. Anybody got a pic of the other side?

John 

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I especially love the Stove R attached to a stopping passenger train. When mine is finished I'll be able to run exactly that formation with that loco....

The shot of the ex-LSWR former Restaurant Car transferred to breakdown duties has placed another of my Tri-ang "green caleys" in mortal danger. Anybody got a pic of the other side?

John 

John, 

I believe that the LSWR coach was one of those featured as a conversion by the late Terry Gough in Railway Modeller, Feb 68

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 17:56, Jack Benson said:

Thanks and Stay Safe

Hi Jack,

There are many pictures of Maunsell Low Window stock in Ivo Peters' books on the Somerset and Dorset, in particular the two 1950s ones and also 'An English Cross Country Railway' one. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Kind regards,

Iain

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2020 at 22:33, Dunsignalling said:

John 

Hi John,

A Stove R was often conveyed on the 4.37pm Bath - Templecombe having arrived in Bath in the early hours of the morning with the 12.37am Leicester - Bath parcels. At Templecombe it was marshalled into the 8.25pm Templecombe - Derby perishable service. There's a good article on this train in the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust's Bulletin 129.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1